No announcement yet.

Hotel Dusk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It pretty much is. I think the art style got everyone salivting, but the game mechanics are like something from the two word parser text adventures of the early eighties.

I finished it ages ago but sold it recently as I was never going to go back to it.

Comment

Thanks. Just been reading some impressions on GAF as well, and yeah under the surface it seems to be incredibly basic and very frustrating because of it.

Think I'll give someone else the chance to see if they love it or hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
        Nobody able to tell me if this is indicative of the rest of the game? I'll get rid if it is.
        It is really. The story does pick up the longer you play it, but judging Hotel Dusk as a game I do agree it's quite shallow. I'm tempted to say Hotel Dusk plays more like a visual novel in a way, though obviously you don't get the options to choose how the story goes.

For some reason though I was compelled to finish it anyway, despite the flaws. It was unlike anything else I played before.

Comment

I just finished this. It's an interesting piece. As gaanbo says, it's more of a visual novel than a game, managing to significantly eclipse Phoenix Wright in that attribute. But it's a very well written novel. The story's not extraordinary, but the conversation of the characters is certainly of the highest par that I've ever encountered in gaming.

Definitely needs faster text scrolling though. Much.... much.... faster.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can fast text scroll by holding one of the bumper buttons.

Comment

It speeds up slightly, but it's still pretty ponderous. There is a faster scroll, but that's only available after you've already been through section of text, like after a game over, for instance.

Comment

Working...
              X