Nodame canterbille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nodame canterbille

I was not aware of this game till Importaku briefly mentioned it in the Ontanama thread.

First of all this game is a bit strange, but strange in a good way i feel.

You can tell the developers (Namco Bandai), have taken a look at other music/action games on the market, but hey ho this ensures we get something we know works.

Essentially this is a conductor game, you get notes that move from the top of the screen and beats that move from right to left, when the note and beats meet, you must tap to play the sound. However you get ones high up and low down, and if you are talented enough to be able to keep an eye on the top screen, you will see this results in the conductor moving his baton.

The music selection is very impressive, i thought i had no clue about classical music but every one of the 20 or so songs i have played i have recognised.

The game takes place in what i think is a small town or maybe even university as from the pictures, as lot of people you come across seam to be music novices. After a while you are no longer a cool guy with an afro, but seam to take on an older more respectful looking character, this could still be the same character from the begining as you get better and more committed to your work.

However the game randomly throws in mini games, and when i say randomly it is very random.

One of the mini games has you running a race on what maybe the moon, you have to avoid objects and grab balls on your way to a spaceship.

The next has you sorting items in your room, you have to sort 15 items before the time runs out.

The game also has some songs that do not require you to conduct but drum.

These take place in Taiko no Tatsujin mode, but it is still within the main story.

The game starts off very easy, but is starting to get a bit harder. Not only do you have to contend with hitting the notes but some require to trace the shadow of the note behind it. Think of it like the ball tracing bits in Ouendan.

I am enjoying this immensely can't believe it slipped past.

While the game is very text heavy in the story it has no bearing on the game which is still easy to navigate/play.
    Last edited by The Mole; 23-06-2007, 19:14.

Nice to hear of some first impressions (^_^)

Sounds like a definate purchase then, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by importaku; 23-06-2007, 20:12.

Comment

Yeah i got mine from play-asia

The game also has multiplayer and a demo send function.

Comment

If its the same as the anime then its based in a music college.

From your impressions it sounds pretty good. Every time I come into the First Play forums I see another game that makes me want a DS. Don't really know how much longer I can hold out!

Comment

From the reactions I saw on GameFAQs the general impression seemed to be it was pretty good, just very, very easy. I wouldn't mind trying it myself, I really think the anime's excellent.

And it's "Nodame Cantabile". </spelling Nazi> Nodame, the female lead; Cantabile, "in the style of a song" or "in a singing style".

Comment

I was going to mention the incorrect spelling, but thought it might seem a bit pedantic. Glad someone else mentioned it as it was starting to annoy me

Comment

The Lady is a big Nodame fan (as am I, secretly) and this game does a great job on its fanservice, opening staght off with Nodame dressed in her mongoose outfit, complete with pianica. The gameplay is simplistic and leans on the easy side (mainly since there doesn't seem to be any penalty for missing notes, only rewards for hitting them), but that is exactly where it is aimed; it's really a title for the fans of the manga, anime or even the Live Action series. It's fun, but the charm lies in the series it's based upon. The aforementioned moon platforming level is based on Nodame's favourite cartoon series, Puri Gorata (sp?) and there's a cleaning mini game where you sort items from Nodame's ever-messy room. My personal favourite bits are the Taiko drumming sections with everyone's favoure afro'd, gay timpanist, Masami.

For Japanese readers there's quite an extensive ream of unlockable info bytes, both about the manga, it's characters and plotline, and also about all the composers and the music featured in the series. for the non-Japanese literate, we can all just giggle at Nodame dressed up as each composer instead.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much there for anyone other than fans of classical music or fans of Nodame itself, but the game is all there and a good laugh, though I wouldn't expect anything too substantial gameplay-wise from what is largely an operation of fanservice, albeit quite a fun one.
              Last edited by Chief H; 24-06-2007, 15:34.

Comment

I loved the live action series, got me into the manga as well. Was looking into this a while ago but glad its had good feedback - cheers ^^

Comment

Noticed that this is PA's deal of the week.

Thinking of getting it but am concerned that it might be a bit text heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron View Post
                    Noticed that this is PA's deal of the week.

Thinking of getting it but am concerned that it might be a bit text heavy.
                    Just completed it last night. Lots of Japanese text between the songs but you can just click through it (you can't skip it, just keep banging away with the stylus).
                    I had no problems playing it, just depends if you want to understand the story.

I enjoyed that game, a little short for someone just interested in the rhythm parts. It's slightly extended by the three difficulty modes (once the song is unlocked, click the blue menu bar then select the taiko or music icon).

5 Taiko songs and 24 normal ones.

Comment

Ordered it! I think I can put up with a bit of text at just ?7.

Comment

Mine just arrived, it seems as easy to get into for non-Japanese readers as Ouendan.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I picked it up as im a huge fan of the anime, tv show and manga. The gameplay is rediculously easy, dont go expecting difficulty spikes on an ouendan level. Just wish there was more of those taiko levels, man i love them.

Comment

Both Ouendan's frustrate me. I don't consider myself to be very good at either of them. This sounds like it may be my cup of tea. Sadly the battery just ran out on my DS so I shall have to wait until I get home to give it a proper go now.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Got this on order, what I saw of the anime was great so I'm quite looking forward to this arriving.

When you say the gameplay is incredibly easy, is there no challenge at all, or is it just easier than other rhythm-action games?

Comment

Working...
                              X