Project Gotham Racing 4 - Xbox 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Gotham Racing 4 - Xbox 360

Got this today from VG+ and first impressions is that it's fantastic! It is a huge game with 2 single player modes, Arcade Mode and Gotham Career. I've only played Arcade mode so far so I'll post about the new Gotham Career mode later.

Arcade Mode is classic PGR. Those of you who are new to PGR it's basically 10 chapters with different events where you gamble with your difficulty level by choosing different medals to aim for. If you choose a harder difficulty and fail, it means you have to start again, but successfully completing these higher difficulty levels means more rewards (e.g achievements and cars). The further you get through arcade mode the faster cars you unlock. In arcade mode you get events like racing, cone challengers, one on one, eliminator, and Timed Kudos etc.

Graphically it's stunning, one of the best looking racers I've ever seen. Watching replays of the night levels in Vegas with thunder and lighting are breathtaking. Car models look amazing (as they did in PRG 3) but with rain on the cars it adds even more to the realism. The only moan I can give about the visuals is it looks a bit grainy in the very far distance, but that's only because I'm trying to pick fault with it because it looks so good. You can see the improvements in the buildings too, from what I've seen so far they all look 3D at each angle, and are not just tacked on photos. It runs very smooth at a consistent 30FPS (end of discussion lol). I also love the first person view, they've added body roll physics back into the game just like in PGR 1, so you really get a feel for it when you are turning.

The sounds is awesome too, they've really put passion into this game and you can tell when it comes to the audio side of things. It doesn't just use the usual brum, brum, skid sound FX, everything has been suited for each car (and bike). For those of you who are playing it in 5.1 you're going to love the sound you get when overtaking a motorbike as it changes from front to back speaker.

The handling is great, every car I have driven had handled differently so far. I've not tried the super cars yet so my thoughts might change. Also it's solid driving in heavy rain and snow, as it should be. Bikes are challenging to drive, you really have to break early and your race line totally changes from driving a car.

So far I haven't got a bad word to say about this game and I haven't even gone online with it yet!

More impressions later, but for now check out these images I uploaded to PGRNATIONS.COM

MM.
    Last edited by MarioMark; 04-10-2007, 15:43.

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
    In arcade mode you get events like racing, cone challengers, one on one, eliminator, and a new one call 'Timed Kudos' which I like. In Timed Kudos for example you get 1 minute to complete a number of laps, BUT the time given isn't enough to complete the race, so by earning kudos it freezes the clock to help you succeed, so keep pulling off those drifts and good corners to keep that clock down!
    Wasn't this (or something very similar) in 3? My old brain fails me right now
    Can you donut and spin out on the bikes? What happens with crashes from them, do you end up all over the road or are you stuck to it?

Comment

Sounds ace. Considering I played PGR3 almost every day for 12 months I really can't wait to play this and remain very excited despite being told they've ruined, it's jewel in the crown, cat and mouse.

Comment

Lucky swine

Timed Kudos isn't new btw !

Comment

nice impressions, certainly wetted my apetite for this game.................. come on ups pull your finger out

whats this i read theyve ruined cat and mouse? hope not this was a right laugh on pgr2.

Comment

Forgot to ask, MarioMark, what's Geometry Wars Waves like and how does it compare to Geometry Wars Evolved? I'm almost as excited about playing that as I am PGR4.

Comment

Originally posted by babs View Post
              Wasn't this (or something very similar) in 3? My old brain fails me right now
              Can you donut and spin out on the bikes? What happens with crashes from them, do you end up all over the road or are you stuck to it?
              Originally posted by Yoshimax View Post
              Lucky swine

Timed Kudos isn't new btw !
              It seemed new to me, I must have fluked it in the last one without realizing.

Sorry, there's a lot to take in right now, loads of things to do in it!

Edit: Will try G Wars later lol.

Comment

Can you donut and spin out on the bikes?
                Yes

What happens with crashes from them, do you end up all over the road or are you stuck to it?
                and yes

Comment

all sounds great !

how's the handling of the bikes ??

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                    Good God Almight that looks stunning

Shame I for some unknown reason feel completely turned off driving games atm and won't be picking this up yet !

Comment

Get it back in ya pants Force !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                        Forgot to ask, MarioMark, what's Geometry Wars Waves like and how does it compare to Geometry Wars Evolved? I'm almost as excited about playing that as I am PGR4.
                        Looks nice in this video!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I love the way the geometric enimies attack you in different formations.

If I remember correctly times kudos was in PGR3, allthough i'm sure your tired of hearing people say that!

Love the pic's, keep 'em coming.

Comment

Might sound a bit mental, but how's the music on the title screen? I'm a massive Prodigy fan and hearing that the menu changes to the exclusively made tune for PGR4 I can't wait to hear it (more so than playing it tbh)

Cheers

Comment

Boggy... the Prodigy track is BRIEFLY in the youtube video ^ for geometry wars. It's also in the trailers on Live Marketplace (if you cant wait)

Comment

Can't wait to play this. All those that are into the Photo Mode, upload your stuff to the flickr group here!

PGR4 Photoshoot!

Comment

Working...
                              X