The Orange Box (PC/PS3/360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Orange Box (PC/PS3/360)

Since I've already played HL2/ep1/TF2 before I'm not going to talk about them, but I did just clock ep2 and Portal.

Half Life 2 ep2:

Well, kickass. The game is far far better paced than ep1 and there is actually a fair amount of story moments. Theres quite a few places to go and explore unlike the previous corridor shooting of ep1. There isnt much I can say regarding story (for those who havent played ep1/hl2 or dont want to have any of ep2 spoiled) but I will say that I felt more questions opening up than answers given. Gameplay is more of the same, a lot of physics based puzzle solving, lots of shooting action and a fair amount of traveling about in a custom made car. There isnt much to stop the average player, I never got stuck but I will say that the game does have you on the edge of your seat a lot of the time. Best part is easily the music and the acting, I've been playing a lot of Halo 3 and while its good story wise, this just trumps it - I think this also trumps Bioshock regarding actors but maybe thats just me.

Portal: Awesome puzzling game, you have one weapon and only one objective - get from point A to B. It eases you in but within 1hr your going to be doing the complex multi-portal puzzle solving between moving platforms, burning acid and drones shooting at you like crazy. The atmosphere is very compelling from the get go, you feel like a lab rat in an expriment thats gone werid. If you completed ep2 you have a bit more context, but sadly this game isnt fleshed out in a ton of story. What is great is the sense of humour the game has and again the voice acting from the AI computer is great, espically in the last third of the game. Short but sweet (like cake!....) the game does have bonus missions and like ep2, commentary to extend the play time.

Well worth the cash! Sadly unless its in hard mode - no trailer for ep3 and frankly, that needs to come out ASAP.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

PC or 360?

Comment

PC, I got an ok rig so I have it at max settings.

Comment

any news on the ps3 version release date? need this now

Comment

Beginning of December I think is the US release date, not sure it's official though I'm just going from the Gamespot lists.

Comment

Got Half Life 2 on the PC and it looks stunning even now 3 years later. It runs well smooth with full settings on my laptop so there's no excuse for the console versions to lack in quality surely! Can anyone post any details on the technical aspects of the 360 version? Be nice if it had a quick framerate like the PC version, that's still one of the most optimized PC games now, it ran well on a lot of rigs, so I hope it's had a good port. I'll shut up now.

Edit: Just read this on the other thread:

Originally posted by Brats
            You know I normally hate FPS discussions, but apparently Valve said it should be 60fps:

Not a complete conformation, but some message board I read have also said it will be 60 fps.
            Cheers Brats
            Last edited by MarioMark; 10-10-2007, 21:15.

Comment

Does Portal include any more of those stickman animations from the video? Like as a tutorial or anything?

Comment

Not that I've seen, it's all wonderfully sinister though not tried Ep2 and we all know of TF2s merits

Comment

Picked this up at lunchtime and played about an hour of it.
                  Awesome, awesome package! I've only played Portal so far, so I can't really comment about the other games but I do intend to try out TF2 as soon as I get home. Back to Portal, the game is really original and fun. The puzzles are very well thought out and require you to use your surroundings and the portal gun in lots of different ways. I don't want to say too much but let's just say that you guys are in for a treat!

Comment

anyone confirm how many multiplayer maps there are? ive heard rumours theres only 6 on team fortress? that cant be right can it?

Comment

Thats what I read too.

Comment

I've read some comments ffrom people "in the biz" on other forums who've had this for a while that 360 HL2 is 30fps, and not a steady 30fps at that, which is a bit disappointing. Is this true?

Comment

on the plus side I hear its 1080p native, which is great for like the fifteen people with a 1080p native set.

oh wait, i'm one of them, woo!

Comment

Originally posted by anephric View Post
                            I've read some comments ffrom people "in the biz" on other forums who've had this for a while that 360 HL2 is 30fps, and not a steady 30fps at that, which is a bit disappointing. Is this true?
                            I played it for about an hour last night and I've noticed no drops in the frame-rate.

Comment

Aah this is bloody brilliant!

Nearly made my eyes bleed playing it for far too long/late last nite after finally getting a moment to play it.

Just great great stuff, like meeting an old (improved) friend again. So much going on and looks wonderful, can't wait to get back to it. I especially love the way they do the Nintendo trick of re-using sfx from the original game here so it's all familiar. Particular note must also go to the dialogue, 'tis excellent, the Vortigons really make me laff.

Anyway, I'm out of the 'hole' as it were and about to get the motor. Start of the third chapter is that?

Eurogamer were so right about how it's edge of the seat stuff, been willing myself through some parts so far (in a 'come on you gotta make it' way). Already feels like such an improvement over eps1 (which I thoroughly njoyed as well).

Havent even touched Portal yet, gonna be a good wkend!

HL really is the daddy (imo)... ;o)

Comment

Working...
                              X