No announcement yet.

Crysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that's really why I'm thinking of going to normal - so I can take more risks.

Comment

I had a copy of this for a while but never got round to playing through it. Just checked it out on Steam but it's still £20. Thought it would be a wee bit cheaper than that by now!

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
        I had a copy of this for a while but never got round to playing through it. Just checked it out on Steam but it's still £20. Thought it would be a wee bit cheaper than that by now!
        I just got mine a few weeks back for £7 delivered from play.com

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

& Warhead for £14.99

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

I just want to echo what everyone has said about this game.

So far I am at

winter stage, having left zero G.

It's just the best "Open world" FPS I've had the pleasure of playing in a very very long time. The bullet dynamics and AI is just sublime, and I love stealthing my way around and doing outrageous silenced sniper shots when cloaked.

The way the game dynamic change when you are forced into a gun fight is also something very special.

I was worried that the

twist would ruin it, and I am delighted to say

it hasn't!

Also on a technical level, I have been playing at
        - Native 2560x1600 on "All settings Very High & shaders on Medium" (25-30fps)
        and
        -1080p on "All very high, with shaders on High" (30-40fps)

Just like this chap here:

and benchmark here:

I have to be honest, I've never seen a better looking video game! To think this was made in 2007! Madness. I have tested the medium/low settings, and in my opinion these DRASTICALLY reduced the game, so I think Very High/High is critical to fully enjoy this one.

In today's world that should be possible at 1080p/30fs for about £500 I think.

If you are a gamer who loves FPS with an open world slant, and you enjoy both stealth and sniping, then I can't recommend this enough. It hasn't aged one bit, as it still makes my console games look like kids drawings in comparison.

Things like pressure waves effecting trees and the draw distance just make for such a more immersive & believable world.

For seven quid this is worth a punt!
        Last edited by capcom_suicide; 19-09-2010, 13:06.

Comment

What difficulty level are you playing?

I took a drop to Normal last night and I have to say I was happy to do so. I was at a big battle part and it was great not to have to do the constant stealth/hide/maximum armour cycle. I could actually hold my own for a bit. Allowed me to play with the maximum speed part of the suit, which is great fun. And yet still the enemies were dangerous enough that, if I wasn't careful, I'd die pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            What difficulty level are you playing?

I took a drop to Normal last night and I have to say I was happy to do so. I was at a big battle part and it was great not to have to do the constant stealth/hide/maximum armour cycle. I could actually hold my own for a bit. Allowed me to play with the maximum speed part of the suit, which is great fun. And yet still the enemies were dangerous enough that, if I wasn't careful, I'd die pretty quickly.

Hey Dogg,

I tried hard for about 2 minutes, and dropped it back to normal!

I might try a super stealth approach on hard on a second playthrough, but Normal is just perfect for me.

Do you know how far I am from the end? I have a feeling I might only have an hour or so left.

Also the

zero G bit

, is less demanding on the GPU, and that section at max settings 2560x1440 is probably the closest a game has come to me thinking it was CGI! Totally unexpected and totally amazing.

I really can't believe this game is from 2007!

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
              I just got mine a few weeks back for ?7 delivered from play.com

FAB! Cheers dude. I will get that now. Not that it matters but does this still install and update through Steam even though you buy it on a disc as I like using that and having everything together.

I'm sure I remember talking about this game on here before but I haven't posted in this thread before, is there another thread somewhere about it?

Comment

CS, no idea how far you are from the end, unfortunately. You're ahead of me! Yep, it is amazing to think it's three years old given how it looks. That's future-proofing. Though, perhaps at the expense of what would have been the present as, even now, it seems pretty demanding.

Comment

@ Roscco: There are two updates, you need to do manually:

You need to installed 1.2 and then the 1.2.1 update. There have been no other updates since 2008

@ Dogg: I agree, the game is tremendously hungry for GPU resources, but barely scratches a modern i7 CPU and 4+GB of memory. (At max settings it eats only 1.2GB of memory) This tells me that it's not really optimized for todays quad core machines, and righly so as it never got updated since march 2008.

I am sure similar effects could be possible in Crysis 2 with less powerful hardware. The rise of PS3/360 has also led in a rise in devs using triple core/ multi core processing. I believe Crysis 2 will run far better than Crysis 1.

But this begs the question... Will the game being scaled down for consoles, mean PC owners don't get to see the full potential of CryEngine?

Comment

I had a bit of physics craziness this evening that was quite bizarre and almost a bit creepy. It was just after the bit where you call in the air strike to destroy the

big ship

I was in the water at the time and swam out. But something rose up out of the water and followed me. Yep, the

entire ship.

It rose bit by bit, unsteady. The enemy had no idea how to react (something seemed up with them because they ignored me completely, like they were searching for me even though I was right in front of them). It rose up and hung in the air above me, just over the

pier close to where it had been destroyed.

It was all a bit crazy. It didn't follow me any further and it stayed there while I got on with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                      Also the

zero G bit

, is less demanding on the GPU, and that section at max settings 2560x1440 is probably the closest a game has come to me thinking it was CGI! Totally unexpected and totally amazing.
                      You weren't wrong about that. I went through that section tonight and it blew me away. Like totally BOOM! That's me being blown away.

We know from so early on that there's likely going to be an alien bit. That's no surprise. So I thought I knew what to expect. When it went zero-g and just gave me the time to take it all in, I was amazed. There was actually a bit when I realised I had been sitting there with my mouth wide open like a goon.

One of the most amazing sequences I have ever seen in a game.

Comment

I'm not reading the spoilers but I'm excited to see what this is! I'm actually looking forward to playing this game now.

I haven't played through a single player game from start to finish in a while and it seems this has alot of good story elements with twists and lots of interesting gameplay with good variety plus the awesome visuals if you're on a decent PC which I love because I'm a graphics whore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                          I'm not reading the spoilers but I'm excited to see what this is! I'm actually looking forward to playing this game now.

I haven't played through a single player game from start to finish in a while and it seems this has alot of good story elements with twists and lots of interesting gameplay with good variety plus the awesome visuals if you're on a decent PC which I love because I'm a graphics whore.

I am a self confessed Gwhore, so it really took me by surprise at how brilliant the game was. Suddenly all the comments Uli has about bullet physics and AI over the years made sense. It's not nit picking or wanting the impossible, it's been done, and done in 2007!

@Dogg. I am glad you thought the same. I too thought I knew what was coming... but.... MAN!

Comment

I'm playing through this also at the moment (maxed and patched with ultra real lighting at 720p) and just... wow... jawdropping stuff. When I am skulking through that forest I just can't get my head around how old this game is. It's definately the spiritual succesor to Far Cry (which I loved).

The textures and interiors let it down a little but man, that lighting and foliage

The game is great too, absolutely loving plotting my own way from setpiece to setpiece, but have been playing a bit too John Rambo so need to use my suit a bit more as I'm getting fairly pwned!

Comment

The game is incredibly looking, even at a few years old. The ice effects though utterly destroyed my (old) PC.

One of the best things with Crysis is the way they looked at the way FC1 accommodated flexible playing styles and decided to push that area even further. It's just a shame they didn't learn from

the mutants from the first game and made the final third of Crysis about fighting Aliens

Comment

capcom_suicide: is it compatible with OS X, or are you playing it via Windows on Bootcamp? CBA installing Windows if at all possible!

Comment

Working...
                                X