No announcement yet.

GTA IV - 360 & Ps3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK will look at black levels now - didn't know that.

Concept, not seen the PS3 version so can't obviously can't compare. And going by this thread, there are only a few people saying the graphics are a bit ropey - which makes me think everyone is blinded by hype TBH

I just want to make it clear, I am impressed in so many ways with this game. Up close, the interaction going on is superb - how crashes jolt car occupants, the particle effects, the fact I don't recall seeing a repeated pedestrian or car in any single scene. This is all good stuff.

My complaints are just balancing out the hype a little. The more I play the story, the less evolved it seems - we're repeating previous games quite a lot now, not just in the missions themselves, but the cutscenes and how they're written and "edited" together. It's not as mature as I first thought. I was expecting a more evolving, interactive storyline, and maybe it'll improve.

The shimmering graphics are there. mainly if you look for them. Keep your eyes firmly on the front (bottom) of the screen, it's fine (just ignore the low res shadows). Start looking around and it can fall apart, but the more I play it, I think that may be more apparent at certain times of day and with certain weather conditions.

There are times up close, where you could mistake this for a blurry VHS film, it can look that realistic with the animation (though the interpolating between animations isn't that good) and all that's going on around you. Now if this looked as sharp as those screenshots that were released, then it would be awesome!

Comment

Anybody playing the UK version on a Jap PS3? Just wondering if there is any form of censoring like Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden?

Thanks.

Comment

OK looks like the blacks are better now. There's a setting on the 360 that doesn't say it's for black levels, but has 3 options - Standard, Intermediate and Expanded. I had mine on Expanded. On standard I can see what's going on a lot better

Comment

Regarding pop-in I only experienced it once on the PS3 in about 5 hours of play. Admittedly it was a gigantic one: An entire wall outside Michelle's apartment did draw *very* late as I swung round a bend. I must have only been about 20 foot away from it when I saw it pop in. Other than that though the only thing I noticed was 1 car disappearing when I accidentally switch the that TV camera view.

None of the above are enough to detract form the game at all though. I'm just saying the above so that no one's under the false impression that the 360 version has pop-in but the PS3 version doesn't. From what I've read, the PS3 version is, technically, superior. Only just though and it'll depend on your gaming values which version multi-console owners should buy. For many they'll want the known 360 downloads and known XBox Live multiplayer but my mate on another board isn't bothered by online play and just wants whatever's technically the best game so I imagine he'll get the PS3 version. I only have a PS3 myself so the choice was easy!

Anyway, the game rocks hard. I got a 5 star wanted level last night to see if I could kill the framerate when all the choppers cars and boats came after me. Nope. A solid 30fps remain in place. Amazing work by Rockstar.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            Anybody playing the UK version on a Jap PS3? Just wondering if there is any form of censoring like Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden?

Thanks.
            ****, had never considered that >_<

I hope it won't be, it won't have been rated in JPN yet so hopefully they'll have nothing to cut from it.

Comment

Pop-in, pop-up or both? I've read both terms here. Pop-in textures? Pop-up buildings in background?

Comment

Pop-up as in detail - foliage, trees, etc, not too bad really, and is partly LOD pop-up with the foliage I think. Pop-in textures, not too much. It's mainly shadow pop-in.

It's not a game breaker, but it's not what I expected. The burring and jaggies are worse than the pop-in.

I can't be the only person who is seeing this fellas! Stay perfectly still it's OK, start moving and things can get ugly. But as I say it depends on the time of day and weather.

Still wish the camera spun round with the vehicle when you corner quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                  OK will look at black levels now - didn't know that.

Concept, not seen the PS3 version so can't obviously can't compare. And going by this thread, there are only a few people saying the graphics are a bit ropey - which makes me think everyone is blinded by hype TBH
                  There are quite a few people who think the graphics are good too. There isn't any need to be patronising TBH

Comment

Does anyone else think Rockstar are going to get a lot of **** for the combat? It's not gratuitous but it definitely feels as though weapons have far more impact than in previous GTAs (the shotgun in particular).

Comment

Was gonna get this on the 360, but reading this maybe I should be looking at the PS3 version?

Comment

I've not played the 360 version yet (will next week) so it's hard to say without having played both versions. Whichever version you go for, the differences aren't going to be gigantic - the shimmering (as Chain says) is still there in the PS3 version. There just doesn't seem to be as much pop-in.

Is anyone else finding the handling on some of the cars difficult? I know the handling model has changed but it's tricky doing 90 degree turns at speed now, even with heavy use of the brake.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
                          Was gonna get this on the 360, but reading this maybe I should be looking at the PS3 version?
                          After reading IGN and some on here, if I wasn't too bothered about Achievements and possibly the online, I'd probably go for PS3 version. However, I'm going 360, baby!

Comment

Would be good to hear on-line impressions before buying it but can't see me waiting past Tuesday - guess its 360...

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                              OK looks like the blacks are better now. There's a setting on the 360 that doesn't say it's for black levels, but has 3 options - Standard, Intermediate and Expanded. I had mine on Expanded. On standard I can see what's going on a lot better
                              Going a bit off topic, but where is this option? I haven't seen it before and my black levels are pretty poor in HDMI.

So would people say this game is harder than previous GTA games? That doesn't bode well for me, I've really struggled on all of them!

Comment

Sorry to keep this slightly off-topic ( I don't have GTA yet but enjoying reading all of your impressions ) but I use VGA and set the black level to Expanded. I've tried HDMI and found that Expanded crushed the blacks too much but Standard was a little washed out so Intermediate was the way to go. Just try all three, fiddle about in the dashboard, watch a video etc and see which you think looks best

Comment

Working...
                                X