Ferrari Challenge (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferrari Challenge (PS3)

First impressions of this were mixed. The in-game visuals aren't going to blow you away, the menu system felt a little clunky and the structure of the game is a little confusing to me. After a short while with the game though, I started to really like it.

I started on Challenge mode where you race against other Ferraris around the globe. You have 3 courses to choose from, Italy, Europe and North America. Each course features 7 weekends (a weekend is 2 races over 2 days) each played on a different track. As you plough through you earn points and work your way up the standings.

The first little frustration popped up here for me. I'm not clued up on Ferrari Challenge rules and I'm sure that the following is to keep it all authentic. Anyway, I still don't understand how it works, but it seems each race has you and the other cars racing around for 15 (real!) minutes (I later saw you can change this to 5 or more in the options), after the time runs out the next lap will see a white flag waved at you indicating the final lap. Anyway, I don't get it, yet. Someone please explain. The same rules apply in Arcade mode, except the race duration is 5 minutes, however Arcade mode features Beginner, Intermediate, Expert and Legend modes each consisting of 4 races with no option to save in between, so that means there's no such thing as a quick blast in Arcade mode

Grumbles aside, the meat of the game, the racing, has been top so far and there are some nice graphical touches in there to remind you that this is a 'next-gen' game. The wet races are really nice.

Couldn't get a game online due to the lack of players out there at the moment. Maybe coz everyone's at work?

There's loads more modes in the game, quirky ones too such as Challenge Deck mode. It's basically Ferrari top trumps against the computer... mad.

Throughout the game you'll unlock Challenge Cards for doing certain things (like achievements) and these can be used to view or play with.
    Last edited by hudson; 03-07-2008, 13:40.

Good, good, good.

Can't wait for mine to arrive - COME ON GAME!

Think the top trumps bit can be played on the PSP or something like that.

Comment

What's the control over the car feel like; In comparison to other racing games? Arcade, Simulation, or a hybrid of the two?

Comment

Feels arcadey to me. You do have to be careful and there's a Forza 2-like helpful racing/braking line which you can switch on and off, but it doesn't feel too harsh on mistakes.

The default driving assists are as follows (you can change them anytime).

Stability Control Strength - 3 (Off, 1, 2, 3, 4, Max)
        Traction Control Strength - 2 (Off, 1, 2, 3, 4, Max)
        ABS Strength - Max (Off, 1, 2, 3, 4, Max)
        Transmission - Auto (Auto/Semi-Auto/Manual)
        Racing Line - On (On/Braking Zones/Off)

Oh, and for the first time in a long time in a driving game I don't mind using the behind-the-car view. It's a lot prettier than the other views.
        Last edited by hudson; 03-07-2008, 14:40.

Comment

Must admit the in-car view does seem to have a very small windscreen (viewable) area in a few of the cars. You tried it with all the driving-aids turned off/down Hoolak ? expecting a lot more sim like experience then.

Comment

Had a quick go with assists off and it is a lot harder. I'll be sticking with some assists, thanks

Yeah, the windscreens do look small. I think because they're at such a steep angle in real life?

I prefer the medium behind the car view at the moment or on the bonnet.

Just unlocked the 348 Challenge and it's arse looks ace Looks dead 80's inside, like knightrider, but without kit.
            Last edited by hudson; 03-07-2008, 15:19. Reason: 348 Challenge, not Testarossa

Comment

Comparable to F355 then in most ways? If so I may spend my precious pounds on it.

Thanks for the impressions aswell!

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                Comparable to F355 then in most ways?
                Only played that game a couple of times on my DC, so I really couldn't tell you.

Comment

Definitely picking this up tomorrow. Are the controls fully customisable and do you have any options for buying new parts for the cars?

Comment

I think you can change things like Ride Height, Springs and Dampers etc, but there doesn't seem to be a parts shop or anything.

I'd like to mention that the framerate is about 30fps and that I've noticed at certain corners on certain tracks you'll get a split second judder, nothing off putting though.

Comment

You said you were little lost/confused with the way the races are setup, still the case or you a bit more at home with them now? I read in a few articles that the way the races are setup is a bit awkward, sounds weird.
                      Last edited by ezee ryder; 03-07-2008, 16:32.

Comment

Depending on what the race duration time is set to, be it 5 or 15 mins, you all race around competitively trying to gain pole position. After the time has ran out, the following lap will be the final lap.

I think

As far as I can tell, the only mode that's traditional complete a set number of laps is Quick Race mode. Not sure how the online works.

Comment

Mine's here!

Bloody well done Game, will be giving it a try later.

Comment

Are there F50's in it? I'm only getting it if there is

Comment

Yes. You start the game with an F430 which you use in Challenge mode to unlock all the content, the 16 tracks and 50 Ferrari cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X