Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories (PS3)

Only had this for a day or so and about 1hr 30 into it but thought I'd post a few early impressions so far. To start with the games beautifully presented, the game starts off with a real time demo navigating the sea bed while a Japanese woman sings along with subtitles at the bottom, although these are in Japanese also, quite a nice song even if I don't understand the words.

From what I've played so far it's very story heavy as it does seem to have a bit of a plot to it, you basically talk to characters in the game, you sometimes get a few options of different things to say to them until you've exhausted all the options then onto the mission. The basic premise of the game so far seems to be searching the sea in your mini submarine for various fish that you don't have in your guide, spot a fish that has the word "NEW" press O on it and it'll be added to the guide and also give you some cash.

To begin with your limited to the amount of the Sea bed you can explore due to the signal from HQ not being able to reach your submarine over long distances, to help you search further you need to find Sonar Buoys floating towards the surface, these have antennas in them and allow you to remain in contact further afield. You can't just use a Sonar Buoy when you find one though, you need to use cash from discovering fish to purchase batteries which in turn can be used to power the Buoys you find.

The first couple of missions I've had so far were pretty much a tutorial and a part where I needed to find 4 rocks on the ocean bed which when found give you the ability to sing to fish. I'm just up to a bit where I need to find a certain fish and sing to it to progress but I haven't done this bit yet, it's still pretty early days at the minute before I can comment on anything else gameplay wise.

Graphically it's quite good so far, some nice effects like of shafts of light coming through the waters surface, particles floating about, nicely modeled fish, caves, coral reefs etc running in 720p. Musics also well done, it's very intermittent, just the occasional ambient kind of sounds whilst your searching the sea, reminds me of whale music with instruments.

Overall it's a relaxed sort of game just like Afrika. It might be a bit too slow paced for some and the heavy Japanese text on pretty much everything but the HUD might put some off but I'm liking what I've played to this point.

Thanks for the impressions, now we start the hoping for an English localisation.

Comment

i've put a few hours into this too.

there does seem to a be a fair bit of mashing X to get through reams of text, but the actual gliding about the water is great. i also like the way you can just let go of the controls and after a minute the hud disappears, making it into basically a screen saver. and as you say, the intro with the music is great.

i've done the bits finding the 4 sounds rocks things, and also a bunch of fish that you have to sing too. not too sure whats next, but just randomly swimming around discovering things, opening up areas and cataloguing fish seems to be working so far. recently found a sunken ship, complete with eerie ghostly sound effects occasionally. very atmospheric.

its quite nice so far

Comment

Originally posted by Fuddle View Post
        the actual gliding about the water is great
        I really like the controls in this too, it's sort of like a racer in a way with the right analogue to accelerate and reverse, bit unsure what left and right are for on the right analogue stick at the minute though, they seem to shift the weight of the sub a bit, maybe there for getting through tight angles or something

Comment

Im now bout 45% through the game been doing the singing fish game for extra trophys each has 20 levels of a coded sequence that's mapped to the L1 L2 R1 R2 buttons.I spend most my time now back tracking a lot to get things i've missed out on the music in this game is great kinda reminded me of early resident evil games brings you into the game as your exploring the depths of the ocean....So far so good

Comment

Originally posted by vercity View Post
            Im now bout 45% through the game been doing the singing fish game for extra trophys each has 20 levels of a coded sequence that's mapped to the L1 L2 R1 R2 buttons.I spend most my time now back tracking a lot to get things i've missed out on the music in this game is great kinda reminded me of early resident evil games brings you into the game as your exploring the depths of the ocean....So far so good
            Seems like theres quite a few to go at with there being 50 trophys, vercity can you put a spoiler tag up with the upgrades that you've got for the sub at the minute, just wondering if you get things like a
            or something later on in the game.

Comment

Well i aint seemed to unlocked much tbh im now at the half way point at 50% i have 20% trophys i think all in there 13 missions and im at bout 6.Just going round finding the singers is hard and memorizing there melodys.Im sat here thinking Fish Man Moon Sun its driving me mad lol anyways back to the game who ever has it just add me to your PSN

Comment

Seem to be a bit stuck at the minute, can see a Sonar Buoy but can't get near it as I'm out of range so looks like I'll need to do a bit more searching to see if I've missed any others. Got my first trophy as well for what I think is discovering a waypoint post or something, clicked on a brown post coming sticking out of the sea bed and got a bronze.

Originally posted by vercity View Post
                .Just going round finding the singers is hard and memorizing there melodys.Im sat here thinking Fish Man Moon Sun its driving me mad lol anyways back to the game who ever has it just add me to your PSN
                I struggle at the minute with memorizing 3 melodys so god knows what I'll be like with 10+, anyway sent you a friend request over.

Comment

Hi guys, I got this through today and have put around four hours into it. Really enjoying it so far. I wanted to ask a question regarding trophies: It looks like trophies are unlocked for nabbing the Singers. However, I have filled up one Meme pod, but have received no trohpy for it. Am I jumping the gun? The only trophy I unlocked was when I found the area with the sunken galleon.

Have also just finished a nice side quest involving a sunken organ. Loving it so far.

Comment

Not sure about the trophy for filling up the meme pod tbh as I don't think I'm that far in yet. Theres a trophy list here

By the looks of that list you need to sing to all of a certain species or a set amount of them to unlock the trophy for that fish, maybe you've missed one.
                    Last edited by Phar; 09-10-2008, 21:24.

Comment

Thanks for that. Good news: I've unlocked:

a camera. Pics are automaticdally saved to your HD

Comment

Should have this finished up by the end weekend so if anybody interested in it I've enjoyed this game more than i thought i would note pad at the ready ive written down most the songs from the singers.Some of them feel like they go on forever!

Comment

Loving every minute of this so far, it's one of those games where you sort of zone out and don't actually realise your playing sometimes, it's just that relaxing.

Strangely although the back story and everything else is in Japanese I haven't got stuck once, just constantly progressing which is nice especially after playing Afrika for a while and needing a guide past a certain point.

Comment

played it a little more today, and only just realised that i could upgrade the sub with the singing fish red ball thingy. so instantly upgraded a bunch of times, and managed to dive deeper than before and access a new area.
                            i seem to be searching for easter island style statues at the moment. real shame i'm not getting any of the story, as those bits where you're forced to cycle through a bunch of text does seem to jar with the lovely exploration bits. i'm sure it wouldn't be so bad if i got any of it though.

been snapping away with the camera too, i'll have to remember to have a look on my hard drive and see what i have.

Comment

Played now 73% and on the last episode think there loads of side missions plus need to go back to collect the fish im still missing still got a fair amount i think i ain't done bad and enjoyed the game alot more than i ever expected as this game is getting all the play at the moment.For anybody that's thinking of getting this it really is a great game and a good title to play through if your got the feeling to explore the depths of the ocean

Comment

Working...
                              X