No announcement yet.

Gears of War 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pretty much agree with Charlie. Bigger != Better. Some parts were great, once you'd past that daft

fish boss

the game seemed to go back to older Gears 1 style set pieces; frantic pulse quickening action.

Graphics were outstanding, though some parts were clearly unfinished (Hoffman's armour looks unfinished, for example).

Loads of things were wrong though. The original COG collection system was great. This time there are about too many items too find, not clearly marked (Gears 1 with the red marker was a great idea), and every time you pick something up, the game PAUSES!! ****. I don't give a **** about that kind of fan fiction meant to "deepen" the story; it's a ****ing video game with poor dialogue, it's not Shakespeare. These things don't add depth to anyone but the shut-ins. If you must include them, to show just how deep your game is, fine. Just don't let them ruin the flow. Have them in Archive to browse mid game, or after the game, when the player CHOOSES. Don't stop my action for some GCSE English fiction!!

Rant over.

For now

Comment

Yeah, I agree about the collecting thing. Poxy Resident Evil has a lot to answer for. The simple tags were better. As for "Bigger != Better", all I'd say to that is... speak English!

Comment

LOL sorry. "!=" means does not equal, in case you weren't being sarcastic

Comment

Heh, I figured it was probably that. Is that programming speak? I only know BASIC. And most of that I've forgotten.

Comment

Yeah that's used for doing a comparison in programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
              Bigger != Better.
              I bet you say that to all the girls.

The only major qualm I have so far is at the end of Act 4 with the

reaver chase. What is the point of having a companion in the game if he doesn't even open fire on the pursuing mega-enemy? Dom did sweet F.A. to help out, I didn't see him fire a single shot.

It just seemed really shoddy and annoying, especially since the allies usually do their fair share of graft.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                I bet you say that to all the girls.
                And evidently you're like the girls you date - Easily Pleased.

Comment

I can vouch without doubt that he's a right moaning bastard who is anything other than easily pleased!

Comment

Bombers 2 v 4 Lions.

Har har har.

Must say I enjoy Day One map of Horde at the mo! There's a great hiding place that's earned many wins so far.

Comment

Your turn to get skanked tomorrow! Had some superb games of horde today

Comment

This game has been well buggy today. Dom doing nothing, then running past me when I'm down and not reviving me, then in co-op after doing one of those annoying bits where they hold their ears during a chat, poor Juans was trapped in that position, walking around unable to fire. Then I was stood next to a bloke trying to chainsaw him, and the decisionmaking element of the programming decided, naw, I actually wanted to chainsaw the box next to me instead. Madness.

Comment

I kind of Agree with Charlie. The dame didn't overwhelm me as GoW1 did in 2006, but I wouldn't call it ugly. It just looks gritty which you may love or hate. I do feel that GoW2 has a brighter colour palette though.

GoW2 is more of the same, and some things changed for the better while others don't. I don't really like the Matchmaking either and I feel that the GoW1 multiplayer was superior, bar the host advantage. But I could be spoilt by the Killzone 2 beta, which feels really fast and exciting imo.

The main problem I have with GoW2 is the gameplay. In Gears 1 there were already big issues with its quite tank like controls, but I looked past it because everything felt so new (to me anyway). But now the gameplay just, as the graphics, underwhelmed me.

What keeps it up there, is the co-op. That has always been a blast in GoW.

Comment

I dont really understand the "moves like a tank" complaints.

Considering all the action takes place while ducking in and out of cover it shouldnt even be an issue if he did move like a tank, but the fact that the controls are so intuative and the whole game seems to be designed with how the characters move in mind means that the complaint just seems silly really.

Comment

I did my first run on GOW1 last night after finishing GOW2 wow what a difference after I compare em. GOW1 I consider my fav ever game but now going back its very quiet compared to 2 not an awful lot of action happens. Must have been rose tinted I guess as that was my gripe with 2 up to act 3. I did a very quick run on GOW1 last night in 6hours and 7mins on hardcore and thats because GOW2 fighting has taught me so much more (and Ive played GOW1 campaign must be 28times now and thats fastest yet). GOW1 doest heat up till end of Act3. Some things Ive noticed comparing them that by default both hardcores 2 seems harder later on but flip side mobs take more hits (the reavers on 1 take miles more hits than 2) to kill on one and you get killed much much easier with bullets (insane just started on 2 and thats pretty similar to insane on GOW1 for health when getting shot) you just cant stick your head out as much on hardcore on 1 as you can on 2.

Going back to 2 from the start today on my first insane run and it just chucks so much at you from the off. Im now glad they got rid of a

RAAM moment

as well as he really is clunky when you compare to 2. AI on both sides is vastly improved as is the audio and of course the graphics. I thought the first 2 acts where comparable to GOW1 on PC for the lost chapters but their not this is much nicer and it looks like they purposly made it drab early on. The gears are also slighlty more responsive now at wall sliding and hugging than 1 but yet again cover is your life also the running is now infinte on 2 compared to 1.

It really does take the stuff of one and increases to the next level when you compare them and I think Im done with 1 for quite some time now which I didnt think I would say. Its just made me appreciate 2 a heck of a lot more from going straight from 1.
                              Last edited by Guest; 16-11-2008, 13:57.

Comment

Just finished the story mode on Normal and plan to go back through with my mate on Hardcore as he is coming back from his holiday and is desperate to play it. Can't wait.

Thought the final boss was a little disappointing but the lead up was amazing. Proper "wow" moments and "holy s*** look at that" moments too.

Watched all the credits and the

"This is Adam Fenix... What have you done...?" had me and the missus positively "WHAAAAAAAAAA...NOOOOOOOOOO..."

Can't wait for part 3. Launch title for the next Xbox 360 or can Epic squeeze any more out the the 360? (Apart from something that makes textures load when they're supposed to )

Comment

Working...
                                X