No announcement yet.

Ghostbusters [PS3, X360, Wii]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the positive side from what ive read the 360 tears quite badly where as the PS3 version dosent tear at all but runs at a lower resolution, on ign on gamespot and other sites they say the differences are not much between the 2 versions.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
      540p is almost Standard defination. That is nasty
      It's lower resolution than progressive scan PAL standard definition: 576p.

Although I think it's a net gain because its 16:9 and so has more horizontal resolution. Doesn't make it any less lazy, though.

Comment

I got the PS3 version from shopto about an hour ago, and it all seems ok to me, no tearing whatsoever, so im happy, i could have gone with the 360 version but the fact it sounds like a 747 taking off when its on puts me off, and i use HDMI for my PS3 , i cant compare them as i havent seen the 360 one running yet but i dont have any major issues so far with the PS3 version.

Comment

mulling over wether to import the 360 version or get the ps3 release or ignore it completely.

anyone else actually played it yet to help convince me?

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
            anyone else actually played it yet to help convince me?
            Apparently not.

20 odd posts and only one of those (the opening one) had any gameplay impressions. This place gets better every day.

Comment

Just got the PS3 version as well today, must of spent a few minutes before I even loaded it up just listening to Ray Parker Jnr on the xmb, if the first level is anything to go by then they seem pretty long, just paused it to type this but i'm still on the first bit at around the 40-45 minute mark, just up to Stay Puft.

Capturing the Ghosts seems to take a bit of work from wearing their health down then slamming them with the L2 button then L1 to put your proton pack into capture mode, square to chuck out your trap, then you need to guide the ghost towards it, reminds me of Get Bass this bit as you have to pull in the oposite direction if the ghost is trying to get away. You also have to watch that your proton pack doesn't overheat by pressing R1 to release the heat.

Also theres an upgrade system where you can buy better equipment with the money earnt like faster traps.

PKE meter works well as sometimes ghosts will hide so you can use that to pinpoint where they are, it also works as a sort of camera for capturing details of ghosts for your Spirit guide which works as a sort of encyclopedia, you can also use it for registering objects that have ectoplasm on them, think either Egon or Ray said the more you find the better equipment you can get.

Graphics to me look nice despite the PS3 version supposedly looking worse, it does look a little fuzzy but not sure if thats because it's being upscaled to 1080p might give 720p a try to see if it looks any better.

The script so far has been pretty good, some funny moments from Peter, enjoying what I've played so far, doesn't seem like it's going to be one of the most amazing games ever but to me it's like a dream come true finally getting to play something that resembles the films after having to put up with the 8-bit games all those years ago.

Only thing I wish they added was the ability to design your character as you play the part of a new recuit, shame you have to stick with the one the developers chose.
              Last edited by Phar; 17-06-2009, 18:27.

Comment

Last edited by huxley; 18-06-2009, 00:15.

Comment

Yeah the textures aren't fantastic, it does remind me a bit of GTA4 in that respect.

Comment

Nice impressions Pharfetchd.

You has a chance to try out any of the multiplayer yet?

Comment

just to echo what has been said here already, the game is pretty fun. The story is fairly well written but tbh it's a little by the numbers class 5 roaming vapour here, spectral shift there. Not the 3rd ghostbusters film by a long shot.
                      graphics are good (360) haven't played ps3 so wont comment on it, looks good though the framerate is iffy in parts.
                      Multiplayer is great fun, even with randoms who actually work together as a team. Different locations but the same scenarios (capture the most ghosts protect the artifacts charge up the PKE emitters) with friends it will be even better.
                      Solid enough an 8 sounds about right for this,and huxley it does get better after an admittedly slow start.

Comment

360 vs. PS3, for anybody interested:

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
                          Nice impressions Pharfetchd.

You has a chance to try out any of the multiplayer yet?
                          Cheers, no I haven't had a chance to play multiplayer yet, did try a quick match earlier and it failed to join a game, I'll probably have another go tomorrow.

I agree with Destrukticor, it does have a bit of a slow start, it picks up once you get to Stay Puft though, I'm on the second mission now which is really good, theres also been a few physics puzzles as well on this one, like blasting objects that are blocking doors and one where you have to use your proton pack to

remove some iron girders, you have to lock onto them and lift them out to gain access to a door

Comment

Just had my first go on this, so some impressions!

I found the capturing a little...odd. It doesn't feel like a natural thing to be pressing so many buttons when in essence what you are doing is just "shooting". The best thing so far about it is the script, not actually laughed at a game in a loooong time, but this is very charming and well acted.

I can't put my finger on it, but something just feels wrong about it though, I started with a massive smile on my face but then I felt a bit...ambivolent. The wrangling is just...it's not how I wanted it to feel, the ghosts move like crazy (obviously) but you've got 3 other proton beams to contend with and as there is no lock on (until you weaken the ghosts sufficiently) it's really hard to keep track of if you are firing at the ghost or not...a few times I've found myself still "shooting" at the ghost, who had long since moved!

For me, the wrangling just isn't simple enough, they could remove the "slam" mechanic and the "vent" mechanic and the game would be a LOT more fun.

The other thing I'd say is that it holds your hand like crazy, but then suddenly you are on your own and you never quite know if you are going the right way.

To me, early impressions are that this is a game that has been rushed out the door and despite the nostaligic touches and excellent cast/voice acting, it needed more time.

I would advise buying with caution...at least, upon initial impressions.
                            Last edited by Jebus; 18-06-2009, 20:06.

Comment

I'd say similar things to Jebus really having just played an hour or so on the 360 version. Although I think a lot of your complaints about the wrangling, Jebus, are down to having to upgrade your pack etc... in order to get better accuracy, stronger slamming etc...

Re knowing if you're going the right way... you have to use your PKE meter to kind of work out which direction to go in.

One of the problems I have had though is how on earth are you supposed to defend yourself? Something comes flying at you, and BAM! No, not the bottom of a shoe, but a table has hit you, and you're dazed for a while. Not a lot you can do about it either it seems?

Saying all that, I'm loving it though, to be honest

The thing seems to throw achievements at you like some kind of gamerscore poltergeist too.

Comment

I found the controls for capturing ghosts a bit overwhelming at first but a couple of hours in and it becomes second nature, just up to the final part now, decided to save it there and finish it off tomorrow.

Overall impressions so far are that yes it's got a few minor niggles but for me it's set out what it meant to do, provide a decent Ghostbusters experience, and I've had about 8hrs of entertainment out of it so far, so I really can't be arsed to bitch about the few negatives, overall it's a solid game.

I'm definitely going to be replaying it to hoover up all the artifacts and ghosts I've missed for the spirit guide, then I'll probably get stuck into the multiplayer.

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                                One of the problems I have had though is how on earth are you supposed to defend yourself? Something comes flying at you, and BAM! No, not the bottom of a shoe, but a table has hit you, and you're dazed for a while. Not a lot you can do about it either it seems?
                                On the PS3 version circle does a sort of side step so you can dodge things
                                Last edited by Phar; 18-06-2009, 22:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X