Ghostbusters [PS3, X360, Wii]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghostbusters [PS3, X360, Wii]

Well, I've borrowed the 360 version from a friend (thank you multi-region goodness!) and I've only managed so far to play the first 'scenario'.

Now I know that along the way the game has been compared to the like of Gears etc in play mechanics but it's not really anything like it. Pretty much from the ground up it's pure Luigi's Mansion which I imagine, depending on your view of that game, will vary from person to person to what they feel for this.

Essentially the game is linear corridor based as you work your way through each local capturing the local ghosts. The game works similar to LM in that you have to concentrate your aim on the ghost until its health is down and then position it over a trap long enough for it to be captured. The mechanic feels very authentic to the films depiction though I'd say the execution in gameplay terms isn't up to LM's standard. It's also easy to get hit (though health is generous) as there is no real dodge or cover mechanic to the game. The controls also seem to have a real sense of lag between input and movement though I haven't checked to see if there's a sensitivity option.

Visually it's pretty good and the previews/reviews have been right in that it captures the feel of the films perfectly leaving eager for next years Ghostbusters 3. Going off the go I've had of the singleplayer I'm getting the vibe the multiplayer will be worth skipping.

Though this seems quite negative I do really like the game. I think, if you love the franchise and can put Luigi's Mansion out of your head the experience probably does warrant the 8/10 score its been recieving. If you're not fussed by Ghostbusters (which is largely were younger gamers come in) I'd guess you could likely knock a few points off from the score.

Great for fans though

Originally posted by Jebus
    What does "wick" mean?
    ****e

People are saying the 360 version of this is visually better, like PS3 540p - 360 720p or something.
    Last edited by Pilotwings; 16-06-2009, 17:12.

Comment

Yeah, there are some pretty damning comparisons out there. It runs at 960x540 on the PS3 compared to 1280x720 on the 360, and the 360 version runs better with more effects and better textures. This is the one that's doing the rounds, and just look at the texture differences

I've ordered a US copy of the 360 version. I wasn't going to but I just watched the film the other night so I'm in the mood

Comment

Bloody hell. I was going to get this by exchanging prototype this week for the ps3 version. Going to have to wait and get the 360 version when money allows it now.

Comment

360 - 1280 x 720 2 x AA
          PS3 - 960 x 540 QAA
          Its 2009 this is so lazy

Comment

I'm still going to buy this on PS3 as I have store credit to spend. If it turns out to be arse then I can return it and wait for something different.

Comment

There's some tearing too. Though it has Bill Murray as compensation :

Comment

It could be stick figures at 100x100 and as long as the script is good I still would have bought it

Comment

About twenty minutes of footage here with talking over the top, gives some nice early impressions - http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...o-game/17-675/

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                    Bloody hell. I was going to get this by exchanging prototype this week for the ps3 version. Going to have to wait and get the 360 version when money allows it now.
                    Seriously?

Obviously it is totally down to you but just because the PS3 version has a few effects missing and is in a slightly lower resolution doesn't mean the game is unplayable.

I mean even I am slightly disappointed that it isn't in 720p with the "full effects" like the 360 version but that hasn't made my purchase of the PS3 version totally void.

Anyway looking forward to this and some top notch fun Ghostbusting action. It's nice to see the OP comparing the ghost catching to the mechanics of Luigi's Mansion as I thought those were really good/fun.
                    Last edited by ezee ryder; 16-06-2009, 21:09.

Comment

Same here, I was going Wii but my Wii is updated so its Pal only.
                      Ps3 for me

Comment

540p is almost Standard defination. That is nasty

Comment

Wasn't Halo 3 (a flagship title) around 640p?!

Most people forgot about that after a while though cos the game itself was fun. I'm sure if Ghosbusters is fun then the majority won't really care either.
                          Last edited by ezee ryder; 16-06-2009, 21:23.

Comment

It was and is a jaggy mess because of it.

Comment

quite a lot are bad like that
                              list here http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Comment

Working...
                              X