No announcement yet.

Ghostbusters [PS3, X360, Wii]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did it all yesterday in one day as. Started out really enjoying it but by end it was I MUST finish this so I see the ending and can flog it as quickly as possible.

For me...

The good - Story and really good voice acting (very funny laugh out loud in places)

The bad - Erm everything else. Very average graphics (looks pre COD2 graphics so before next gen really) can tell it was in development hell and shoved on a shelf when it waited for a publisher to reapear. Gameplay at first yep fun to launch and trap but I found it more boring wearing em down with its aiming as it amounted to do that and press dodge over and over zero skill. I loved it when their tagged and its fishing to the trap but up to that point it felt like a boring shooter for me and alot of the weapons just didnt enjoy apart from the teather.

Levels I thought got very samey (didnt like some of em being reused either) and after Stay Puff bosses rubbish. Was very very easy game until right near the end for some reason (on standard). Their was abit what I got stuck on for 50mins cas the creatures come at you and Ray stands their not rehealing fast enough then dies. It annoyed me even more that the checkpoint system meant I had the same speech before it for 3mins so I must have heard it 30 times. Its also a slow loader when you die at around 30-40 seconds (PS3)

Its very short as well apart from being stuck on that bit it still only took me about 6hours and half hours (their about 50mins tops per the 7 levels) so if I hadnt got stuck been closer to just under 6 as apart from being stuck the rest of it you can zip right thru with no issues.

Id say yep its a good rental but for purchase you will either like it or grow to get tired of it really quickly. Its a bit of a one trick pony with the gameplay unfortunetly for me and I traded it today straight swapover for DW6 Empires (as never played em and got nagged to try one).

6/10 for me

Comment

The bit with the stone angels is definately a "what the hell were they thinking?!?!" difficulty spike

Comment

I've just finished this earlier this evening on the hardest setting "Pro". I really enjoyed the game and it was really fun without being too clever. Sure it has some problems: Some of the textures are poor yet others look excellent, some of the FMV's are a bit naff and the framerate get's seriously bogged down at times. Also the AI can be quite stupid at times, however generally it's pretty decent the majority of the time. Oh and the "dodge" move is pretty poor and could have been implemented a bit better.

What I will say is there are a lot of positives to take from this game, the graphics are generally pretty decent and they have nailed the feel of the GB movies. The trapping of the ghosts works really well and there's a variety of beams etc you can use. The bosses were also pretty good although the last section of the game and the final boss were tough on Pro difficulty. There are also some funny moments during the game as well.

I had a quick go on Live and it seemed pretty much the same as the SP mode but with a few different modes chucked in, seemed lag free with I played with a mate. I would certainly recommend the game despite it's sometimes "inconsistent" feel at times. A definate purchase for GB fans!

Comment

Finished this tonight and enjoyed it very very much, definitely high up their in the list of movie franchise games which turned out very good (well ok the list isn't that big )

You could tell it was a labour of love for Terminal Reality, really shone through whilst playing it, just all the little touches and things for fans. Great stuff.

I loved the voice acting and the constant chat and banter whilst you were running around doing your bustin of ghosts. I especially loved a few lines such as when you are trying to figure out what to do and are with Egon he says

If I wanted a procastinator I would have invited Venkman

It wasn't laugh out loud funny all the time but it was always humorous and it kept giving me a lovely warm feeling of nostalgia and making me smile. Things such as having Janine nattering on the phone when you are running around the place and the Vigo painting are brilliant

One part that cracked me up was:

When you

first hear a scream and one of the team goes 'there's a woman in trouble!' you run through a door and see a guy standing there and someone asks him 'did you see a woman?' , a ghost then attacks you and he screams and someone says 'Ah that explains it' You then follow this guy around for a bit and he screams every now and then until he eventually gets so scared he faints, it's one of the funniest parts of the game for me

As for difficulty, played it on Experienced and only had one difficulty spike which was the

s'mores in the office near the start

For some reason that took me ages when nothing else in the game was that hard at all, from then on it was relatively easy.

I'll probably never play it again and will sell it on after my friend has played it but I did have a good time with it whilst it lasted.

Comment

I wish I liked this more than I did. Felt like it had been rushed out before it was ready. The way you could interact with the Vigo painting was a nice touch, but the arcade games in the firehouse you could interact with but couldn't play, the water coolers you could drink from, seriously, what was the point?

The core gameplay was good fun, if a little repetitive, just a shame the rest of the game was so rough around the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by PrayforMojo View Post
              the water coolers you could drink from, seriously, what was the point?
              There's an achievement for drinking from them all on the 360 version.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                There's an achievement for drinking from them all on the 360 version.
                Jesus. You get an achievement/trophy for that, but not for listening to the Ghostbusters theme for the millionth time. Not fair.

Comment

I'm about a third of the way through this.

I'm a big Ghostbusters fan (the film is easily in my top 20 of all time), but this game is a bit poor.

People are giving it a fair chance here, and so did Games TM and Edge. It scored the same as Wolverine: Origins roughly, but Wolverine is by far the better game. That makes no sense.

Just had a marathon go on GoW2 last night, and now I'm reluctant to go back to Ghostbusters.

Comment

Hey all, just got this on 360. I notice the voices keep going out of sync. Is this normal or could it be because I installed it to the hard drive? My dvd drive gives lots of DREs so I install games before playing. I have a replacement but haven't been bothered to do it, but I will today if I get confirmation from you lot playing it off disc that it's ok...

Cheers in advance

Comment

Have to say I never noticed any sync issues when I was playing on my 360

Comment

If you mean on the cutscenes then I had that too. They weren't massively out of sync but it wasn't the best and there were `wee wah woo wah` moments.

Comment

Ok so I can keep playing it off the hard drive then? Bugger, I was hoping for a new excuse to finally crack the damn 360 open (the first excuse was Crackdown which is uninstallable but even that wasn't enough).

Comment

Started playing this last night. Seems decent enough (Although the model they use for your own character in the cutscenes is odd, hard to say why. They should have given some character creation options for him) - some of the lines are hit and miss both in terms of delivery and content.

I really like the weakening/holding/trapping mechanic though, and the PKE meter is quite nicely implemented (Although I can see me walking around with it up almost all of the time, same as I did in Batman).

I have a quick question, did anyone play with the aim assist off? I switched it off (As I always do on shooters if the option is there), but because the ghosts shift so fast and so erratically (It's not like they have the usual laws of physics to adhere to) it's really hard to track them with the photon stream. Am going to see what it's like with that switched on tonight, but just curious if anyone else has experience of playing with the settings each way.

My only real complaint at the moment is the HUD. The pack heat gauge, and particularly the life bar, really aren't visible enough. I'd like the option to display those on screen to be honest, it's not as if the game is HUD free anyway. :/

Comment

Played this some more last night, I'm really not sure what to make of it. One the one hand it's great listening to the original voice cast delivering some decent lines (Although the delivery is hit and miss, particularly with Bill Murray), but on the other hand I'm not really enjoying the game that much.

Does anyone know if the characters have a bleed out time? Because if they don't I think I'll just leave them rolling about on the floor.

Really want to see it through to the end at least if I can.

Comment

Finished this last night. I definitely enjoyed the game more as it progressed, but the game itself has some glaring issues that really undermine the better elements of the game.

The main issue is that one I hinted at in the last post - the revive mechanic ****ing sucks for non player characters. It's different if you're playing co-op and you know the person you're playing with isn't an idiot, but the AI in this game sucks and you spend too much time worrying about your team mates. I hated going down and watching in agony as each of the other characters portrait changed from blue to red, followed by the mission failed message and then an INSANELY long reload time. >_<

It's worth seeing the story through to completion though. The script and story are pretty decent after what seems like a directionless start - the only oddity being how the Ghostbusters were able to accept

Peck being an evil occultist

without much fuss.

Don't think the game would have survived without the licence though and the involvement of the original cast.

Comment

Working...
                                X