God of War Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God of War Collection

This turned up today from Movietyme and after playing it for a couple of hours I'm quite disappointed.

On the one hand the two games are obviously very good and hold up extremely well, but the visuals are pretty underwhelming. There's plenty of bold claims from the developers over how it's superior to the original versions (I no longer have them so cant' check) but so far it all looks pretty average. Maybe i've just been spoilt by the current generation but it's incredibly drab looking.

Still ?30 for two excellent games, and two sets of trophies isn't to be sniffed at I certainly wouldn't turn down the option of an Ico and Shadow of Collosus set. I was just hoping it would look a lot better than it does.

Were you expecting touched up versions? They've always said they're simply HD, run at a contant 60fps, with a bit of AA.

I think the game is ideal for those who have not played the series yet, but have been intregued by what they've seen of GoW3. Fans too and those like me who never got to finish the original, but have been meaning to and will now be rewarded with trophies!

Comment

I wasn't expecting brand new graphics, I just thought they'd look a lot better. To be fair though part 2 does actually look much better than the first one.

Comment

I think number 2 is a pretty underwhelming experience when compared to the God-like original game. This is a miss for me...Wouldn't want to play the 2nd game again.

Comment

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but everything I've seen suggests a pretty substantial boost over the originals. :/

Comment

They are PS2 games you know!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
              I think number 2 is a pretty underwhelming experience when compared to the God-like original game. This is a miss for me...Wouldn't want to play the 2nd game again.
              1 was certainly the better game, but the setpieces and scale of 2 were vastly improved in all respects. Sure, they're not quite as fun to play, but, I mean, Christ, the size of the friggin' things.

Comment

Maybe some people were expecting more. I more or less expected to have sharper, 60fps versions of the game. Not the blurry ps2 versions.

Comment

Still waiting on my copy but it seems like people were expecting remakes and not remasters? These are the original games with HD textures aren't they? They've not been remade from the ground up!

Can't wait to get mine still!

Comment

fantastic collection, the games ultimately looks 'cleaner' then their counterparts, which to my eyes looked better then I remembered and still play fantastically well, im not entirely sure how anyone can be underwhelmed by this collection really...

Comment

I seem to remember playing no2 when it came out, and thinking to myself, so much for next gen, good old ps2

Good to see these have been given some re-release love.

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                        im not entirely sure how anyone can be underwhelmed by this collection really...
                        Because it looks really dull and ugly. I should have guessed by looking at the comparisons that have been floating around really. The games are still great and I'd certainly give it a high score if I was reviewing it. But aside from the convenience of having both games on one disc and the trophies there's no reason for owning this if you already have the originals.

Comment

so I hear the cutscenes are fudged? I never played the originals but were there cg cutscenes and ones rendered using the game engine? if the game engine ones are kept in as they are it would really detract from the game.

I played gears of war on the pc not long ago and running at 1680x1050 it looks quite nice. then i got to that cutscene with the evil general or whatever that picks up a guy and stabs him. they kept the exact same video from the 360 and not only did what was shown in the video look worse, but it was at some shockingly low resolution so it ended up a blurry ugly mess, really jarring.

Comment

So aside from the convenience, the trophies, the God of War 3 demo and the fact they are two absolutely stunning games that are worth revisiting, there's no reason to own it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                              So aside from the convenience, the trophies, the God of War 3 demo and the fact they are two absolutely stunning games that are worth revisiting, there's no reason to own it?

Not if you already own the orignials. No. I think Giant Bomb's review is the most sensible i've seen so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X