P.N. 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IGN hands on" I thank you"

March 27, 2003 - This Thursday marked not just the massive multiplatform launch of Namco's Soul Calibur. It also brought the release of the first title in Capcom's Big-5 set of GameCube games, P.N.03 (along with a new Super Robot Wars game, but that only concerns tiny percentage of readers over at IGNPS2).
    We actually provided some impressions of P.N.03 a few weeks back via a quick playtest outside a Tokyo retailer. Now, having sat down with the game and worked our way through four levels, we're actually a bit confused.

On the one hand, P.N.03 is a very new experience. We guarantee that you've never played anything like it. It's part blastathon, part stealth, and we've even noticed some elements of that long lost genre of gaming, the shooter. Yeah, we know -- the game looks nothing like a shooter. But take the pattern-based attacks of the enemies and gameplay that has you dodge bullets and occasionally line yourself up in such a manner as to avoid large streams of fire, and we think you'll see the similarities.

Outside of new experiences, there seems to be plenty of gaming to be had in P.N.03. Shooting baddies with style earns you points that can be traded up for items, ranging from continues to new suits. You can also use points to upgrade suits that you already own, increasing their defensive and offensive ratings. In the first four stages (totaling about 30 minutes of playtime), we've opened up three different suits, each a different color and featuring a different super attack for the main character, Vanessa.

Regardless of what suit she's wearing, Vanessa is very cool. She begins the game by teleporting onto what seems to be an abandoned planet, and almost immediately, she begins tapping her feet to the music. Those two drones packed with ammo approaching from the distance? No concern to Vanessa. She just stands there and lets the blasts fly by, then leaps into the air and unleashes a special move, taking them out instantly.

Sadly, we can confirm that there's not the tiniest bit of voice in the game. Vanessa doesn't make a squeak as she blasts through the levels, and mission briefings involving Vanessa in conversation with an unidentified operative, are strictly text-based. We were hoping to hear what this new mark for female character coolness sounded like.

While we can live with all these minor presentation issues, what's really annoying us about P.N.03 is the control. We mentioned in our last update that the control is a little on the weird side, feeling somewhat like a first person shooter, or perhaps Tomb Raider (where you press left or right to rotate your character). This ends up forcing you to keep your character in a forward-facing direction where the action, in theory, lies. That's all fine and dandy, as the game seems to be designed with the control scheme in mind. The problem is that the controls are very unforgiving and often too sensitive. Tap the control stick to the right just a bit on accident, and you'll find the main character turning around way too much, leaving you confused.

Four stages into the game, and we're getting a bit more used to the controls, although we gave up playing on normal mode long ago. While we're embarrassed to admit it, our first time through P.N.03 is going to have to be on easy mode. Don't laugh, as you'll probably end up doing the same!

So the answer to the burning question -- do we like P.N.03 -- is: maybe. We may or may not like it, but we're not sure at this point. A couple of things are clear, though. Capcom has made a very unique title, and now a good way's in, we're anxious to play more. We'll be back with an update down the road once we've determined a bit more if we love or hate P.N.03

Comment

Originally posted by IGN
      So the answer to the burning question -- do we like P.N.03 -- is: maybe. We may or may not like it, but we're not sure at this point. A couple of things are clear, though. Capcom has made a very unique title, and now a good way's in, we're anxious to play more. We'll be back with an update down the road once we've determined a bit more if we love or hate P.N.03

The closing bit of that paragraph is the reason I will never, ever subscribe to IGN

Comment

Sounds excellent from what they say, even if they don't like it so much. To be honest the lead character not talking fits in with the style of the game - sparce.

Comment

She doesn't have to say anything. All she needs to do is shake that ass and shot lasers, dammit.

Comment

I can't believe people actually pay to read those kind of 'impressions'. SHe mentions that Vanessa is cool, because she taps her foot to the music, and then fails to tell us anything about the music at all!
            That closing paragraph is a cop-out too.
            I can imagine myself getting into this game if the music is good, the idea of a shooting game with style and rythem bonuses is really cool.

Hope my copy turns up soon

Comment

The more I hear about thi game the more I'm loving it!

Timing everything to the music! That's HEAVY! - the impressions you read are so stupid - like people going on about playing Soul Calibur 2 on an analogue stick - clueless...

Nobody has gone into any depth about the game system either!

Comment

Got it. Feels very old school, but Vanessa is incredibly cumbersome to control. Solid music too.

Current verdict:

Meh/10

Comment

Originally posted by hugejeans
                  Is that what they mean by sitting on the fence?

Comment

Been playing this for a while so here are some details.

The manual is wafer thin, there's no plot.

Whilst firing Vanessa is firmly rooted to the spot which lends a rather cumbersome feeling to her actions, not the graceful movement I was expecting. She can twist left and right to avoid oncoming attacks.

This results in most battles, particularly indoors, being a case of hide round the corner then pop out for a shot when there's a chance. This coupled with the limited left and right movement lends a feeling of Space Invaders to the proceedings.

As far as I can tell there is no firing in synch to the music as has been rumored.

Special moves are performed by doing a short D-pad combo ala Street Fighter.

The game appears more of a memory test to the various enemy patterns like an old school shooter. There's really nothing new here, but it's quite diverting none the less.

Graphics are sparse and nothing special. Textures are rather dull and there's a certain amount of aliasing.

The overall lack of production values and depth makes the game feel more like a Shinji Mikami hobby project that he made in his tea break in between proper jobs. It most certainly is not the next big thing from the Capcom stable.

It's a single screen shooter in 3D with a wiggling bum, if that's enough for you then give it a go.

Comment

Poop. ft:

Comment

Hmm, I think I'll add some positive comments about PNO3.

The combo system and methodical progress lend themselves to potential replay value that vacuous, yet pretty, shooters like Gungrave don't possess.

Walking into a room and destroying everything with a lovely special move is rather satisfying.

It has more charm than DMC2. Vanessa, in her own robotic way, is a great character with a lot of potential.

So then, IMO, more replay value than Gungrave and more charm than DMC2. Damning with faint praise? Maybe, but it certainly kills a few hours after finishing ZOE:2.

For those looking for a more fleshed out girly game try Cool Girl. I played a demo at the TGS last year and it had a lot of potential. It was using the MGS2 engine and had some great moves. It'll probably be doo-doo, but you never know.

Here's a link: http://www.konamijpn.com/products/cygirls/index.html

Comment

yeah, i got my eye on cool girl. But then i love anything from Kojima.

Comment

Gamespot:

"P.N. 03's most damning flaw is that you can fire only while standing still--if you're jumping, running, or dodging, you can forget about attacking. You're meant to twirl or roll out of the way of oncoming enemy shots and then return fire, but the transition from firing to moving and back is too awkward and lengthy, and you end up taking a lot of unnecessary hits."

Comment

Seems like a game which divides opinions - a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by womblingfree
                                Oh god that looks awful, but I think the toys are worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X