Heavy Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Rain

For those who don`t know you play 4 characters Ethan, Shelby, Norman, and Madison that have intertwining stories about the Origami killer. This game is very story led with lots of QTE`s (quick Time Events). Apparently these 4 people can die I am yet to experience this. I got no Origami paper in my Japanese version, so waiting for the install was a bit lame . Plus the Japanese box imo is the worst box ever! Why half a mans face and not the origami paper is on the box I do not know?!?!

Anyways o.k so Edge gave this a 7 in their review (Not read) and in the preview I read in the Feb issue they said some things are good, some bad e.g having to drink orange as carefully as grabbing a frying pan to kill someone or some such thing. I sort of agree with this as sometimes things in this feel very mundane and for me annoying. I have played about 4 hours on the Japanese version and occasionally I`m like wow, other times I`m like this is so boring.

I am guessing everyone has played the demo and those scenes felt a little different with me not seeing the train go past on the detective scene for example. Replaying these slow scenes from the demo was not too bad and trying to change what happened was interesting.

The game itself starts out very very very slowly and Ethan Mars is a right moopy sod, things like getting plates out of a cupboard seem very strange like they belong in a movie like American beauty or Revolutionary road or something. The characters animations are brilliant and the load times for this are not too bad besides, when switching scenes. Norman`s detective story seems very interesting and you can do some nice fancy things with his gloves. I can`t say too much as I don`t want to spoil the story or people having fun with bouncing baseballs etc. and Shelby and Madison's stories seem to have a lot of action thus far.

I probably need to finish this before giving a verdict I guess but my intial feelings, while this game is trying to do something different and interesting small things niggle. E.g I make a choice and the character still seems to do the same thing I did not want him/her to do. As well as not running and walking everywhere. Some of the analogue stick movements in action segments, I am finding very hard to pull off too. I realise there is a story here but it feels a bit restrictive sometimes with how I can actually change it. The story does suck you in, although takes a while to get going. It feels a lot like Shenmue to me in some respects but unlike Shenmue, Heavy Rain at least in the beginning had me questioning to myself is this fun? Which is not good. There are many qualities with this game though, although I have highlighted some negatives the action parts are fun and intense, and I imagine the choice system will open up more later. It`s hard to fully judge it at the moment...
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Brief update after the first 3 hours or so it gets much much better the game in general is starting to pick up pace quite a bit and introduce very good instances to use QTE besides changing a babies nappy (dyper if yr American)

Comment

Picked this up Saturday after it arrived in our delivery and so far it has been pretty fantastic.

It looks amazing and some of the facial animations and lighting are truly incredible!

The use of the controller to mimmick so many actions is very clever and the way you move around the environment is great.

I've only played as 3 of the 4 characters so far so the story hasn't truly kicked off yet but the game has, so far, given me some truly memorable moments including a couple of quite scary ones.

Back when the game was originally announced I wasn't mad keen on it but my opinion changed when I saw it running properly last September. I am so glad that my mind was changed by the demo I saw as I am amazed by what I have played so far. This game truly is like no other I have ever played and I can't wait to delve deeper into the story.

Comment

Shoud be getting this tomorrow so will be able to chime in on this when I've had a razz for a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by JU!
          For those who don`t know you play 4 characters Ethan, Shelby, Norman, and Madison that have intertwining stories about the Origami killer. This game is very story led with lots of QTE`s (quick Time Events). Apparently these 4 people can die I am yet to experience this. I got no Origami paper in my Japanese version, so waiting for the install was a bit lame . Plus the Japanese box imo is the worst box ever! Why half a mans face and not the origami paper is on the box I do not know?!?!

Anyways o.k so Edge gave this a 7 in their review (Not read) and in the preview I read in the Feb issue they said some things are good, some bad e.g having to drink orange as carefully as grabbing a frying pan to kill someone or some such thing. I sort of agree with this as sometimes things in this feel very mundane and for me annoying. I have played about 4 hours on the Japanese version and occasionally I`m like wow, other times I`m like this is so boring.

I am guessing everyone has played the demo and those scenes felt a little different with me not seeing the train go past on the detective scene for example. Replaying these slow scenes from the demo was not too bad and trying to change what happened was interesting.

The game itself starts out very very very slowly and Ethan Mars is a right moopy sod, things like getting plates out of a cupboard seem very strange like they belong in a movie like American beauty or Revolutionary road or something. The characters animations are brilliant and the load times for this are not too bad besides, when switching scenes. Norman`s detective story seems very interesting and you can do some nice fancy things with his gloves. I can`t say too much as I don`t want to spoil the story or people having fun with bouncing baseballs etc. and Shelby and Madison's stories seem to have a lot of action thus far.

I probably need to finish this before giving a verdict I guess but my intial feelings, while this game is trying to do something different and interesting small things niggle. E.g I make a choice and the character still seems to do the same thing I did not want him/her to do. As well as not running and walking everywhere. Some of the analogue stick movements in action segments, I am finding very hard to pull off too. I realise there is a story here but it feels a bit restrictive sometimes with how I can actually change it. The story does suck you in, although takes a while to get going. It feels a lot like Shenmue to me in some respects but unlike Shenmue, Heavy Rain at least in the beginning had me questioning to myself is this fun? Which is not good. There are many qualities with this game though, although I have highlighted some negatives the action parts are fun and intense, and I imagine the choice system will open up more later. It`s hard to fully judge it at the moment...
          Yeah, yeah. But does it have English options for text and audio? Otherwise I'm not even gonna unseal this one. The box art is truly shocking though.

Oh and don't bother PMing me anybody as I've already got a buyer for it.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'm playing the UK version on my JPN 60G PS3 and I can only choose English audio and subs.

Comment

Not really helping me that bud, thanx though.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Cor, things are kicking off now!

Had a couple of scenes which were quite action packed and you've really got to be on the ball with your button presses to hit the QTEs.

Played as all 4 characters now

seen boobies!!

and the change in pace between each of them is very nicely handled.

I also really like the way the Trophies are all hidden. It means that you've got no idea what you need to do to earn them and therefore enjoy playing the scenes rather than going through motions to earn the pointless little trinkets.

This is awesome, envelope pushing stuff!

Comment

is the game all QTE's?

Comment

Nope.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Was really looking forward to playing this until I was reading another site and some twat decided to post in the comments who the Killer was.

For those that have completed it, would it still be worth playing through despite knowing this from the beginning as I'm not sure if I can be bothered now.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                        Yeah, yeah. But does it have English options for text and audio? Otherwise I'm not even gonna unseal this one. The box art is truly shocking though.

Oh and don't bother PMing me anybody as I've already got a buyer for it.
                        Yes English and Japanese for voice and subs mate. I heard some nudity is censored in the Japanese version. Not that this should be a main point for buying the game but. Some people like things uncut.

Comment

Have just finished this

and got what I would consider a good ending.

Going to start again and see what I can do differently to try and get the whole experience.

I would say it is worth playing even if you have the misfortune to know who the killer is as the experience is still great.

It's just sad that you'll miss a real "OMG" moment when you click.

Overall, excellent and well worth picking up.

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
                            Yes English and Japanese for voice and subs mate. I heard some nudity is censored in the Japanese version. Not that this should be a main point for buying the game but. Some people like things uncut.
                            Thanks much bud. I'm not bothered about censoring anymore. We had the hand in Biohazard after all...
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Can anyone tell me: is there one version for Europe? I need to pick up the French version, and am hoping there's the option for English subs/dubs. If not I'm going to have to import it via eBay.

Comment

Working...
                              X