No announcement yet.

Perfect Dark (XBL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought some microsoft points online specifically for this. Won't be able to download until later tonight but I can't wait. I clocked up 12 days in the n64 multiplayer, but only ever got half way on 00 agent (or PD equivalent) so thats my goal.

Comment

It's great but after only about 15 minutes I had the most horrible motion sickness, had to stop playing and lie down

Comment

Originally posted by neil2k View Post
        It's great but after only about 15 minutes I had the most horrible motion sickness, had to stop playing and lie down
        I lasted less than 5 minutes and I wasn't feeling too good. There is excessive blurring of dark colours and it leave quite long streaks across the screen... not good.

Wish I downloaded the trial first before jumping straight in and purchasing this

Comment

Its weird really, while there is stuff that just isn't as well implemented or polished as modern games there is so much that is essentially more polished or better implemented than modern games.

For example some of the maps are really bland and not very well thought out. However things like the MP challenges are a for-runner to special ops in MW2 etc and actually feel more fun and enjoyable and of course hefty (in terms of types of challenge and different maps) than the Special Ops mode did.

If the quality of things like the maps and things where a bit better signposted and maybe the game had an arbitrary tutorial level it could be passed off as a new game. Certainly there is nothing in it to make me feel the game has aged too badly. Yes its old but it still has lots that makes it the for-runner to modern games rather than oh it was great but it hold nothing useful now. Which to be fair I have felt with some of the XBLA remakes.

Comment

I can't do the weekend but sure if anyone throws an invite say on Monday, going to try to get some matches on BF as well.

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
            who's up for some private online custom games over the weekend ?

love this game, the best value for money 800 points ive ever spent on the marketplace, if you have not downloaded this yet i ask, y not :P

Comment

Originally posted by FelixofMars View Post
              Its weird really, while there is stuff that just isn't as well implemented or polished as modern games there is so much that is essentially more polished or better implemented than modern games.

For example some of the maps are really bland and not very well thought out. However things like the MP challenges are a for-runner to special ops in MW2 etc and actually feel more fun and enjoyable and of course hefty (in terms of types of challenge and different maps) than the Special Ops mode did.

If the quality of things like the maps and things where a bit better signposted and maybe the game had an arbitrary tutorial level it could be passed off as a new game. Certainly there is nothing in it to make me feel the game has aged too badly. Yes its old but it still has lots that makes it the for-runner to modern games rather than oh it was great but it hold nothing useful now. Which to be fair I have felt with some of the XBLA remakes.
              The challenges in the simulator are more like the single player segment of somthing like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, which were actualy released a while before Perfect Dark so it wasnt a forerunner for that kind of gameplay at all really.

Played the 5th level of the single player ealier and I failed it about 20 times before I remembered what I was suppose to do, its not very clear at all really. As enjoyable as this still is, mission objective based level design seems to have come along way within the genre since this was first released.

Comment

It's stupid that so few games include button mapping in the options. I'm not just singling out PD either, it really pisses me off in Battlefield at the moment, and I can think of dozens of other games I'd have enjoyed more had I been able to map the controls. It should be standard practise by now.

Comment

Maybe, I kind of know what you mean. Maybe one of the first console games that did it then. But to be fair we are talking like 2-3 years between these not 10 years :P

Also I am more talking about the whole package, yes UT had the do a mission unlock the next one but I am more talking about the extra polish they added between this and UT. To be fair UT still plays pretty well for an old PC game as well.

Goldeneye was however one of the first games to have a sniper rifle of the type you see in most current FPS games. The other game with a similar mechanic was MDK on PC. I don't think UT was even out then. I know its not PD but just saying they did lots of pioneering work back then.

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                  The challenges in the simulator are more like the single player segment of somthing like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, which were actualy released a while before Perfect Dark so it wasnt a forerunner for that kind of gameplay at all really.

Played the 5th level of the single player ealier and I failed it about 20 times before I remembered what I was suppose to do, its not very clear at all really. As enjoyable as this still is, mission objective based level design seems to have come along way within the genre since this was first released.
                  Last edited by FelixofMars; 18-03-2010, 15:10.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                    It helps when you read the mission briefs.

Comment

i noticed that bodies still disappear after they reach a certain number in the level - just like in the N64 version. they could have fixed this easily. more annoying to me is that aiming in zoomed mode is far too sensitive to be any useful. seems like the sensitivity settings don't affect zoom mode... or have i missed something?

Comment

Completed this in single player today. I still think the level design almost hits a brick wall in the latter half of the game, where you end up just running through corridors all the time. Such a shame after the amazing opening of the game.

Also a bit disappointed with the online co-op, as me and my brother played it last night and none of your stats are brought back into the Single player mode, such as if you unlocked any extra levels together.

The 800 point option was a good decision by Microsoft, perfect price for a bit of nostalgia gaming.

Comment

While PD still has a lot of charm, compared to other games released at the time it hasn't aged well.

Perfect Dark was released in May 2000 in the US

Halo was released a year layer in Nov 2001 in the US. Quake 3 was released a six months before PD in December 1999.

As nice as PD still is, looking back, it doesn't look like a game released at the around same time as Quake 3 or Halo.

Comment

But... Perfect Dark was the follow up to GoldenEye, which was released in 1997, so compared to a game running on a next gen console and a PC game, it's bound not to have aged as well. Obvious, surely.

I don't think Perfect Dark has aged badly at all, to be honest. There's plenty of people praising it and saying it's still ahead of its time.

Comment

Q3A and Halo are arcade frag-fests, PD and Counter Strike are more covert/marksman themed. You can be in a room with three other people with no health and only have three bullets left in your pistol and yet with the right amount of skill take all the other three guys out with headshots, in Halo/Q3A it's more about how long your shield is going to last up or who's being the sensible one fragging the cluster with grenades/explosives/x4 damage.

I'm just done with Pelagic II, the floor texturing and general details/trim around the sub are immense, just like they are on the N64 still.

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                              Completed this in single player today. I still think the level design almost hits a brick wall in the latter half of the game, where you end up just running through corridors all the time. Such a shame after the amazing opening of the game.
                              On Perfect Agent? The preceeding difficulties are only warm-ups, the levels open up with more objectives and thus depth. I presume the levels were tailored for Perfect Agent and then simply diluted for ease.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 18-03-2010, 18:00.

Comment

God I had forgotten how amazing the music is!

Comment

Working...
                                X