Red Dead Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Dead Redemption

Had a quick go on MP at lunchtime, plus the initial 20 mins of single player.

Firstly, the horses looks freaking awesome (I'm playing 360) - muscles on their legs rippling when they walk. Hardly important, but it certainly stood out.

The first 20 mins were just story building, so nothing has really happened yet to report, but the cutscenes are decent and the voice acting was pretty immersive.

MP, I played "grab the bag" and "gang shootout". Load times seemed a bit on the long side. There's the usual vote to skip stuff.

The shootout is pretty funny, with the first few seconds comprising of a traditional line-up and just shooting people right in front of you. On respawn you get to run around picking people off, hiding behind stuff and exploring buildings for guns. The map seems to show everyone most of the time (haven't quite worked that out yet).

The bag game I preferred, with you slowing down massively when you carry the randomly-spawned heavy bags back to your base, protected by your team.

Everything is silky smooth, but I found tracking moving targets a little tricky and the gun everyone kept on using to kill me seemed a bit ott - but there's a levelling system like CoD, so I presume more fun to come.

I also wondered around a few of the areas in free-roam. Nice grass. Then I got killed by a bear. Unprovoked I tell ya! Bears these days. I shot down a buzzard and attempted to mount climb a cactus. All the things you usually do, just to see if you can. The areas seem pretty enormous, with infinite draw distance - if you can see it, you can go to it.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Background music is subtle. Melancholoy bits are really nice. Hope there's lots of variety though.

Comment

Can you describe what the controls are like for the horse. Is it like Shadow of the Colossus, or do you just push up on the stick to move forward etc?

Comment

So is it just like GTA4? Free roaming and life going on around you? Also online combines this atmosphere with how many players online?

Comment

How do the controls compare to GTA4? I felt that game had real issues and online didn't flow for me as a result. I'm hoping this is significantly better

Comment

Controls for the horse are tap A to kick heels into horse to gradually go through walk/trot/canter/gallop. Usefully, just holding A nearby another rider will match the speed, allowing you to then enjoy the scenery. Much the same for the horse drawn carts. It works ok. Oh and Right Bumber is slow down.

If you constantly heel the horse, it will run out of energy and complain and eventually just buck you off (as I found out).

I haven't played GTA4, but yeah people are all around, chatting away and selling stuff. Some guy playing the piano in the bar and pros lounging around. Poker and other games around the town. The stagecoach drives around and you can whilstle it to stop if you are nearby. As I was enjoying a ride up to a Fort, a train was slowly making its way up the valley.

So, earn money and then choose what to spend your time doing I guess. Missions are pretty clear so far and there are challenges (sharpshooter for shooting buzzards etc).

As an intro to shooting, we shot some very cute bunnies eating crops in the garden and then cyotes killing livestock. Reality, man.

In the online, there's a free-roam where you can team up or go it alone to earn cash and online level-up but there wasn't anyone playing that. In the team based games I played there were 4 on each side, but could have just been the rather limited number of people with promo copies, so don't know the max.

Comment

To be honest I'm not so interested in the team multiplayer games. Looks like Uncharted 2 online which I didn't like. Just the idea of a free roaming online game with the whole word still going on around you is cool. Kind of like Burnout Paradise does, but with cars when you free burn online.

Comment

Yeah to be fair I have enough team games, the only bit that interests me is the free roam MP.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Controls for the horse are tap A to kick heels into horse to gradually go through walk/trot/canter/gallop. Usefully, just holding A nearby another rider will match the speed, allowing you to then enjoy the scenery. Much the same for the horse drawn carts. It works ok. Oh and Right Bumber is slow down.

If you constantly heel the horse, it will run out of energy and complain and eventually just buck you off (as I found out).
                  Great to hear that they've copied Shadow of the Colossus controls (no bad thing) as the press A to go up in speed is exactly the same as in SotC.

You also say the horse throws you off for kicking it too much; that also sounds familiar to Colossus' AI in the horse. Making your horse feel like a proper animal of its own.

Cheers.

Comment

You have to push forwards too.... otherwise it doesn't get going at all. But once it's going....

I'd say this is more like Zelda. I've got a map of survival stuff to find now which when found (flowers and stuff) can be traded for cash. You can warp around to places you have been to. You can ride a horse. You can shoot people in the head and kill and skin horses and sell the meat. Just like zelda. No, wait.....

But, just like zelda you can wonder into a chapel and nick stuff from boxes

I saw a man being chased by wild dogs while I was riding around at night time in the middle of nowhere. I considered shooting the dogs, but wanted to watch. They killed him.... ooookkkk.

There's a fair amount of pop-up on the detailed textures in canyons, but apart from that, it's fairly robust. I hadn't really noticed it till someone mentioned it in the news thread and started looking for it.

It's a bit of a collect-o-thon, but collecting tasks. Completing the tasks gives you different outfits and rewards. The outfits give you different properties like "cheat at poker" (I hate poker) or "enter gang's hideout without alerting them".

Comment

Erm, I don't think our man can swim.

I just got massively drunk at the bar. Couldn't use the dunny properly though.

Comment

Yeah, I read somewhere that the rivers were one of the means of confinement in the game world along with mountains and canyons. Hopefully they're properly rushing rivers and not just streams.

Although someone did post on GAF a shot of Marston on horseback coming out of a river.

Comment

Yeah, it was ok on the horse, but I didn't go in deeper. Have been capturing wild horses and getting involved in duels and fist fights (ended that one by knifing him and stealing a stagecoach when the law arrived...)

Characters are pretty good i.e. believable.

Comment

Does karma go up for wiping out Red Indians?

What are the whores like?

Also, anyone not playing this with the entire works of Ennio Morricone as the custom soundtrack can f**koff.
                            Last edited by dataDave; 18-05-2010, 20:31.

Comment

I'm going to buy this next week when I finish Borderlands and Wolfenstein (SP)

Are you guys using headsets....if its best (as I fancy playing this MP) may I ask for a headset option on the PS3 please..

Just..I don't play FPS that much online..Im a SP weirdo...only LBP and street fighter and I get by with typing..

But when you're in a outlaw posse 'how cool' I'm guessing a headset would be benificial for all.

Great impressions..

Comment

Working...
                              X