No announcement yet.

Red Dead Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't keep everything they sent me. I gave away the tshirt and soap and stickers and postcards to someone in the blueroom "for free" thread...... I guess not.

Comment

Is the general feel to go with some sort of Expert gun mode, as Normal is a bit on the easy side?

Comment

Is there an option to turn the 'Golden Guns' preorder off?
        I downloaded the so-called (cough* disk unlocks) preorder incentives of the limited edition, and just want to use regular guns instead.

Had to have a little chuckle at their 'Master Hunter' sidequest thing, where you skin pelts/ meat from wildlife to use them for stuff.

Comment

jimtendo was that a uk copy? i cant get mine to download keeps saying 'Failed to connect to R* code Unlock server'

Comment

Was really looking forward to picking this up from asda 2 morrow - BUT... out of the blue - they have decided not to stock it.. Asked my friend who works on the department, and there was no reason given.. ??????

360 :- Johnnygames
            PS3 :- Johnnygames

edit - Just seen a previous post about this, n i spose we'll see..
            head office must be talking balls again..
            Last edited by sailor-fuku; 20-05-2010, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstorm View Post
              jimtendo was that a uk copy? i cant get mine to download keeps saying 'Failed to connect to R* code Unlock server'
              Aye, tis the UK PAL version.

Comment

Gah still not working my end =<

Out of curiosity are you linked to a Rockstar Social Club account on the Gamertag it worked for? I just linked mine and am wondering if it may be causing a problem
                Last edited by Darkstorm; 20-05-2010, 16:46.

Comment

I can't get the game pre order code to unlock either. Keeps failing to connect.

Comment

(Just a quick thank you as I don't want to derail thread with offtopic)

(went with the Giotech headset with the HDMI and shoulder buttons, currently playing borderlands, will be able to test the buttons out as its L2 and R2)

Thank you again.

Comment

That's it from me on this. I've now sent it on to Fergal to review.

My final comments are thus:

I like twitch gaming. FPS, Racing, 2D shooters, Platformers etc.
                      Red Dead Redemption is the first sandbox game I have enjoyed (in the 6 hours or so I put in). I think the reason for this is that it's so utterly believable. I really wanted to find out what was going on. And really wanted to help people do seemingly mundane tasks like cattle herding at night in a storm (quite exciting actually!).

Anyone that likes sandbox games must get this because it's amazing.

And the way you can just whistle for your horse at any time.... and the waypoint system on the map.... and the great voice acting...... the icing tastes good.

Comment

Great game so far. The night sky was outstanding.

Some idiot pulled me off my horse and started riding off with it. A bullet soon put a stop to his little game. The horse AI leaves a little to be desired... it fell off a cliff. At least I got some meat and hide for my trouble. Ran back to the ranch (was on the mission to clear the Basin of Rustlers so I was close to home). On the way back the game kindly came up with a message saying that I could set up camp and save from it which means you can effectively save anywhere and not just at your bed. As for the horse, after a save I whistled and my newly reincarnated steed came running.

I failed to stop the hanging but went to the dashboard and reloaded so I am not sure whether I get another go.

There seems to be a good variety of wild and not so wild life... Coyotes (made about $40 from them so far), Rabbits, Wild Horses, Amadillos, Deer (I think), Skunks, Dogs and Cattle. Doing quite well off the outlaws bodies. Up to $276 after a few hours play.

Comment

Have put in about an hour and not blown away, it's definately a rockstar title and they haven't messed with the groundwork set by the GTA titles. It feels very similar to GTA4 although the controls of the horse are miles better than the vehicles from their earlier title.
                          Only had one proper shootout on foot which felt ok, cover works well enough and weapons feel good. Recharging health seems out of place but should make it less frustrating. Autoaim is quite strong by default so might turn that off. Combat on horseback feels superb, although I haven't done much other than shoot at rabbits

All the good stuff from Rockstar too - the script is already above and beyond almost every other videogame, likewise the voice acting is excellent so far. Nice atmosphere too, the sense of place is very immersive although within an hour I haven't done a great deal. Size of the map doesn't seem to be as epic as I was dreading, comparing what I travelled to the map in the box.

Graphics are good but I wouldn't say they are great, need more time to appreciate the smaller details.

Spent a few minutes knocking over a drunk who stumbled out of a saloon.

Yeah so far it seems like a good title and already better than Just Cause 2! Not blown away like some, but an hour is hardly touching what's available.

Comment

My main problem seemed to be that I have to avoid dying so much. When I chanced upon the Stagecoach robbery I turned the horse around and raced out of range, turned round and disposed of the bandits.

I must admit to initially having problems with controlling the horse's speed with the A button.

I rapidly came to conclusion that missions are best undertaken in daylight (darkness may have contributed to the ability to die!!). Admittedly the early morning sky looked rather good.

Not sure what my aiming setttings are (I haven't changed them at all) but the locking on seems a bit hit and miss!!!

There does seem to be a very high attention to detail in the game. I came out of my bunkhouse and just looked around the Ranch. The look of the game is much better than GTA IV which had that "misty" quality to it.

Comment

So does it really not have that awful smearing to the visuals that took so long for me to get accustomed to with GTA4?

Comment

It has a natural look to it. None of the "smearing" from GTA IV. I am playing on the 360 and I assume the PS3 looks pretty much the same.

On the mission to rescue the travelling salesman I did notice some slowdown at one stage. Other than that it seems to run very well considering the level of detail. I shall have to do an HD install and see if it runs any better.

Rescuing the salesman I got to drive his wagon which was a bit different to just riding a horse. I failed at the first attempt and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could restart from a checkpoint rather than having to redo the whole mission (as was the case with GTA IV).

Comment

Working...
                                X