No announcement yet.

Red Dead Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been caning Lost Planet 2 all of last week, so when I first approached the fort at the start of the game, I was planning on using my grappling anchor to climb the walls !

I'm really enjoying it so far. I loved rolling into town for the first time. I even looked for the tower clock that clicks just before it chimes like on The Quick and the Dead.

It's interesting that a lot of the chance encounters I've had seem to have happened to you guys, they seemed so unique to me!

I swear I can't walk from A to B without about 4 things happening.

1. I was trying to get to Armadillo after the early Walton Gang mission: I saved a treasure hunter; raided a gang hideout; was robbed of my hoss!
    2. I walked into town: I saved the "new hole" ho; saved a guy being dragged by a gang; won a quickdraw duel; spoke to the Mother of the missing boy!

It's so easy to get distracted. I'll be riding to look for a horse to break and then spot some flowers to pick, get shot at by some desperado and then stop to look at the views.

For the last three nights I've played poker with the boys at Bonnie's ranch and cleaned 'em out. I might have stayed up a little bit too late playing this game as I'm knackered now...

Good signs that I'm getting addicted! I thought everybody would be in a posse doing the gang hideouts together, but everybody playing it on my friends list are enjoying the single player.

Once you've caught a horse, can you sell them back to the ranch or only ride off with them? I caught one and lead it all the way back to the ranch and nothing happened. I want to do the horse-breaking achievement before breaking out the Warhorse.

I don't think I've seen a single glitch yet, but I've installed it to the hard drive, if that makes a difference.

Comment

So...my horse had suddenly changed from the white/grey stallion to a dark brown one.

What the hell is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
        So...my horse had suddenly changed from the white/grey stallion to a dark brown one.

What the hell is going on?
        It's the chewin' baccy messing with your eyes.

...or syphilis from being pleasured by too many ladies of ill repute!

Comment

That is bizarre to say the least!

Had another frustrating moment just now. I was riding into Thieves Landing to see the Unknown Stranger's friend. I rolled up on my horse only to be greeted by a hail of bullets from a number of gunmen. I hate arriving places at night.

I managed to obtain the two shotgun's I now need to find that Springfield Rifle when the relevant Hideout is repopulated.

I discovered that the "Safe Rescue" stronghold is only on the PS3.

Currently trying to get enough fame to get a visit from the nun with the special item that protects you... It makes the first bullets less accurate (can't remember the exact description).

Comment

Yeah, it's odd. I had my grey stallion from bonnie and then I started a story mission he was replaced with some boring brown unit.

Not happy to be honest. May as well use the warhorse code now.

I'm hoping I find a sniper rifle soon as it won't let me buy one so I'm guessing it's story related.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              I guess if you're not a massive western fan then it will loose a fair bit of it's appeal.
              Maybe, yeah. I'd say I'm a fan of some of the great westerns but wouldn't count myself as a fan of the genre.

Going to stick with it though ... I think I just need to play it some more ... maybe I'm expecting too much too early on.

Comment

Some of the horses you have to break them in first before you can go buy them or they will be unavailable to buy.

Game does have some missions where it will default and give you a different horse and for some reason it rids the one your using. Thing is the Warhorse is the best horse in the game so if you have that you might as well use it. The one Bonnie gives you is up their but still not as good and the other two are variations on Bonnies (Hungerian and the black stallion). Their broken down to the 3 that one is faster, one has more stamina, one is stronger and the Warhorse has all 3. Bit of a cheat really and I wish the CE didnt include it after doing over 10hrs on solo messing about and wish I could have disabled it from the start. When it costs $750 for the best horse ($1500 without discount) thats alot of gametime before you get a 3 level steed deed and constant fear of your steed dying. Warhorse kill it skin it eat it whistle for another one.

Comment

Sniper Rifles don't appear until you get to Mexico. The first comes on a mission there. The better one you can only buy in Blackwater, which is also the place for the best Repeater.

Just got my Springfield Rifle on one of the Hideouts which is the most powerful Rifle I currently have.

The Stallion Bonnie lets you keep is apparently the equal of the Warhorse. I have been using the Stallion for most of the game so far, having bought the Horse Deed for it... Kentucky Saddler, so that I can click on the deed to get it back when the game swaps my horse, Strangely the Warhorse does not appear in the guide (at least not with the other horses anyway).

I have been methodically looting bodies and with the last Hideout (where I got the Springfield) I have topped $2000.

Must get my fame up (I am at Hero level on Honour) for the "Obsuridad Del Santos Andres" which apparently lowers enemies accuracy when they open fire on you. A nun will give present it to you.
                  Last edited by Bassman; 25-05-2010, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                    Yeah, it's odd. I had my grey stallion from bonnie and then I started a story mission he was replaced with some boring brown unit.

Not happy to be honest. May as well use the warhorse code now.

I'm hoping I find a sniper rifle soon as it won't let me buy one so I'm guessing it's story related.
                    Thats happened to me a few times.
                    With the weapons don't buy any until you get to the G location on the map. Then purchase the RARE pistol (all the rest have been found in game so far and I only purchased that one for the achievement).

Comment

I decided there was no way I was going to be buying weapons anytime soon. The selection I have now is more than adequate (Pistol, 2 Repeaters, Springfield Rifle and two Shotguns).

Comment

Is there an advantage to owning a horse deed? I'd rather not spend 2000 bucks on some uber fast stallion if it's just going to get shot in the head as soon as I leave town.

Comment

You can select it again and the horse is yours again I believe (So it's basically a permanent free version of the horse).

Did anyone manage to find the treasure at the Hanging Rock? Spent about an hour last night trying to line it all up like the map and not a thing!

Comment

The most expensive horses are $1500, reducing to $750 when you have enough honour. Just don't buy the deed in Thieves Landing.

I spent ages looking for the Hanging Rock Treasure and got so fed up I resorted to Google! The map was not a great deal of help. Just make sure you search everywhere around the rock.

Had a moment of amusement from the game this afternoon. It was the stolen horse incidental mission. Usual... shoot thief. Lasoo horse. Lead horse back into town. Just as I was passing the Marshall's Office in Armadillo the horse in tow decided it had had enough and stopped. I had the very amusing spectacle of me on my horse struggling to walk up main street with the other guy's horse just standing there being dragged along. Best laugh I have had out of the game yet!!

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post

Did anyone manage to find the treasure at the Hanging Rock? Spent about an hour last night trying to line it all up like the map and not a thing!
                              Heh. Spent an age myself trying to line up the piccies. Turns out that (I'll spoiler this just to be safe)

illustrations 1 and 2 are the same group o' rocks from different angles.

I found it in mere moments after discovering this.

Comment

Into the final 3/3 of this now and don't want it to end, maybe I'll do all the side stuff first and leave the final few missons till last, the final area of the map around Blackwater has

really changed what I thought all the environments would be like, was expecting it to be more desert and cactus but instead it forests and snowy mountains,

it really does look pretty stunning, not sure if that really counts as a spoiler, but some folks might not want to know about the different areas before they get to them so just in case.

Also finished the Strangers side mission "I know you", I can only assume that the

man is God as when John says to him "Damn You" he replys "Many have"

, definately the highlight of the Strangers missions for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X