Fallout New Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallout New Vegas

Picked this up at a midnight launch last night- only played for 90 minutes before going to bed.

Initial impressions are very good- the opening isn't a cool as the one from Fallout 3 but sets up things nicely.

The opening town is very cool- feels very different to Fallout 3, it has a kind of western vibe and is less run down than anything you see in F3. The writing from what I've played so far is a lot better this time around and some of the characters in the opening town are very cool.

In terms of game mechanics the new FPS mechanics aren't as good as they could be as you can still tell that dice rolls are going on in the background.

In terms of performance it shares the same issues that F3 had, but I can already tell that I am going to get completely sucked into the game.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Can't wait for this. Keep the impressions coming!

Comment

Played 5.5 hours tonight- I'm playing with Hardcore mode on and it really makes a difference to how you play. I'm a lot less gung-ho than I was in FO3 due to the fact Stimpak only heal over time and injuries need Doctor's bags to fix.

The scale of the game like FO3 is very overwhelming as there is so much to do. I've got 5 or 6 quests on the go at the moment and I'm finding some of them very tough. The towns I've visited so far all have their own vibe and some of the factional stuff has begun to come into play- the dialog normally allows you to talk your way out of trouble with some of them.

A couple of iffy bugs have shown up breaking quests but been fine on a reload- its buggier than FO3 but thats to be expected as Obsidian are notorious for releasing buggy games.

Comment

Originally posted by ekucz123 View Post
        Played 5.5 hours tonight- I'm playing with Hardcore mode on and it really makes a difference to how you play. I'm a lot less gung-ho than I was in FO3 due to the fact Stimpak only heal over time and injuries need Doctor's bags to fix.

The scale of the game like FO3 is very overwhelming as there is so much to do. I've got 5 or 6 quests on the go at the moment and I'm finding some of them very tough. The towns I've visited so far all have their own vibe and some of the factional stuff has begun to come into play- the dialog normally allows you to talk your way out of trouble with some of them.

A couple of iffy bugs have shown up breaking quests but been fine on a reload- its buggier than FO3 but thats to be expected as Obsidian are notorious for releasing buggy games.
        As are Bethesda!

Despite my previous statements I'm almost certain to buy this.

Comment

very spooky anything like that on consoles too?

Comment

Started playing it now. Encountered my first bug: the robot guard in the starting town just dissapeared, spent ages looking for him (has some minor quests relating to him).

Other than that, it's basically Fallout 3 so far but with a less heavily guided intro. Enjoying it a lot.

Comment

Just nipped out to get a copy and it doesn't work! 360 doesn't even seem to recognise the disc. Just my luck. I am far too lazy to go back today.

Comment

just picked it up and got suckered into buying the guide...stopped me picking up the "LTD" Edtion set tho so no worse off money wise. Sunday begins my week of shutting myself away from the world!!

Comment

It has decided to work now! Just done the intro, going through the basic tutorial brought so many memories back. I remembered how much the game eats your life and I also remembered I had to make tea and I have friends down all weekend. I think it will have to wait until Sunday afternoon now.
                  I have also stupidly decided to have a go on hardcore mode.

Comment

I'm back playing Fallout 3 at the mo. Will get this in a couple of months for something to play over xmas. Is it a bit morecolourful than F3 or is it all bleak browns and greys?

I would imagine after armageddon, the world would soon be overgrown by greenery so can never understand why devs don't input a bit more colour into their games.

Comment

Doesn't the fallout basically prevent the growth of all but the most hardy (Usually dull coloured) crop, through contamination of the earth?

Comment

Been playing this on PC and it's absolutely bloody superb. Really enjoying it. However i've already come across a couple of very odd bugs:

The deputy for the first town you come to

was stuck in the ceiling with his legs flailing around, even when I was talking to him.

I fast-travelled to a location only for the screen to go completely black apart from the HUD, however the pip-boy works fine, nothing else will. Odd.

Also, the PC version currently has extreme performance issues on any nVidia card right now. The moment an NPC comes into view, you'll pretty much go into single digit FPS. There's an 'unofficial' fix in the form of a D3D9.dll that you place in the Fallout directory, that completely annihilates these performance issues and makes the game run like **** off a shovel.

Brilliant stuff.

So any nVidia PC players trying to get on with this, you might find it handy.

Comment

I am sure I cannot be the only person wondering why Stepp has decided to give the game a 1 in the players poll. Care to enlighten us?

Comment

I thought it was quite obvious, for attention/making a statement.

Currently put a few hours into this & so far im really liking it, no glitches or crashes so far but i hooked it to live to see if there was an update & there was so that might be the reason. Seems a bit less grim than fallout 3, tiny bit more colour but not by much hehe.

Feels right at home if you have done 3 as pretty much everything controls the same, i have been giggling like a fool though when you come across geckos, the way they run just cracks me up. Yup i can see me ploughing obscene amounts of time into this one.

Comment

I got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...

Enjoying it a lot. Haven't got into Vegas yet

Just sent some ghouls up in a rocket

. Would say that it's perhaps taking a bit too long to steer you to Vegas, the game very much feels exactly like Fallout 3 so far with no real changes.

Anyone having issues with really low resolution textures on the pip boy?

Comment

Working...
                              X