No announcement yet.

Fallout New Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More of the same from what I have played so far, but thats not a bad thing. The trouble is, I played the first one to death, so this is way to samey for me. regardless of how great it may be.

Comment

I love how it's like returning to a familiar world...

I am instantly more gripped by the story and the narrative though i must admit. I was a bit 'meh' to Fallout 3's actual story, but loved exploring the world and experiencing the many side stories and optional missions. Those to me felt more real, more personal...

New Vegas though instantly has me gripped by the core story. I really do want to find out what the hell is going on - and some of the dialogue is absolutely priceless.

It's certainly very familiar, very fallout 3.... but wonderfully so. I really do like to think of this not as a sequel but as a new chapter. Just want i wanted!
      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Put about 4 hours into this and already i have had some of those brilliant moments where you see something odd in the distance and go wandering off to see what it is only to find yourself totally miles off course for what your original destination was. Brilliant. Think I'll lose another 55hours to this.
        ps no crashes or glitches for me so far and im on xbox.

Comment

Indeed.
          it really must be considered that all games... ALL GAMES have horrible bugs - even game breakers - left in them due to various reasons... whether they are found or not is another story.

But all this fuss about New Vega's issues are just ridiculous considering the sheer amount of content involved in such short time. Hats off i say...

Comment

Worth picking up now then? Put off getting it on Friday as I'd heard it was really buggy and would rather wait until it was patched before making a purchase. Besides, I know when I do pick it up, I'll lose another 150+ hours to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
              ALL GAMES have horrible bugs - even game breakers - left in them due to various reasons... whether they are found or not is another story.
              Most games seem to manage to get released with bugs going completely under the radar. I've played many games (most games) from start to finish without a hint of a bug showing. That's not to say they aren't there, they're just either very small or take a huge amount of work to find.

Releasing a game fairly bug-free can be, and frequently, is done.

Taking into account the amount of content and time it took really isn't something most people will do. Nor should they have to. Bugs are bugs. And more content=more bugs is something that needs to be planned for. The games don't come with a little booklet with pleas from the game designers to take their deadlines into account when you come across a spinning head. Perhaps they should?

Comment

Yeah, agreed man. I wasn't having a rant by the way, just trying to remind people a hell of a lot goes on behind the scenes, and quite often there just isn't enough time. Especially in games like Fallout, which is so heavily focused on unpredictable simulation scenarios. Thank goodness for title updates eh!

On a personal note, I've stumbled upon a handful of issues but nothing worth shouting about. This really is a magnificent game - the next few weeks are going to fly by

Comment

There's no doubt the amount of variables in the recent Fallout games must be a massive bug headache. I was amazed right at the start of Fallout 3 when a major character died and I read it was possible to avoid that and then when another died I didn't expect and the game just adjusted and went on as normal. The ability for these games to take into account what you're going to do (and allow scenarios that possibly haven't been taken into account) is very impressive. And no small task to take on.

Comment

I will say that the faction system doesn't quite gel smoothly.

For one thing, when you get to the strip, you're basically bombarded with 8 or so choices that have direct consequences on reputation and/or story all within about 5 minutes when before then, you've only had one of these choices every couple of hours or so.

I was given a mission which basically took me to the heart of Caeser's base

As I was enemies with them, I basically had to wipe out the whole camp which took a couple of hours. I killed caeser and his commanders, what do I get? Lots of notices of failed quests, a rubbish piece of armour and that's it. Nothing to let me know I've pretty much wiped out one of the big forces in the game.

When I completed the mission I got a quest complete message and nothing else. No reward or anything (although I got an amusing message from Mr Yes when I went back).

There was a really tough vault with lots of tough radioactive ghouls in it that took an age to complete. I beat the boss, shut down the reactor and got a quest reward: some NCR fame. Nothing else.

The game has failed a few times now to give satisfactory rewards/feedback for performing what should be major acts. Never got this with Fallout 3, you always seemed to be proportionately compensated for completing major missions/dungeons.

Still enjoying it hugely but I'm thinking more and more that Fallout 3 is a better game.

Comment

Will probably get this at some point as I really liked Fallout 3. I had to stop playing it for a while though because the game was so damn big. I just didn't have the time to give it all the attention it deserved.

Comment

Only thing im missing in this game is my own house, im running out of weight allowance as im carrying everything about & im struggling with radiation poisioning. I miss my surgical station in my megaton house where you could heal everything as needed. Now im getting raped 100 caps at a time from the doc in goodsprings.

Comment

Remember to make more then 1 save at a time children!!

In Fallout 3 I got stuck in a doorway also stuck between a rock and a tree branch. Having a spare save 1 behind was a life saver and also a pad saver!

Comment

haha, so true. Always, always have a spare save at the ready

I lost a good hour earlier by being ambushed by a pack of giant angry scorpions!

Comment

I think most people will accept that games of this magnitude have a far greater capacity for issues, due to the INSANE amount of variables there must be in any given situation. Still worth waiting for at least one patch though I would think, to fix the worst of the problems.

Originally posted by FamiDude View Post
                              Worth picking up now then? Put off getting it on Friday as I'd heard it was really buggy and would rather wait until it was patched before making a purchase. Besides, I know when I do pick it up, I'll lose another 150+ hours to it.
                              Patch has already been announced I think.

Comment

If your on about the 360 version then theres already a patch released, not sure for other systems. Connected my 360 to live & it asked me to update. No idea what the patch fixes as i installed it before i started playing.

I found that the 2 items trick with sellers still works even with the patch hehe. Means i can buy what i want from them, repair all my stuff then use the trick to get all my caps back LOLOL

Comment

Working...
                                X