Dead Nation (PSN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Nation (PSN)

Played a couple of levels of this earlier.

First impressions are very good, a top down twin stick shooter featuring zombies that has actual proper levels as opposed to the arena type combat that is typical of the genre sounds great on paper and it seems to translate really well into an actual game.

Plays great, the controls are simple but the mechanics are really quite deep as you come equipped with things like charge shots, a speed boost type move and a melee attack that works in a simular fashion as the one in Left 4 Dead (which means you will end up using it alot). This is also somewhat of a loot collecting game, theres loads of cash and upgrade items to be found in loads of little nooks and cranies all over the levels.

The upgrade system is really good, you always seem to be buying new weapons and finding new armour, and theres plenty of customisation in the way you can build your character by equipping different armour types too, it may sound strange but I feel that the RPG elements to this game almost make it feel less like a standard twin stick shooter and actualy more akin to somthing like Diablo (crossed with left 4 Dead). Thats a comparison that probabaly makes even more sense when the game is played in co-op, though Ive yet to actualy try it yet.

I'm also happy that you can change the button mapping for virtually all the controls, as I didnt really like how the game had them originaly set up.

Anyway, so far this is just brilliant, if I have a complaint its that the veiw is quite far away from the action and its really dark so can be a strain on the eyes, though maybe Im being stupid and theres a way to zoom in a bit. It plays brilliantly though, I absolubtley love it so far.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Thanks for these impressions, I'm buying the **** out of this when I get home later. Really want to see what the co-op is like though, we should setup a thread in the online section for PSN IDs.

Hopefully they'll sort the voice bug out soon enough.

Comment

will D/L this later -whats the size in mb?

Comment

About 1.4GB I think it was. Not small.

Comment

Just bought this can't wait to play it, love Stardust HD!

Comment

Oh my God!!

This is amazing!! To think that some games cost 4 times as much as this but offer nowhere near as much entertainment!

The leaderboards are really something too.

Top, top stuff.

Looks great especially the lighting, sounds spooky and controls really well. Nice squelchy headshot sound effects.

Comment

This game has the best explosion effects I've ever seen, just watch when a car or barrel explodes.

Comment

Up to the 4th level on normal solo and the 3rd level on co op Grim (hard) difficulty now.

Grim is alot harder than normal, does anyone know if the difficulty scales up further when playing with another person?

Still absolubtley loving it, apparently I spent 69 minutes and 56 seconds doing the second mission with a random guy online, we died so many times but kept comming back for more punishment.... sign of a great game if ever there was one.

Comment

I said in another post pac-man championship edition DX maybe be the best downloadable title this year, well as of today that dont apply as dead nation kicks its butt and as teddymeow said some retail games too. Everything from the menus to the music and graphics is top notch, plus its very challenging, co-op online is the way to go, and the country leaderboards are awesome.

Comment

Played the beta of this and was bored. Presentation was uninspired, graphics were too small and dark to appreciate. Super Stardust kicks this into a cocked hat.
                    A completely soulless experience, maybe it was the beta, but I can't imagine much has been done since that to inject fun and interesting gameplay into it. If you have Burn, Zombie Burn! then that is a much better game and fun to boot!

Comment

Bought and downloaded, but I'm so close to the end of Castlevania at the moment I'm going to hold off for now. Hopefully be ready for the weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                        Played the beta of this and was bored. Presentation was uninspired, graphics were too small and dark to appreciate. Super Stardust kicks this into a cocked hat.
                        A completely soulless experience, maybe it was the beta, but I can't imagine much has been done since that to inject fun and interesting gameplay into it. If you have Burn, Zombie Burn! then that is a much better game and fun to boot!
                        This is how I felt. Although, I think I should give the full game a chance with a friend.

Comment

Burn zombie burn was fun enough but its not really a patch on this.

As I stated in my first post this is pretty original for a twin stick shooter becuase youre not just in an aren type enviroment killing endless waves of zombies.

I dont understand how you got bored of this but not Burn Zombie burn when that had alot less variety to it.

Comment

DD you couldn't be more wrong, this game kicks burn zombie burn' s butt and has a lot of strategy to it , and killing zombies to boot.

Comment

Hmm I'll have to check this out agian. I had an early preview build and it was ridiculously tough.

Comment

Working...
                              X