No announcement yet.

Zelda - the Wind Waker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After getting to the Under Sea part again in the US version, I can firmly say I am so glad to have played through the JAP version first. I think a lot of the things I found satisfying and really made me love Wind Waker are not so in the US version.... they are mainly little things, but are hard to explain...

Obviously I love the story part of the US version and all the character side quests, but completing the dungeons and tasks in the JAP version, (not having the text to give hints) really did make a better experience imo. Take the Sea Gulls and the Pear for an example? In the description it tells you what they do. One of the most satisfying parts of wind waker while playing through the jap was just randomly finding this out without a clue in the world.

Another being the little task just before the first dungeon where you must throw the child human/bird character (I forgot her name sorry) up to the ledge by timing your throw with the wind. Again, she tells you how to do this. Working this out in the jap was a small but ultimately satisfying task?

These are just small examples of course, but there are little things like this throughout. Personally I am extremely happy that I had the opportunity to play through the dungeons oblivious to any clues in the JAP version, and now can truly appreciate the story too in the US, ultimately having the best of both worlds?

Anyone else who has played through the jap feel this way? Anyhoo, I must be off. Chocolate to eat and Zelda to play

Kind regards
    Adam
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Dragon Roost island:

Just need a Boss Key and then I'm on forra fight.

I found a tingle statue too, anybody else found one of those?

The sword fighting in this game completley out strips OoT, more depth to it, picking up other wepaons as well is also entertaining. Love that justdodge&attack move.

Comment

I just finished it.
        Adam mentioned how the last boss was dissapointing.
        To a certain extent the first part was kinda dumb,
        but it was FUN!
        Also getting there was great.
        And the final phase was quite epic.

I rather enjoyed it.
        The credits were great too!

Comment

I have spent today just sailing around and getting my map filled in. Its amazing how such a mundane task can still keep you interested for a couple of hours.

Some of the sidequests also are quite difficult until you speak to the fish so it is useful. Well I found it useful for lighting up the light house.

It really is a stunning game.

Comment

Well, I just finished the Tower of the Gods, got my Master Sword, and am back on the surface.

One question though about this game and it's placement in the Zelda game histiry, and I'll spoiler-tag it so that no one reads it who doesn't want to:

Originally posted by spoiler
            Okay, this is my first real Zelda game. I'd tried the first one on the NES, but it didn't do anything for me, so I quickly dropped it. But, with this one I'm really loving it, and so I'd like for someone to explain to me where it belongs in the Zelda game. What is it before and after. Also, if anyone has to the inclination, what IS the story of the Zelda games, from the beginning? When I went under the sea and got to the castle, I can only guess that this is the castle where the other games take place around, and that the land beneath the sea is actually Hyrule, which has some how been flooded or something like it. So, would anyone love to fill me in? I'm clueless here...
            Anyway, I have to say that I'm loving this game. It is so interesting to have to figure out how to get past areas and opponents. Learning what combinations of items to use, like arrows and bombs for example. Very rewarding, and challenging. Now I wish I'd started playing these from the beginning...

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
              Well, I just finished the Tower of the Gods, got my Master Sword, and am back on the surface.

One question though about this game and it's placement in the Zelda game histiry, and I'll spoiler-tag it so that no one reads it who doesn't want to:

Originally posted by spoiler
              Okay, this is my first real Zelda game. I'd tried the first one on the NES, but it didn't do anything for me, so I quickly dropped it. But, with this one I'm really loving it, and so I'd like for someone to explain to me where it belongs in the Zelda game. What is it before and after. Also, if anyone has to the inclination, what IS the story of the Zelda games, from the beginning? When I went under the sea and got to the castle, I can only guess that this is the castle where the other games take place around, and that the land beneath the sea is actually Hyrule, which has some how been flooded or something like it. So, would anyone love to fill me in? I'm clueless here...
              <snip>
              Don't worry mate. All that of which you seek will be revealed, since you have to go back there soon-ish.

Comment

Just wondering; Where about's is everyone in the game?

As of yesterday afternoon, when I stopped playing for the first time this weekend. I had just learnt the "Ballad of Gales", acquired the Fire/Ice arrows and was making my way towards Ice Ring Isle.

Comment

Hoy!

I received Zelda on Saturday morning but I haven’t had much time to play it at all, but what i have played has been magnificent.

I had the Jap version before and played that until the 4th or 5th dungeon. I love this game even more now, the US version ties it all together for me and i'm really taking my time and doing all the side quests for everyone. As Adam has said though it's not as satisfying completing a task when it's spelt out for you, having to use your own initiative to complete some of the task in the Jap version was very rewarding. Having said that being able to understand the story and become closer to the characters is just as fulfilling.

Amazing game.

Comment

I've had the game since Saturday and I must admit at first I was "Yeah it's nice but I?ve seen it all before" But I?ve just completed the Dragon Roost Dungeon (well last night) and my perception changed.
                    Fantastic visual effects and excellent level design. I think I?ll try and complete as many side quests as possible and not just blast through the game.

Regarding the Japanese/US versions of the game, I was sorely tempted to get the Japanese version but I resisted and I?m so glad I did. I know some people find it satisfying sorting out clues and quests when you can't understand the language but not me. I love watching a story unfurl and I wouldn't have picked up all the small nuances with the Japanese language version. Plus I?m really crap at games anyway so I need all the help I can get.

Anyway, so far so good.
                    One question, how many dungeons are there? I tried not to read anything about the game before hand.

Comment

I got it on Saturday too.. finished the dungeon after Dragon Roost last night. After my initial "it's just OOT with prettier graphics" feeling, I have changed my mind - this time round its far better... the level design, the puzzles, the cute little tricks... all wonderful. And it's looking to be a huge game as well, perhaps not in dungeon count, but in lots of little things to do and discover.

You can see the influence that Majora's Mask had too, though thankfully "time" isn't as important in WW. The gameplay mechanic of catching people in the act of doing stuff is though. It's used in a nicer way this time round, for example trying to photo the guy wandering down to the post box - in MM you'd have to rewind time every time you failed to photo him, but here he (unrealistically, but more forgivingly) resets to his start location every time you enter a building.

And the guy in Windfall Island's "battleships" game hut is hilarious. Funniest videogame moment ever that - if you haven't been to see him, go there right now! I think the sense of humour running through the game makes it easier to bear the more frustrating/tedius moments e.g. sailing between islands, performing some of the jumpy sections, etc.

I am not reading any more of this thread though - too many spoilers!

Comment

I think the size of this thread alone shows the sort of effect Wind Waker has on people. I simply cannot get it out of my head; I am associating almost everything with my Zelda experience… I look at sea gulls in a different eye now, wishing I had a pear on me. I see people and think ‘he looks just like the guy from Windmill Island’ and while sitting on a bus, dreaming into space, I think ‘my god I wish I was sailing’ Heh. It is quite funny but also scary and quite frankly worrying too. Lol Great stuff indeedy

Last night was spent a great deal of time doing all the things I missed out on playing through the jap. I can finally enjoy all the character side quests and am able to be absorbed properly in the many different Islands. It was quite surprising to see just how much depth there is in Windmill Island. As has been said, the influence MM had on WW really can be seen, and I welcome this…little things like the following the Mario-look-alike to post his love letter and sneaking up on the couple in the photo gallery really do put a smile on my face

Also I have just started the trading for the little Eskimo dude. There are Gorons! How I smiled when you first see one and he says ‘Are you..? No you couldn’t possibly be’ a great connection to OOT there

one question, how many dungeons are there? I tried not to read anything about the game before hand.
                        There are 5 ‘proper’ dungeons as such, but there are many ‘mini’ dungeons too, such as the Forsaken Fortress which you visit twise and Ganon’s castle to name but a few.
                        ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

That's all well and good but what the hell does that telescope kid want a picture of?

No, don't tell me, I don't want spoilers. But, at the same time I want you to. NNNNNNNG.

Comment

I seem to be stuck.

I'm on Dragon Roost Island, but I can't find the boss key? I have a funny feeling I've screwed up and need to restart the game. I've got the grapple and I'm at the moment by the warp jar near the rope bridge - what do I need to do now? I can't go back up the the part where the bird girl is as the steps have collapsed? Am I screwed?

Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
                              Hopefully this might be able to answer questions about the timeline. Spoilers though... depends how much you want to read

This website is for sale! teamanti.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, teamanti.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Most things are pre-WW though... WW lies between OoT/MM and LttP... so like... Hyrule unfloods somewhere down the line!
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
                                I seem to be stuck.

I'm on Dragon Roost Island, but I can't find the boss key? I have a funny feeling I've screwed up and need to restart the game. I've got the grapple and I'm at the moment by the warp jar near the rope bridge - what do I need to do now? I can't go back up the the part where the bird girl is as the steps have collapsed? Am I screwed?

Neil.
                                My memory's a little hazy, but -

Get back to where those steps that collapsed were (outside), then simply use the grapple hook to go the opposite direction (down and to the right) where you'll be able to carry on

Apologies if that's not the right bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X