No announcement yet.

Dark Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there was a pc version that would be awesome.

Comment

I've reached the last boss, but I am absolutely stuck.

Any tips?

Am Lvl 74, about 80 hours on the clock, Dark Knig8ht Sword +5 for my main weapon (about 450 atk), and this does more damage than my Chaos +5 Murakumo, despite that having higher stats (is Gwyn immune to fire damage?).

I've tried various armours, from the heavy stuff needing Havel's ring, to the lighter flame-proof Izalith armour. Mix and matched flash sweat and iron flesh, with various stat boosting rings. All no good.

Gwyn basically jumps, does heavy damage regardless of whether I roll or attempt to block him (this does 70% damage), and then quickly follows up with a slash that kills me.

I barely last a few seconds. I'd like to tank through it, since I can't do riposts or parries, but nothing seems to block the damage. And his range is insane, so rolling seems useless.

Watched a few videos on Youtube, but I've no idea how these people seem to be simply avoiding getting hit for so long. Even saw one guy 1-hit kill him, at a low level. Everyone makes it look so easy.
      Last edited by Sketcz; 29-04-2012, 16:40.

Comment

Chaos weapons remove any kind of stat boost except for humanity, IIRC the Black Knight Sword is C/C/-/- and if you built your character around strenght only it's highly probable that the BKS will do more damage in any situation...plus Gwyn is resistant to fire.

One way to do Gwyn is with a medium shield and a weapon with an high critical rate and the Hornet Ring: parry and stab for a few times.

Ther first time I beat him with a stable shield with heavy fire resistance (IIRC Havel's Shield with Havel's Ring or I wouldn't move) and luring Gwin into his grab attack and retaliate when he staggers. It was a long process and you can use the pillars to your advantage when your health is low, but never stay too far from him or he'll just sprint at you for his slash+combo thing that does a lot of damage.
        Note that some fire damage will pass if you don't use a good shield/armour combo (IIRC the Black Knight Shield is the shield with the highest fire resistance).

Comment

Havel Armour, Iron Flesh, Grass Shield (Stamina Regen) worn on back, Baby face helmet (Stamina Regen), Defence ring, Fire defence ring, Black Knight sword +5 two handed.

Didn't care about being slow as I tanked him to death with 2 handed hits. Had to do some very quick switching to recast iron flesh and heal it took about 3 go to perfect. Basically finished casting iron flesh as soon as his first jump hit landed which maximised my 2 handed slashing time. Regen enabled me to get many hits in before iron flesh ran out.

Comment

I read somewhere that Solaire can be summoned outside the boss room, so I did that. Let him draw the attention. Even with the BK Shield he'd drain a ton of stamina when blocking.

Well, finished it in 80 hours. Took longer than Demon's Souls. Concluded it's great, but not the 10/10 of Demon's. The story and setting are weaker, and the overworld map was just annoying in the end. Got really sick of warping to some remote bonfire and then running for 10 minutes to get to where I needed to get. Also, the online is more complex than before. There's like 6 different stones I need to juggle to do what I needed one or two stones for previously.

Comment

Not played demon souls or dark souls despite it looking up my street. I understand the online functionality is a part of it but is it still well populated on the 360? Is it even still playable offline?

Comment

I completed it offline. My net connection sucks and many people say that you just get invaded by people who have cheated to get higher level equipment when you go online.

Only problem might be things like joining the Sunlight Covenant, which requires a massive Faith stat if you've not been playing online.

Comment

The Warrior of the Sunlight Covenant's Faith requirement has been cut in half in the last patch, it's perfectly doable offline by grinding in the second run in Darkroot Forest, near the gate of Astoria.

Comment

Ace, my faith is 21, so that's great to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                      I completed it offline. My net connection sucks and many people say that you just get invaded by people who have cheated to get higher level equipment when you go online.

Only problem might be things like joining the Sunlight Covenant, which requires a massive Faith stat if you've not been playing online.
                      I'm on my sixth playthrough and I wouldn't say I've been invaded anymore than fair share, 90% of my invasions have been in and around the Garden at which point you're pretty much asking for it if you take the shortcut. May just be lucky though.

Also, you can only be invaded while human and in an area where the boss hasn't been beaten so if you're smart with it you can avoid alot of grief.

Been doing an SL1 run and it's quite funny helping other players on the run to Taurus and blatting any cheeky invaders with a Reinforced Lightning Club

Hoyteamx, it's definitely still well enough populated on 360 and I wouldn't let the PVP stuff put you off. It's more than worth being online for

Last edited by Riskbreaker; 30-04-2012, 18:44.

Comment

Umbasa.

Comment

Originally posted by Riskbreaker View Post
                          I'm on my sixth playthrough and I wouldn't say I've been invaded anymore than fair share, 90% of my invasions have been in and around the Garden at which point you're pretty much asking for it if you take the shortcut. May just be lucky though.

Also, you can only be invaded while human and in an area where the boss hasn't been beaten so if you're smart with it you can avoid alot of grief.

Been doing an SL1 run and it's quite funny helping other players on the run to Taurus and blatting any cheeky invaders with a Reinforced Lightning Club

Hoyteamx, it's definitely still well enough populated on 360 and I wouldn't let the PVP stuff put you off. It's more than worth being online for

Yeah, I`m gonna pick this up thanks. I hope it stops me whining games these days only have you follow the arrow and present no challenge!

Comment

If you haven't played either game, it will definitely stop you whining

Comment

The PC version of this is out now on Steam.

The plus side is an obvious point - It's Dark Souls on PC!

The negative side, is that it's very obvious that From Software have almost no PC development knowledge. I know they previously acknowledged this when it was in development so I knew not to expect the world, but it still hits you how poor the conversion is.

The framebuffer is exactly the same as the Xbox 360 version, regardless of the display resolution you set. Higher resolutions look like someone's smeared vaseline over the screen from where it's just upscaling everything. You're much better off playing it windowed and at the framebuffer native resolution to get it looking crisp and nice.

It's also assuming you have an Xbox 360 controller plugged in. ALL of the on-screen command prompts, apart from the initial controller setup, are referencing Xbox 360 prompts. A button, B button, etc.

Don't even think about playing with a mouse either. It's shockingly bad. Really, REALLY bad.

Thankfully, with a little bit of practice and familiarisation, the keyboard controls are good. They're not excellent, but they work and the game is playable with them. Game was designed to be played with a 360 pad though...

Negatives aside, it's Dark Souls on PC. The game's the same, it's just as fun, and you've got a new matchmaking system and all new content to be playing with, so it's still worth a purchase as long as you're prepared for certain substandard things.

Comment

There a fan mod, but its WIP and use it as your own risk, but it does fix the framerate issues, find it here http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=92
                                Last edited by MisterBubbles; 24-08-2012, 17:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X