Manhunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ady
    I know I shouldn't judge beforehand, but tbh this looks like some cheap, attention-grabbing nonsense, the likes of which already gives our hobby a bad name. No doubt it will get the attention and column inches it was made for.

I have no problem with visceral, gritty games, except when its used as a gimmick.

Rockstar obviously wants to be knowwn as an edgy, dangerous and slightly controversial company. With this one, lets just hope the substance matches the um... style.
    From the looks of things, it's got plenty of stealth gameplay with violence as a gimmick - instead of a swift chop to the neck that renders the victim unconcious, it's a plastic bag over the head and a meat cleaver to the throat.

Note that I didn't say whether this is good or not. I'll let you know tonight once I get my copy home and play it with the headset.

Comment

Well, that was quick.

First impressions?

Cock.

Needless to say, I'll have to go back to the shop tomorrow - it looks someone gave me a disc, but forgot to include the gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by martTM
        Well, that was quick.

First impressions?

Cock.

Needless to say, I'll have to go back to the shop tomorrow - it looks someone gave me a disc, but forgot to include the gameplay.
        Yes, Scottie finally got those pessimism engines back online! Thank god, I thought the optimism levels would rise into the danger level and I might purchase this.

Just kidding

Comment

Well, that was quick.

First impressions?

Cock.
          We, er, need more.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
            Well, that was quick.

First impressions?

Cock.
            We, er, need more.
            Er... big dog cock? No, wait - rhino cock. That's definitely more, unless you're a very accomodating person.

I will play it more tonight when I go home, but for now I'm convinced there's no gameplay. Here's the deal - grab floating glowing weapon (just like in GTA - the colour denotes the power and usage of it, with blue being one use, green weak but reusable and red full-on crack skull power), wait in shadows for man with no peripheral vision to walk past, sneak up behind him while holding down X (or even Square, if you're the alternative type) to 'power up' your kill... and then watch a cut-scene of him dying. Woo. Or alternatively, accidentally alert him that you're there and then have a slugmatch with him by randomly pressing X AND Square in an alternate fashion. Repeat until all men in area are dead, then go through the door that has magically been opened and repeat. Good god.

Like I said though, I'll play further into it tonight AND I'll use the headset. However, I wouldn't hold your breath for my feelings to change... unless there's something I'm missing and the gameplay's actually hidden under the manual in the box.

Comment

I have to say the video review on IGN didn't make it look too fun, he was constantly doing the same thing, the complete opposite to GTA which offers plenty to do. All he kept going on about was how violent and edgy it was.

When you lock on to someone the curser changes colour depending on how close you are to them and each colour represents a different level of violence, so if it's gone red then your character will stab them in the chest multiple times and suffocate them with a bag for instance. Looks like it's more about shallow thrills than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Max M
                When you lock on to someone the curser changes colour depending on how close you are to them and each colour represents a different level of violence, so if it's gone red then your character will stab them in the chest multiple times and suffocate them with a bag for instance.
                Not quite - the lock-on cursor indicates their health (green for good, amber for danger and so on). When you get close enough, Cash's arm raises and the cursor goes white - THAT'S when you hold down the button to execute a kill, which makes the marker go from white to yellow to red. When you let go, the 'kill' (read: cut-scene that you have no control over) happens before it switches back to you in command. Now that's what I call interactive gameplay.

Comment

Got my copy today

So far I'm only two levels in, but it does seem to be a good solid stealth em up ( whether this gets repetative or not is yet to be seen )

I've been left with the impression that the grusome kills have been over hyped

While I'm not that far in, the animations for stabbing people with shards of glass and suffocating them with bags aren't what we've all been led to believe

Half the time you can't see a clear picture of whats going on ( or maybe thats just my ****ty eyesight )

There are some neat tricks mind, including being able to hide around corners / behind scenery and without revealling yourself smash someone in the face as they draw near

Pros :-

Pretty good so far ( but that might be the `new game novelty` factor I get )

Very moody and atmospheric - Cash's heart beat when the camera is in close on him is a nice touch

Typical GTA moments where NPC's make little comments and quips

Nice use of Dolby Pro Logic II

Brian Cox doing a good job as the blood thirsty Director

Nice use of camera work makes it look like the snuff films its supposed to represent ( um, is that a plus point )

Cons :-

Controls a little fiddly

Might get a bit repetative as time goes on ( though there does seem to be a large range of weapons which should vary it a little )

Overall if you were someone who wasn't looking forward to this, chances are you'll hate it with a supreme passion.

Comment

I'm with martTM. It's cock.

Comment

Got my copy. Aint touching it till i train up my player in Top Spin. Got a tournament starting soon

Comment

Woo...sounds like it's as good as everyone thought. I'll be sure to buy a copy tomorrow

It sounds like absolute crap. How anyone can even call this a game, never mind a good one, is beyond me

Comment

The best thing to do is to check gamefaqs, the true pulse of the gaming community...

Its a Hit!!!

The lemmings have bought the hype...

Comment

Sure the premise is a tasteless and lowbrow one, but I'm not going to start spouting off about what a waste of a DVD this is until I've had a chance to, y'know, actually play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                              Originally posted by Prine
                              Originally posted by Ady
                              the likes of which already gives our hobby a bad name.
                              Never knew people took gaming this seriously.
                              The media do. And they'll be the first to kick up a stink about the game's content come the first sniff of a copycat act.
                              As if that's going to happen. After all, it is really really hard to get your hands on the weapons in real life.

I mean, where are you going to find a plastic bag eh?

Comment

Not many people have came into the shop asking about it, the one name thats been on everyones lips ps2 wise has been tony hawk underground, reckon it will overshadow Manhunt this week as for next week, new medal of honur will probly cast it aside a bit more, will see over the weekend!About the only thing i liked about it was the use of the socom headset for director comments in your earpiece, creepy other than that i think there is better games out this week to spend your cash on!

Comment

Working...
                                X