Lollipop Chainsaw review (360/PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lollipop Chainsaw review (360/PS3)

Been playing all of last night only the last final level to go & so far i have done nothing but laughed all the way through it, not once does it take itself seriously. I have found as you buy new moves that you can have more finesse when offing zombies making for some varied fighting, all the talk of it been a boring button masher with no skill reminds me of viewtiful joe. Both games you can set up the enemies to be stunned before you finish them off, sparkle hunting becomes pretty addictive as you herd a group of zombies together to see how many you can off at once so it;s skillful if you want it to be. Sure you can just blast through with pretty much one move but it would be boring if you did.

So many random standout highlights but one that i found just weird but the music fit so well was,

when you find yourself driving a combine harvester & it starts playing you spin me right round

. The soundtrack is great, the bosses each have their own feel, my fave been the "retro" boss.

Fully maxed out the stats on my death dealing cheerleader, now getting the rest of the moves. I havent even started getting the rest of the collectables yet so plenty more to go. Definately had 29.99's worth of fun out of it so far.

Bloody hell that's quick! You make it sound like Shadows of the Damned. Clocked it in a single day and found there was absolutely no reason to play any more. Utter waste of ?40 that was.

I'm disappointed with Grasshopper. Their older games like Killer 7, Michigan and No More Heroes 1&2 took much, MUCH longer to complete, and there was often an incentive to go back and replay.

Comment

Had a very quick blast last night.

I was tired, and I've not played nearly enough to make a definite call, but so far I'd say it's a stinker.

It's giving off the vibe of those PS2 hack and slash oddities that 505 games released, only with better writing I'd guess. Plain and lazy level layouts with cars and buses boxing off levels. Combat seems mindless and very clunky, and the half-second transition between pom-pom and chainsaw attacks really knackers any potential for building your own combos. Zombies are tanks (on hard at least), and it's tough to distinguish their attacks from plain ol' zombie flailing.

I dunno, I obviously need to play more, but it's certainly not the refreshing game I was expecting. It just feels rough, rushed, and the wrong kind of stupid. I'm even finding the Suda quirks slightly annoying, Killer 7's brand of strange was just genius in comparison.

Comment

Just beaten the first 2 stages, plays very much like NMH on PS3. Getting more fun as I buy more combos, enjoying it quite a bit at the moment.

I'll save the rest for after work tomorrow. :3

Comment

just beat the stage 1 boss...its brains off fun with about as much depth as a puddle. combat is pretty imprecise too, not quite button mashing but miles from bayonetta!

only 2 real gripes are the nick character constantly droning on and the nick tickets being on left stick click...i always use them by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
            just beat the stage 1 boss...its brains off fun with about as much depth as a puddle. combat is pretty imprecise too, not quite button mashing but miles from bayonetta!

only 2 real gripes are the nick character constantly droning on and the nick tickets being on left stick click...i always use them by accident.
            Just press circle/B button to cancel the Nick Ticket don't have to use them

Comment

I think the combat has a bit of depth, I compared it to DMC when talking with Shozuki. But you're right, Bayonetta is miles better. That's to be expected though really. There's seems to be lots more combos to buy though so I expect some more stuff.

The pinup and goth outfits I got with my Amazon order are pretty nice too I must say..

Comment

Quite enjoying it so far. It's like a japanese send up of Buffy the Vampire slayer crossed with Scott Pilgrim.

I'm not impressed with the save system though, I got to the last boss after about an hour of playing and he killed me, only to die and I my wrists needed a (rest from all the button bashing) so I quit.

No checkpoints of any sort. I need to do the entire high school again.

Comment

What difficulty you playing it on Boris? theres checkpoints & they are not too far apart. If you die on the very last boss your checkpoint is meant to be the last bit of the chainsaw dash run.

Comment

Got this last Wednesday, finished it last night after 2 evening sessions.

Throughly enjoyed every second of it. Certainly the best game I've played this year!

Like most GHM games it is a bit rough around the edges but that gives the game a certain charm and Suda has thrown so many different ideas at this that it is hard to get bored.

The best thing about the game is most certainly it's sense of humour. I lost track of the number of times I laughed while playing it.

THe combat is certainly not button-bashy once you get some more of the combos. The trick is to make as many zombies as possible groggy in order to get big Sparkle Hunting totals. I was amazed when I managed to get the 7 last night.

Comment

I got the 7 achievement on stage 1.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        I got the 7 achievement on stage 1.
                        Me too. On my second playthrough. Was quite chuffed!

Also, the music. A great balance of licensed and original choons.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          What difficulty you playing it on Boris? theres checkpoints & they are not too far apart. If you die on the very last boss your checkpoint is meant to be the last bit of the chainsaw dash run.
                          I never got given an option, but I've got a feeling my gamertag is set to put all games on hard.

I've been caught out by that before, I'll check in a bit.

Comment

Got this on Friday, thanks to Blockbusters ?30 pre-order deal, traded Dragons Dogma and paid ?5. Well worth it, hilarious, if a little bit simple fun. Love how it doesn't take itself too seriously

like how she saves the boyfriend by chopping his head off

, and the voice acting is nowhere near as horrendous as I was expecting, some of it's quite good. It's just mindless fun and all the more refreshing for it.

Comment

Is the combat of similar depth to NMH then? Will likely pick this up when I've finished Binary Domain.

Comment

Working...
                              X