Resident Evil 6 [XBox 360, PS3] - review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil 6 [XBox 360, PS3] - review

Currently only about the demo, but seems better to have one general thread, instead of making another one when the game ships, as the comments will still be relevant.

So a new demo is up, different from the one the came with Dragons Dogma. Much meatier, but to me, it only worsened the already poor impression I had of the game.

Major annoyances:
    -Constant waypoints/instructions where to go: "The door is locked, what do I do?" "The key is in the room to the left, go get it!" Part of the fun in the old games was figuring out where to go and how to get there, none of this here.
    -100% linear: You move from room to room, where all other exits are blocked of by everything from card board boxes to office desks. You are simply following the path, with no way of affecting the direction.
    -Everything is now scripted: Everything scary or moody is in the game is carefully acted out by the game. If it wants to establish a somber mood, it restricts the speed the player can move for a while. If discovering a new zombie is supposed to scare, it starts a small cut-scene where the camera zooms in on the zombie. If it wants to build tension, it traps the player in locked room with zombies while waiting for the door to unlock (upon which a cut-scene makes the characters run through the door without letting the players decide when and if they want to go through it). There is no chance to simply experience the environments, the game keeps the interactivity to a bare minimum.
    -The AI sidekick: I lined up a perfect headshot on one of the zombies. Right before I pulled the trigger Helena started shooting it in the stomach, ruining the entire shot. This happened all the time through the demo. Sometimes she would start kicking them or running in front of my sight. Can I play the game myself please?
    -The camera: It's way too tight, making it hard to get a good overview of the situation. There's ammo and other items lying on the ground, but most of it I only discovered when the HUD told me I was standing on top of it.
    -The pacing: It never lets you breathe. Every 20 seconds there is either a cut-scene or set-piece happening. This game seems to try it's hardest not to let players be bored for A SINGLE SECOND.

Minor annoyances:
    -The controls: I walked through a door with my gun drawn, suddenly I was glued to the frame of the door, looking the opposite way of what I wanted. The aiming button is also used to stick to cover, so whenever you have your gun drawn, you must be careful not to go near walls.
    -The dialogue: It's too hammy. And not in a funny over-the-top kind of way like the first game. This game takes itself way too seriously, trying to make every spoken line seem like the coolest and most important phrase in the world.
    -The movement: Controlling the characters feel much clunkier than one would expect from a game today. I was constantly brushing up against - or even crashing into - the scenery; be it tables, walls, couches. It was hard to run in a smooth line, as the character would constantly make small adjustments to his trajectory.
    -The unfocused combat system: Am I supposed to shoot the zombies, or kick them to death? Or should I maybe use the insta-hit method by hitting RT and LT at the same time? I don't really know. Shooting can be fun, but seems meaningless when I can simply wrestle them to death. And it's feels really jarring to pull of all of these crazy moves in what's supposed to be a moody horror game.

What I liked:
    -The gunplay: The aiming has a nice flow to it, making the gun feel weighty yet accurate. Shooting zombies is quite fun whenever you're given the chance to actually do so.
    -The graphics: The game looks good enough.

I might still end up buying it, as it has the words "Resident" and "Evil" in the title, but it looks to be the most underwhelming of them all so far.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Had a bash at both the ps3 and 360 versions of this new demo.
    It plays well but it seems to be excessively dark. 360 version doesn't tear of badly as resident evil five did.
    One major annoyance was the stupid quick time type of event in the police car to find the keys and to move it. I do hope there are not lots of these in the full game.

Comment

This is unmistakenly a bad game. But one I will buy because its a numbered RE and I might end up enjoying Mercs as usual.

Enemies are hard to see, AI is bad... Gunplay is weak, it doesn't seem to matter where I shoot. Something that has a certain influence on Melee, because kicking seems to be stupid. It can be done at any time and sometimes it hits but other times it don't and sometimes it does a finish move?

Flow of the game is scripted to the max, I mean, god damn! This is likely even worse than the Battlefield 3 campaign. Zombies are lying around, you're tripping over them... but you can't do **** with them until the game dictates that they all get up (yawn).

I utterly hate RE5, so I do prefer RE6 so far. The main reason is because the Chris section, as ropey the camera was, plays like a good version of RE5. For this one reason that it has actual TPS controls. But its a game with likely even less of an identity than RE5 had.
      Last edited by saturn-gamer; 18-09-2012, 19:15.

Comment

Was thinking of pre ordering this until I played the demo earlier. God whats happened to Resi. All of Alexes complaints apply to my play through. I actually dont like the graphics much though to add to those complaints.
        I was continually running out of ammo when on Chris Redfields mission. If Capcom want to turn it into a straight up shooter (army squad and APC FFS) then hand out the ammo like its a shooter, not survival horror. I spent half the level randomly hitting attack up close to punch the enemies.
        Its now clear Resi 4 was the pinacle of this series. Thank god for the 3DS game earlier this year. At least that kept a bit of the spirit of the original games.

Comment

The graphics are ****. I don't like anything thats visible in close-up in this game. Characters and enemies included.

Comment

Played this demo earlier.

What utter ****.

Everything that's wrong with modern gaming in one game. What was one of the great gaming series has now become a joke. A terrible mish mash of ideas thrown at a wall to see what sticks. In trying to please everybody, its done three styles badly, rather than one well.

An abomination of a game judging by that demo. Although I'm glad it came out, because now I've cancelled
            My preorder and am glad to say I haven't supported this tripe.

It's a shame, because you just know it'll sell well anyway. I'm a massive fan of old school Resi, but starting Chris's campaign and thinking I was playing Call of Duty... I knew it was all over.

Comment

I knew this game was doomed before even starting Chris's level. The rookie asking about Chris after his pep talk "Is he always this awsome?"
              The partner in the game shook his head, reading his thoughts I imagined him saying "he hasnt been the same since the Racoon City incident"
              Same as Resi really
              Last edited by davek22; 18-09-2012, 20:11.

Comment

Sounds like a disaster, Capcom are a mere shadow of the company they used to be. Thought I would try the demo myself to see how bad it was, but apparently I need a Gold membership on Live? Do one Microsoft!

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                  Sounds like a disaster, Capcom are a mere shadow of the company they used to be. Thought I would try the demo myself to see how bad it was, but apparently I need a Gold membership on Live? Do one Microsoft!
                  Save your money, mate. Believe everyone here when they say it isn't a great demo!

Comment

How can Capcom ruin what was one of the best gaming series ever,I'd rather Capcom had left it on a high with resident evil 4 than turn out ****e like this

Comment

When is it on PSN? It is it one of those dragons dogma incentives things

Comment

Well, on one hand I totally agree with everything said in this thread, the game has so many fundamental flaws it should be binned from the outset.

However, I had an absolute blast playing it. Above all the flaws it had one huge thing that Resi 5, Gear of War, Halo and Call of Duty don't have, it's FUN!
                        Doesn't take itself seriously, completely tongue in cheek from the get go and lots of crazy popping enemies. The hand guns are meaty, the blood splatting is plentiful and the melee attacks are hilarious.

The demo clearly isn't a good game but it is so much more fun than many other recent examples that I loved it.

Comment

Yeah, I gave this a shot tonight after not reading anything at all about the game. I'm not liking it at all really, in fact I found it pretty boring. Graphics are bordering on okish, I hated all the shooting action, I dunno if it is just me but I have a hard time aiming and seeing what the hell is going on half the time.

I don't want to slag it off too much as I initially hated Resident Evil 5, but thought it was pretty good in the end, especially with the downloadable content.

To be honest, all I want to do in Resident Evil games is explore some scary locations and kill normal zombies, not these mutant thingies. I loved the ship setting in Resident Evil Revelations!

Comment

The atmosphere is non-existent and the game-play boring as it ever could be. The new dash mechanic fun for about 10 secs but completely useless for the areas and how it seems you are about 6ft from the furthest enemy you are trying to kill.

Comment

The worst thing is if you switch off hints so there are no way point markers it also removes the HUD.

Since when has seeing your ammo count or health been a "hint"?

Comment

Working...
                              X