Borderlands 2 [PS3/360/PC] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borderlands 2 [PS3/360/PC] review

Well it's back with a gazillion more weapons than you can shake a gazillion sticks at. And they still feel like they do nothing when you empty mag after mag into an enemy. It's fun, it has charm. It has me trying again after Flynt kills me again for the 12th time.

I guess it's more of the same. If you liked the first you won't go wrong. I do prefer the icy look to the sandy one in all fairness.

Not really much to say...
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Have you been playing mostly offline? The reviews I've read so far seem to indicated that on single player you to tend to run out of ammo and have to back track a long way to ammo vending machines, during which time the enemies have respawned. How are you finding it?

Comment

I am on SP and do run out of ammo for some weapons but then just switch to something else until I've restocked. I've not had to backtrack to do that. The gold weapons that you get from Gearbox are pretty sweet, I've spent most my time with the sniper rifle.

In addition to the skillpoints you get, you also earn Badass Tokens which can be used for permanent upgrades to rate of fire, etc. Very handy those.

Comment

Good to know, Assuming the gold weapons are pre order bonuses I've missed the boat on that as I'll be buying from HMV tomorrow (or tonight if they stock the shelves early enough).

Comment

Pre-ordered on steam so the game was broken on arrival in that the first "boss" encounter was a walk in the park because I think I was expected to take him on with a pistol but instead I had 2 machines guns and more ammo than I could burn through. With that one negative out the way this looks and plays fab. Such awesome graphics. Was concerned it would exceed the limits of my 6870 but 1080p @ 60fps on max settings once again. Sadly my BB is too slow to co-op I imagine.

Comment

I was halfway to ordering it over PSN and staying up until midnight for it to unlock, but at ?49.99 for a digital copy I have changed my mind! I'll be picking this up today and having a crack at it tonight. No preorder gun bonuses though so I think I'll be taking the boss on as intended with just a pistol

Comment

Best instruction booklet quotes ever:

(on aiming) "Your targeting reticle shows where you're pointing your gun. Keeping this over things you want dead and then repeatedly pressing R1 is how you win the game."

(on mini-map): "The yellow arrow is you, the N points north, and the diamond thing is where you need to go. Oh, and the red things are bad guys. Kill those."

Last edited by Golgo; 21-09-2012, 09:04.

Comment

bit of a struggle getting used to the new menu systems though but will soon adapt graphics seem more cartoony though alot of objects look like they have almost no textures to them for some reason (i know there was a issue with this and the previous game when it loads up a area textures load in to but here looks like there is no textures at all on some items)

Do seem to run out of ammo pretty quickly and there is A LOT of going from one area to another (really really wish for a once of teleport back to home base option)

on the whole i do like it more then original but does have a few things that bug me

Comment

I just cannot put this game down, i did not really get on with the first one so was not really bothered about this up until a few weeks ago. It looks just amazing im playing the Xbox version and it really is fantastic, the art style is gorgeous. The only few downsides are the tiny inventory, i love loot hunting but the fact you can only carry 12 items is a little frustrating at times and quite restrictive. The other issue is like Eastyy said, it would have been really handy if you could teleport back to base as you do tend to go far from base on missions. But apart from that so far its probably one of the few games this year that i cant put down, im hard to please these days

Comment

Well just started and had a session with the PS3 gang, me, Golgo ( Dog) & davek22 (wookie), seems a lot harder than the first game but just as fun. Just got my first sniper rifle as im playing assassin as my class, lets shoot everything that moves.
                    Last edited by MisterBubbles; 21-09-2012, 12:13.

Comment

Never played 1st game so I have no basis of comparison, but I think this is terrific. Looks and sounds great, funny writing and acting. I also like the limited inventory as it forces you to prioritize rather than just hoover up everything. I like how you can compare stats on stuff before you even pick it off the ground. Coop was a riot. I'd advise starting with 2 profiles though and keep one for leisurely SP to work through the story. I wasn't quite expecting after jumping into Mr Bubbles campaign, who was a bit further along than me, that the quests we completed would then sync with my own SP campaign and be locked-out there as completed. The 4 player coop was such enjoyable mayhem I couldn't tell you what those quests were about! So yeah, I'm going to start another character. Siren class is great, btw.

Comment

I am a gunzerker and dont really read menus so went after Flint at level 2 instead of the 5 it turns out would have made it easier!
                        Flint himself was easy as I died and when I respawned he couldnt get me

Need to head back and do the easier missions I foolishly ignored now...and get some co-op going!

Comment

think its very very funny game they have done a lot better with the characters (though has some of the voice actors changed? ) getting further and enjoying it more and more i know a lot of reviews complained about the car controls but i have never had any problems with it

as MisterBubbles said i think its a harder game to but after grinding a bit for EXP and loot soon becomes easier

Comment

Arrived today from Sainsbury per-order. Well impressed
                            I managed about an hour before I had to go out. It plays great but it is lacking a bit of atmosphere at this early stage.
                            I'm sure it will pick up. As others have mentioned ammo is scarce. I picked up an orange rarity gun which goes through ammo when zoomed like nothing.

Comment

Ignore my earlier remarks about interplay of solo and coop mission progress. I was talking ****e. Apparently progress is synced only when you're already on same suite of missions in sp. If you're behind in sp then missions done in sp remain locked in your sp campaign, altho you get message offering to skip when you get to them again, saying "you've already completed..." It seems I accidentally hit skip.

Comment

Working...
                              X