Prince Of Persia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newmiyamoto
    one feature that should have been added to the main game is the ability to play any area once you have finished the game.
    The game does give you 42 save slots per player, which is exactly enough for every save point. If you save your game in a new slot every time (which the game defaults to if I remember correctly) the you can go back to any area .

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
      Originally posted by newmiyamoto
      one feature that should have been added to the main game is the ability to play any area once you have finished the game.
      The game does give you 42 save slots per player, which is exactly enough for every save point. If you save your game in a new slot every time (which the game defaults to if I remember correctly) the you can go back to any area .
      THIS qualify's for tip OF THE DAY!!

thanks.

Comment

What an amazing game. I finished it last night and loved every minute of it. Incredibly entrancing from beginning to end and a totally addictive experience.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the sequel.

Comment

Does the original PoP unlock when you beat the game btw? Cos I've done it and it's not appeared...
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

It does on the XBox version, but in the XBox version POP2 is hidden within the game. I think POP1 is hidden in the PS2 and GC versions.

Which version are you playing?

Comment

Mayhem - I don't know what version you have, but on the Gamecube version after you get the sword that breaks walls, travel through the cavern and you'll reach a lever to open the door, north of the lever is a wall (which looks like a standrad wall), you need to break this wall to unlock POP1.

Comment

Well i finished this on the weekend, and it's a quality game for me.

Puzzling & jumping, as noted, are top rate.

The controversial bit is apparently the combat. I think you got what you were prepared to put in. I can accept teleporting and respawning as such, the range of moves and application to the terrain (as outlined by Concept) can be used to make wonderful little bits on cinema. If you choose to dispatch enemies stylishly, what do you know? Combat is stylish. The classifyer on this statement is yes, when you just want another bout of jumping and a combat breaks that flow it just seems like a button mashing exercise.

*possible spoliers*

I think combat could have been improved by:
                - making all the enemies to fight in a room appear at once. That would cut down the appearance of infinite respawning, and makes a bit more sense as all the local sand beasties have found you and come to give you some.
                - dont invisibly teleport, but rather have them turn into sand vortexes or something, move really fast, but at least you could see where they were coming from/going to.
                - adjust finding swords. If you kept the combat as is, finding the one hit sword earlier could have made the final runs seem more enjoyable, as you would have the advantage again, and thus let you experiment and play. Getting it so late meant basically invalidated the sense of achievment.
                - flesh and blood enemies. If some soldiers were say zombified instead of all being turned into sand beasts it woulf have allowed a different feel to combat, again you could have different swords give different powers against each. Fighting the humans at the start of the game is remarkably different as they hit less hard, and you can try out different moves on them that seem to work on even the basic sand people.
                - and has been mentioned a few more personality fights. Boss or 1-vs-1 against advanced enemies.

Anyway the combat could have been better, i could/can get enjoyment from it, but it seemed a little rushed or poorly playtested. But you want to know just how good PoP's combat really is? I'm playing Buffy: Chaos Bleeds, and i keep thinking "the prince is more agile than this supposedly allpowerful slayer" or "man i'd like some wall-jumping or flipping variety right now". You want average/poor combat? Then try this game for an exercise in button-mashing and fighting a twitchy camera!

PoP is a top game overall though!

Comment

Ah, guess I will need to replay the game then (I've got the Cube version). I missed the lever to unlock it. I thought I'd get it also from completing the game...

Comment

Same here, I was annoyed too. Thought I'd get it after beating it. The above is a cheat to unlock the thing. Go ahead, you've earned it to be honest.

Comment

I'm sick of games with so many bugs in them, first Vice City on the xbox and now POP. I had just powered up my dagger and I pressed the right shoulder button, suddenly I vanished! Even after I restarted the game, my shadow was a square! Messed up big time.

Comment

Apart from my brother encountering the pit/save point bug, and the game crashing once, nothing else to report my end glitch wise...

Comment

Well I had the game for nearly a week, and really enjoyed it first of all. Really amazing controls, visuals and generally enjoyable.

However, Ive reached around 85%, and by now the game has completely lost all of its charms. The combat is simply the worst I have encountered. The number of enemies you have to fight at once is frankly ridiculous, and is a pathetic way of adding more lifespan to what seems a very short game indeed.
                          The fighting is dull, repetitive and not enjoyable in the slightest.

Not only that, but more often than not, when I die and attempt to rewind time back to before I got hit, the game simply wont let me, even when I have plenty of sand. ****ing unacceptable in my opinion. This dire combat aspect of PoP has made me launch my pad against a wall far too many times.

The exploration in the game is a joy to behold, and the puzzles are of a satisfying difficulty.
                          Howver, the appaling combat has taken what could be a classic game and, IMO of course, made it a stress inducing game that is broken up by horrific combat sections that should have been infinitely better than the pile of **** they are. It seems theyve spent most of the time lovingly creating the environments and puzzles, and bolted on the combat drivel at the end.

A letdown for me.

Comment

Nah, I'm one of the ones who likes the combat in this game. The only exception to that though is when you want to back off, say I'm being surrounded and overwhelmed, well I'll do a retreat, however, with the enemies telleporting right next to you you can't gain any tactical advantage. It does get frustrating, but I think it works well enough.

I've mentioned in another thread though, I think there should have been more ways than one to get from A to B. For me, theres an illusion of on-rail gameplay here.

Comment

I completed this the other night and really enjoyed it, it's a beautiful game with genuine finesse.

Like many others though, my main gripe is the combat. They shouldn't of put zombies in the game and they certainly shouldn't have them respawning. I found it very cheap and very boring, too much of a chore.

Still, over all an excellent game and well worth playing

Comment

As stated in the Beyond Good and Evil thread, I received this today and have played for a few hours. First impressions were slightly disappointing, having mostly been playing Nintendo developed games recently, the fact it lacks that special something it seems only Nintendo can create (with some exceptions of course) it was a bit of a reality wake up.

After a few hours though, the game comes into it?s own and I am enjoying it quite considerably. The most impressive thing for me, aside the wonderfully flowing animations, are the sheer scale and solidness of the environments. Very impressive indeed. It reminds me a little of the solid-feel within the environments of Eternal Darkness, only surprisingly better. There are many little touches like the wind blowing leaves, dust particles floating around and pieces of brick and water dropping from the ceiling that are equally as impressive.

Negative points? not many really. As a whole, it lacks that ?special polish I have come to expect from my games, but apart from that there isn?t a great deal to complain about. Which is good.

The combat has the potential to be frustrating and tedious, however I feel you get as much as you put in to it. If you try to put some strategy and variation into your actions, you get a far greater sense of enjoyment from doing so. However it isn?t anywhere near as fun as the battle in, excuse me for saying, Wind Waker. Although it may not have all those flashy moves and effects, it feels a hell of a lot more polished, more fun, and generally just better. Battling multiple enemies in Wind Waker is a joy, whereas in Prince of Persia it has the potential to be overly tedious?

Anyhoo, that?s enough comparisons from me tonight. Heh. Within its own merits, an enjoyable experience thus far and a game I look forward to playing more, and then re-playing. Good stuff all round.
                                ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Working...
                                X