Prince Of Persia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yeah, that brings back bad memories

The best bit was the prison when you had to keep wall running and jumping the entire way down. Shame this kind of pace wasn't used elsewhere, as it was a real rush.

Comment

Yep, that's the bit -

Originally posted by spoiler
      I just killed the birds quickly, leaving me free to muse on the puzzle

Comment

Charlie Angel -

Yeah, I remember that puzzle. In fact the best set pieces in Prince Of Persia were when you often got set against the clock, and had to move from A to B within a time limit, say before a door closed

Personally, a couple of standout moments for me were:

1) A puzzle where you had to keep realigning the planets and poles to get over to another area. Excellent use of space...

2) An earlier set piece where you had switch the castle's trap system back on and move 4 circular plugs and fit them in their sockets.

3) And towards the end, when the princess disappears and you're trapped in a circular room. I like how the game gradually becomes more surreal after that, because it raises questions if the prince ever wakes up or not...

Basically there are a load of great moments in The Sands Of Time.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie angel
          I've just been thinking about my favourite moments from the game, & there's 1 puzzle that really stands out for me - about 50%ish through -

Where you're balancing on the tops of thin walls, jumping from one to the next - you raise a huge gate, then have to get all the way back round the scenery in order to wall run across the falling gate to proceed.
          I'm sure I haven't explained that very well, but that's definitely a classic moment for me
          lol, I think that was the only bit of the game that I didn't like

Everything else, IMO, is almost flawless in terms of structure, layout, complexity of puzzles.

There's just something special about walking into a room, seeing the exit and a load of platforms, poles, switches etc and just 'knowing' what to do and how to do it. It all just flows so naturally IMO.

It's in my top 10 games of all time...probably in my top 3

Comment

Yeah what was up with
            Originally posted by MAJOR spoiler
            the bit just you get it on, in the surreal section, with the warping of the Prince. That was trial and error ya? You had to remember things. Which was annoying. You weren't even sure of the problem initially
            That bit sucked majorly IMO.

Comment

You mean the bit where he went through doors and popped out in other ones? You could tell which door to go through by the sound of water trickling when you got close

Comment

Crispin -

I can see how it could be annoying.

But it wasn't trial and error though for me. I was confused at first, but if you listen carefully you'll notice you get audio clues as to which door to go into...

The thing I liked was how that section led into the later parts. Because there was always doubt if what happened after that point was 'real' (within the game's previously contructed reality), or not.

Certainly, the climb up the tower at the end seemed to be drenched with vibrant colours more lucid than in previous sections...

Comment

You're kidding me!!! Oh god, I was playing it late at night so I had to have the speakers off!

Comment

Originally posted by Crispin
                    You're kidding me!!! Oh god, I was playing it late at night so I had to have the speakers off!
                    Hahaha, me too!
                    I had to do it by bloody trial and error.

BTW, finished it last night (or this morning...), all the way through in what was basically one long session, only barely interrupted by an email check and a few bathroom visits.
                    Haven't done that in a while....

Comment

I'd like to put forward the prison platforming section as the best as timing and skill actually mattered there. It then degenerates into a bloody monster-a-thon, but oh well.

Shame there weren't enough bits like that. Oh well.

Comment

Oh yeah, the prison bit was great. The first part where you were climbing up the castle without the dagger was great too. Much more like old-skool PoP. :-P

Speaking of which, has anybody played the hidden PoP 1 level 1? It's in 3d... sorta.

It's kinda terrible.
                        Almost made me cry.

Comment

Ah it wasn't that bad I quite enjoyed it really especially the room at the end of the level.

Just out of interest after you get the sword and you climb up the high wall afterwards is that as far as you can go?

Comment

I've just been playing through the xbox demo, thought it look fantastic.
                            It did suffer from slow down though in quite a few places, is this cleared up in the final release?

Still probably buy it as I have played the demo to death.

Comment

There is slowdown in that demo, but I think it was produced well before the Xbox release in America (notice the 'mature' rating as it loads up). There are also features missing from the final game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) The camera/sound effect signifiers when you sip water to replenish health.

b) The ability to change to a fixed camera angle whilst fighting.

c) The ability to zoom in and out from a fixed camera angle using the right analogue stick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I think the demo was of a build prior to that which went out on release date. It's likely those parts of slowdown will probably have been ironed out.

Even acknowledging this though, I found the Xbox demo certainly felt a lot smoother (in PAL 60 it must be said) than the final PS2 version did, frame-rate wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pump
                                I've just been playing through the xbox demo, thought it look fantastic.
                                It did suffer from slow down though in quite a few places, is this cleared up in the final release?

Still probably buy it as I have played the demo to death.

same as me, i absolutely love the demo and still come back to it even now.

one feature that should have been added to the main game is the ability to play any area once you have finished the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X