No announcement yet.

Wonderful 101 (WiiU) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Bayonetta mixed with VJ, with an additional layer of resource allocation for the fancy attacks. I'm proper bumming it.

I love spamming 360s+X. It's a complete flurry of fists. However the best unity-morph combo is circle+X, line+X (both on the stick) followed with an Lshape+X (drawn on the screen) for the gun burst spin. Only had two hours so far so that's all I sussed out.

I'm having absolutely no issues drawing morphs on the screen, but mixing up the inputs on both the stick AND the screen seems to be the most efficient way to get the inputs all in in the most damage-dealing efficient window.

Comment

Beautiful Pure Platinum run of the demo here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dhrmq1f0Z0 - great stuff; there's quite a lot to learn if you want to score well.

Comment

I have played through this a couple of times and it certainly is not without its faults.

Camera and controls being the main ones however playing on the gamepad has also caused some problems. At one point you go into a building and need to look at the gamepad to navigate to some cogs which you have to rotate to put in a code. doing this only on the gamepad opens a tiny window. The second was where i needed some instruction on how to get over a bridge that was collapsing in 15 seconds. text covered up the bit i needed to see which is a huge oversite.

However after playing for an hour over 2 separate sessions i started to get over these small problems and really started to like it. Certainly will give it a rent

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          It's Bayonetta mixed with VJ,
          Can anyone else verify this rather hefty quote or is he blinded by his bumming glasses?

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
            Can anyone else verify this rather hefty quote or is he blinded by his bumming glasses?
            I would say the general comments suggest the second one but each to there own and that. I personally thought it was ****e but it could be a bad demo but it seems more Dynasty Warriors X Pikmin With a dodgy drawing mechanic than the other two

Comment

Yeah, general comments coming from people who clearly mashed through one sitting rather than spending up to and over an hour in an empty area playing with the mechanics.

Watch the Nintendo Direct. The system is all laid out in broad daylight. The basic attacking and lock-on combat feels like a 3D version of Joe. Your units are 'spent' on Unity Morphs.

This is absolutely NOTHING like Pikmin, with the exception of it featuring 100 multiple allies. To make such claims is purely ignorant. The numbers are spent on diversifying your attacks through multiple unity morphs. The wider your drawing arcs the more potent (and more resource dependent) your attacks are. You can literally churn out a chain of fists by spamming small 360 circles with X, or master a 50-unit sword swipe coupled with a 25-unit fist windmill into a 25-unit all directional gun burst. Making it work is quite poetic, and, once you've done it - you've got it, you're pulling that **** out all the time.

I somehow managed to transform my group into a hang-glider at one point. Not sure how I did that.

Looking at the hero list it seems that each of these guys can be leveled up accordingly. It's not clear what advantages each individual brings to the table thus far.

Perfectly typical that this place is the ONLY place on the internet that doesn't seem to 'get' the game. /golfclap Makes you wonder why companies bother trying anything new, doesn't it?

Comment

Good to see there's more to it than the demo suggests, the games style certainly gives it a very appealing VJ vibe which will be good to chill and enjoy the antics down the line. The poor impressin from the demo though definitely isn't restricted to this forum, seen posts all over the place so I'm guessing this will drop sooner rather than later. Especially as it comes out close to pretty big releases on the other formats. Maybe they'd have been better releasing this last month and Pikmin 3 this month to give this the space given the lack of brand name.

Comment

That's what they are doing in the US, which is why I have to wait bloody three weeks behind everyone else before I can come on here and talk any sense.

Comment

Perhaps it'll be worth a look after all. However, it is still a vastly different game to what I had first imagined. At least this is what the demo suggests.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

That's like saying MH3U is just like a different version of Shenmue. This is nothing like Pikmin, it's a hack'n'slasher'n'shooter'n'smasher'n'etc...

This video seems to do a good job of correcting what everyone has said in this thread so far. It seems pretty deep to me.

couldent agree more this clearly isn't Pikmin this vid shows how to play this with style, the way he takes the tank down by blocking with the wonderful pudding to bounce the projectiles back and destroy the tanks shield and then using the team to pick up the boss to thrown and air combo it looked ace.

In reply to Joe who says the other players aren't needed what are you on about? Watch the Vid above and it clearly shows the inventive ways there used, The way you use the gun to fire your people as bullets, but they end up dazed, or the way the more people you recruit the bigger your weapons, this is just two ways there used im sure the main game will have lots of other inventive ways to use them, cant wait for this to come out, looks new and interesting and I'm loving the art style.

Comment

After watching that video I know what im doing with the rest of my day off!!

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                          It is still a vastly different game to what I had first imagined. At least this is what the demo suggests.
                          I wasn't really expecting anything of this degree either. I kind of knew the allies formed the weapons, but to distribute the numbers across multiple, simultaneous attacks is genius. It opens up tons of scope for carnage.

As this is just a demo we aren't really forced into any corners where these systems MUST be implemented in order to progress, which is why most may think it's simply a masher. I doubt even the full game will be any different when played on normal if tradition is anything to go by, it won't be until Hard mode is unlocked that the game demands finesse.

Just like Bayonetta.

Comment

That's what they are doing in the US, which is why I have to wait bloody three weeks behind everyone else before I can come on here and talk any sense.
                            Don't worry, Dave! I thought you said you'd be playing Metal Gear Rising until next year!

Comment

I definitely will be. I'm stuck on a few of the VR missions and as soon as I put the game down for a week or so it's so hard getting back into the flow of things.

I've never actually finished Bayonetta properly either, despite almost 200 hours clocked on it.

Comment

Yeah, general comments coming from people who clearly mashed through one sitting rather than spending up to and over an hour in an empty area playing with the mechanics.

Watch the Nintendo Direct. The system is all laid out in broad daylight. The basic attacking and lock-on combat feels like a 3D version of Joe. Your units are 'spent' on Unity Morphs.

This is absolutely NOTHING like Pikmin, with the exception of it featuring 100 multiple allies. To make such claims is purely ignorant. The numbers are spent on diversifying your attacks through multiple unity morphs. The wider your drawing arcs the more potent (and more resource dependent) your attacks are. You can literally churn out a chain of fists by spamming small 360 circles with X, or master a 50-unit sword swipe coupled with a 25-unit fist windmill into a 25-unit all directional gun burst. Making it work is quite poetic, and, once you've done it - you've got it, you're pulling that **** out all the time.

I somehow managed to transform my group into a hang-glider at one point. Not sure how I did that.

Looking at the hero list it seems that each of these guys can be leveled up accordingly. It's not clear what advantages each individual brings to the table thus far.

Perfectly typical that this place is the ONLY place on the internet that doesn't seem to 'get' the game. /golfclap Makes you wonder why companies bother trying anything new, doesn't it?
                                Okay. Well my opinion normally aligns with yours on these types of games so I am excited again!

I look forward to playing it in 2014 when I buy my Wii U :P

Comment

Working...
                                X