No announcement yet.

Wonderful 101 (WiiU) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the demo. Didn't have a clue what I was doing most the time (I couldn't even get out that shed you need to pass through ) but whatever it is I was doing I was enjoying myself. It's bright and colourful and cheery and it's crazy, and I love the art style. Looking forward to the full release.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      As this is just a demo we aren't really forced into any corners where these systems MUST be implemented in order to progress, which is why most may think it's simply a masher. I doubt even the full game will be any different when played on normal if tradition is anything to go by, it won't be until Hard mode is unlocked that the game demands finesse.

Just like Bayonetta.
      I agree with this - stylistically it's like VJ; your main character's jump even uses the same somersault that Viewtiful Joe had, so it's at the least a nod - I'm fully expecting a Red Hot 101 move to be unlocked at some point. VJ forced you to learn & use the mechanics early in the game as certain enemies were impossible without it; Bayonetta was a little more lenient - you could mash through a lot of it if you were so inclined, but that was reflected in the score, & that's the crux for me. If you want to achieve decent ranking then it's all in the technique. Lots of fun

Comment

Reviews of the full game have started appearing, embargo must have ended, really detailed review over on Eurogamer for those wanting more info on the game. 8/10 they give it.

Comment

C&vg gave it 7/10 and Nintendo life gave it 9/10
          C&vg said the control system was fiddly and there were times that they didn't know what was going on
          I'm glad I cancelled my pre order as the demo was a joke

Here's the review round up http://www.computerandvideogames.com...view-round-up/
          Last edited by Colin; 19-08-2013, 10:04. Reason: Fixing link.

Comment

6/10 from Edge. Same complaints as c&vg.

Comment

To be honest it's getting the kind of scores I was expecting but the one thing that keeps coming up in every review is the controls. I did find them rather a pain in the demo, not enough to put me off but at the same time hasn't really convinced me to buy, i also found it very confusing at times but that may just be the demo, hopefully the full game will explain things alot better. Im going wait for this to drop in price before I buy.

Comment

People still trust the opinions of game journos?

From these reviews it sounds like they don't know how to play the game.

Comment

I'm still gong to pick it up. Never got round to playing the demo but I've got to give the full game a go.

Comment

I'm undecided. The demo showed that this certainly isn't an easy game, nor is it a simple button-masher (I died 5 times first time through >.>) but then I don't think I really understood what was going on. I also didn't really see why I needed anything other than the sword for half of it. Then again, I certainly didn't pick up half of the mechanics dataDave has pointed out maybe I'll give it anther go later.

Comment

dataDave is secretly Saurian

Comment

From these reviews it sounds like they don't know how to play the game.
                        This, over and over.

Comment

Really, most of what I've been talking about came from watching both the Nintendo Direct and the YouTube video I posted prior to actually playing the demo. It seems people don't have the time to sit down and watch what's being explained so I try to pick our the exciting parts and write about it instead.

I suspect a lot of people expected a Pikmin game from taking everything at face value. Even from the early videos you can see that it's anything but.

Comment

**** reviews or not, I'm getting this. I enjoyed the demo quite a bit and it's not like the Wii U is swimming in a vast sea of software right now.

Comment

Saur has done a system breakdown:

A 39/40 from Famitsu.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 23-08-2013, 04:19.

Comment

A 39/40 from Famitsu.
                                Ho ho!

Joking aside, I quite like how Famitsu reviews because the panel idea means that it's not just one person speaking on behalf of the magazine.

Comment

Working...
                                X