Pok?mon X and Y review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pok?mon X and Y review

A place to discuss the latest Pok?mon titles for the 3DS exclusively.

Pok?mon X and Pok?mon Y. The latest titles from Nintendo set in the brand new Kalos region. The game is a 3DS exclusive.

You are immediately introduced to Augustine Sycamore as you enter this new region and select your gender, one of three general appearances and your name.

Shortly after you are introduced to your friends who participate in your journey and assist you when necessary. There's Calem who you consider to be your rival. Shauna is a girl who isn't so sure of herself but wants to become more confident. Tierno is a weak trainer but a great dancer! His aim is to improve his battle ability and bring it up to the same level as his dancing. Last but not least is Trevor. Another character not so sure of himself in battle but prides himself on his knowledge of Pok?mon and other such related items.

As soon as these above characters have introduced themselves, Tierno gives you the choice of one of three Pok?mon and your Pok?mon journey begins!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Great to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita
      So many subtle things that make this an improvement over B2/W2 are showing already.
      What subtle things? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Comment

You have to be Blue to make polls. I added one for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          What subtle things? Inquiring minds would like to know.
          Right now just crouching to talk to kids and Pok?mon, idle animations, actually crouching down to pick up an item and putting it in your bag, circle pad automatically makes you move with rollerskates - dpad makes you walk etc.

Battles look great and I've even given myself a haircut so far.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          You have to be Blue to make polls. I added one for you.
          Thanks.

Comment

Where did you get the early copy from Speedy?
            Have Game emailed out eShop codes yet does anyone know?
            Thanks,

Comment

The game is beautiful. Really fantastic low poly art and textures. Everything looks smooth and bright.

Comment

I'm liking this game so far but as usual I got utterly swept away by the hype and once again, it's no where near as amazing as i'd built it up to being in my mind.
                the art style in my opinion is kind of weird. I like the pokemon designs a lot as the pixelated outline around the models makes them look very much like the pixel versions of the originals but with amazing animation and more dynamic looking overall. the environments however, look kind of crappy. I get that the system itself obviously demands that you either have shaders on or off and can't mix the two but what you end up with is really pixelated and clumsy looking textures and the whole look of the locales looks pretty bland and uninspiring overall. I think it would have been nicer if they'd gone for a slicker art direction and just ditched the old pixel style for good.

Another thing that I've always found slightly lame about pokemon games is that every single character in the game that you talk to only wants to talk about pokemon. I get that its a pokemon game but you'd think that people would have some other interests but all they do is read about pokemon, watch shows about pokemon, talk about pokemon. take photos of pokemon. how about someone chatting about something else for once? I reckon it would make the world more interesting and diverse.

I am only a few hours in so far so i am still very open minded about the game. after 3 hours, I've caught about 35 pokemon and about an hour of this time was spent super training. I'm not sure how i feel about the super training. it seems a bit weird that you can seemingly make any pokemon into some kind of insanely powerful uberbeast just by spending a load of time shooting balloons in a football stadium. weirdness.
                Last edited by boxhead; 11-10-2013, 09:15.

Comment

Game have broken the release date. Just strolled in store and picked up Y. Happy days.

Comment

Nice. I'm 10 hours in and have just gotten my sixth badge. Hopefully will have finished the main game by tonight, will post thoughts then.

Also I think the environments look great. The themes may not be so original but that doesn't happen much in the RPGs I play.

Comment

You're fast

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                        Game have broken the release date. Just strolled in store and picked up Y. Happy days.
                        Thanks to my local blockbuster shuting down i now have a 30 min drive in any direction to get to a game store that sell this and a 2ds together, tis bull**** and i think you should all stop playing till tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          You're fast
                          I did Japanese Soul Silver on release, all 16 badges. Beat Sapphire the day after I got it at my Uncle's wedding.. And I'm a Pok?mon nut as it is.

But yeah, the Exp Share's properties this time around make it especially easy.

If you didn't know it gives the active Pok?mon 100% experience any EVERY OTHER PARTY MEMBER gets 50% of that experience EACH. Crazy stuff. I'm literally just using my Delphox and have 5 other Pok?mon between levels 46 and 43 - Delphox being 55.
                          Last edited by ItsThere; 11-10-2013, 14:37. Reason: Edited reference to Acekard

Comment

Lol srsly. That's crazy. OP Exp Share.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Nice. I'm 10 hours in and have just gotten my sixth badge. Hopefully will have finished the main game by tonight, will post thoughts then.
                              Wow! Have you been emptying each area of collectable pokemon too or just sprinting to the finish to collect later?

Anyone else confused by the amount of menus this time around?

Comment

Working...
                              X