INFAMOUS SECOND SON review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INFAMOUS SECOND SON review

Well folks it's here and the game engine looks absolutely superb.The lighting is immense and the opening sequence sets you up for what surely is going to be the best evidence of what the PS4 can really do in its infancy
    Only played the the first hour or so but It looks like Sucker Punch has delivered,can't wait for the sound option to appear on the headphone companion to really immerse myself in this awesome world

Good use of the DS4 touch pad throughout the levels
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Well into about 3 Hours of the game so far about 19% complete and loving every minute of it
    Its just amazing running and gliding around Seattle picking up the odd side missions and searching out drug gangs.
    Well impressed with this title

Comment

How are the controls? Does it give a smooth feeling of jumping, climbing, shooting all at the same time? Does it have a story line, or more just action based? It got an average score at EuroGamer, complaining that it doesn't do enough original. (Which having never played the series, might not be such a big deal to me)
      Last edited by capcom_suicide; 20-03-2014, 13:26.

Comment

EDD, can you do a quick check in the menu and let me know what the HUD options are (eg on/off/transparent etc) - if any

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
          How are the controls? Does it give a smooth feeling of jumping, climbing, shooting all at the same time? Does it have a story line, or more just action based? It got an average score at EuroGamer, complaining that it doesn't do enough original. (Which having never played the series, might not be such a big deal to me)
          Controls are fine you can change the speed of movement for aiming,vertical and horizontal.
          Yes it story driven to an extent but more action orientated

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            EDD, can you do a quick check in the menu and let me know what the HUD options are (eg on/off/transparent etc) - if any
            There's is no HUD options only video brightness

Comment

As for Eurogamer and C&VG,I don't really know what they were expecting?Yes the graphics are next gen and the gameplay is exactly the same as the series but you can say that of the majority of next gen titles so far

Comment

Thing is with inFamous it does look great and the powers are cool but in a sense it is like a Dynasty Warriors game when it comes to combat. (Which I know some people love). The point being that it needed to feel more engaging and it seems like they haven't managed any improvement from the gameplay perspective.

Also this is a exclusive game, people always expect more from exclusives. Assassins Creed etc are immune to that critique.

Comment

I had a quick go just now. It's the same as the other games, but with better graphics. Everybody knew that already though non? I wasn't expecting anything less personally.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Well put 7 hours into this so far and 27% complete?I love the series anyway but to have this much detail in game is excellent.
                    So I'm not disappointed in the slightest,in fact can't wait to get tonight's shift over with because I've got six days off work so I can rummage around Seattle till my fingers blister

Comment

Cleared the first area 100% and

met Fetch

and am really enjoying this!

It's gorgeous, the lighting is stunning.

Controls are good but there have been a few too many jumping / floating in mid air / stuck on scenery moments.

Voice acting and performance capture is exceptional. Troy Baker as Delsin really works and, despite the fact he's in so much, it doesn't sound like any of his recent performances.

Comment

Downloaded this morning form USA store (?36) and have played an hour or so. Have to say it is stunning to look at and all the characters look great and their facial expressions really add to the dialogue. The environments are beautifully done with crisp clear colour graphics and a ton of detailed work has gone into creating this. There is one scene if you look up a train is on a railway line in the mountain and the detail is great.

Gameplay is what we have to expect, and no worse for that. I am still at the early stages of building my character and he has a few moves now which all work well. Good use of the touch pad on DS4 also for some actions, it doesn't feel like and add on. The only minor gripe I is the main character movement feels a bit "light", hard to put into words, but not as "heavy" as he might be,

Anyway having played a lot of Titanfall, the step up in the graphical detail here is clear to see (I am not comparing them as games, just aesthetics).

Overall god first impression and look forward to another blast later.

Comment

Posted in headlines but worry of a repost;

InFamous: Second Son's day one patch adds 19 new missions, 5 hours of additional gameplay

19 episodic bonus missions included in free InFamous Paper Trail content.

Also includes the following improvements

Difficulty Balance
                          Normal difficulty has been slightly increased to challenge the player’s mastery of their powers
                          Expert difficulty has been fine-tuned to ensure it is the best experience for skilled gamers
                          Karma progression extended to support longer playtime

Boss Fights
                          The boss fights have been re-tuned for difficulty and fun
                          More dynamic boss behaviors and attacks

Pedestrians and DUPs
                          Engine performance tweaks to allow for more life and activity in the city
                          Increased pedestrian and traffic density and variety
                          Increased pedestrian-related karmic opportunities
                          Post-story enemy activity and D.U.P. raids

Technical Improvements
                          Graphics and performance improvements
                          Fixes for a small number of infrequent blocking bugs
                          PSN integration to support Paper Trail DLC

Thats very awesome of sucker punch! That's how to do a day one patch!!

Comment

My goodness! But then the reviews are not of the "Real" game?? How does that work? Why would a dev do so much for free???

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                              My goodness! But then the reviews are not of the "Real" game?? How does that work? Why would a dev do so much for free???
                              Because they had to rush it out the door I expect. Was probably meant to have all that.

We've just been saying that here in the office. That's quite a lot of changes. Could change a review score either way I suppose but the point is it could have an effect. Luckily I don't really care what any reviews say other than the opinions of peeps on here.

EDIT: maybe the reviews got this day 1 patch alongside the review code?

Comment

Working...
                              X