Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny Public BETA [PS4 / PS3 / 360 / XBO] review

Well, this is extremely special.

When you start off, you get a little bit of a loading screen blurb on where to give your feedback and a little thank you for participating in the alpha, then you're pushed into character creation. You can choose 3 classes with their own special abilities, but I went for Warlock.

You're moved straight into the middle of a mission. There's no explanation on controls or anything, so you're left to figure this out for yourself.

So far so Halo. Gunplay feels very similar to the Halo series as you'd expect it to. You're given objectives, go through this area and kill this guy. That's your main mission. You also start off at level 3.

You can carry with you 3 weapons. A 'Standard' weapon such as an assault rifle, a 'Special' weapon such as a shotgun, sniper rifle, fusion rifle etc, and a 'Heavy' weapon such as a huge rocket launcher. Each one has its own ammunition drops, etc.

The very moment you hit the options button though, you're immediately moved from Halo to an MMO. Full MMO style gearing system with stat comparisons and graded loot (Common, Uncommon, etc), and different skills to upgrade when you level up. That's pretty cool!

Going through your storyline missions you see a couple of random people in your area that you can start going alongside. You can choose to create a fireteam with these guys or just work alongside them as they are, and they'll disappear as soon as you transition into the next area.

Once you've finished the beginning mission, the game's structure starts to reveal itself a little bit more. At this point you return to the town area, where you have your mailbox, you can see a TON of other players all being sociable, and you've got your gear NPCs and individual class vendors. A few more things start to become apparent at this stage - You can trade in boss drops for items and weaponry, armour, etc, and the Vanguard system makes an appearance. You can complete specific challenge objectives (such as completing a Strike mission in one life, without dying, or getting 20 double kills with fusion rifles).

These Vanguard points are the equivalent to something like Tombstones in FFXIV or Justice/Valor in WoW, which can be put towards Vanguard only armour and equipment. There's a big MMO structure there.

The PvE missions you get at the start are your single storyline mission, a 'Strike' mission (Equivalent of a Dungeon in an MMO) and Free Roam (Equivalent of Adventure Mode from Diablo 3). Free roaming is REALLY nice, as you get randomly generated quests in different areas much like the bounties in Diablo 3 that you can just run for fun and level up from, getting rewards along the way.

You are also likely to encounter random missions and public quests like FATEs from FFXIV. We had a gigantic metal crawler crab like robot thing appear from the sky in the middle of nowhere and everyone teamed up to try and figure out how to take it down.

I've played approximately 2 hours of it and if it weren't for work tomorrow, I'd be hammering it all through the morning. The social aspect is REALLY well done, especially with seeing players around you randomly helping you out regardless of what you're doing, the social hub and shop area, the gunplay, the gameplay structure...

And just for me, the loot hoarding... The first time I picked up an unidentified item, got it identified in town as a Green grade Rocket Launcher, I just grinned.

There's also the 'Crucible', your PvP arena. I've not touched this at all, so more on this tomorrow...

I'm pretty sure there's tons of stuff I've missed (I've not gone into detail with each character's super charged special moves etc!), but it's Halo gunplay with ARPG and MMO game structure and Diablo style looting. What an absolutely sublime combination.

I streamed my entire session tonight, so while there'll be some dull bits in there, you can check out the recording at http://www.twitch.tv/infinitypig/b/537870923
    Last edited by Silvergun X; 12-06-2014, 23:50.

So Halo / Borderlands / Guildwars basically ... Sounds like a nice combo at the very least.

Comment

Although technically you can hold more than 3 (on your person quick swap weapons) as you can carry (from memory) 15 primary and 10 special?
      But you need to go to your options menu and select from there. As I found myself running out of ammo on quite a few occasions when tackling special events and with ammo drops being semi frequent determined by how many minions spawn, it's best to carry a few weapons.

I'm not sure if it's there, but instead of pausing to select another primary (or secondary/ special weapon) there should be a quick radial wheel, where you equip said primary or secondary > hold triangle > then select.

Another thing the radar should show on the map, via green or white dots is ammo drops. At times I found it hard to scout where they have dropped.

Other than that (for the time being) yeah, definitely getting.

Comment

Impressive impressions. Looking forward to this, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtendo View Post
          with ammo drops being semi frequent determined by how many minions spawn, it's best to carry a few weapons.
          Unfortunately this won't work. As soon as you swap out your Special weapon, all your ammunition disappears. I believe this is intended to discourage bringing along tons of guns and just equipping new ones.

Ammo is stored by type, not by individual gun.

Comment

Wow. Really enjoyed a session last night. Halo/Borderlands/MMO seems a good description! Gun play reminds me more of Borderlands than Halo, graphically it's stunning. Maybe slightly low FPS? (Coming from Wolfenstein everything feels mushy I suppose...)

A coop/MMO type of shooter is a really welcome addition, and this will be a day1 purchase for me, based on the alpha.

Comment

Enjoying what I've played so far, feels vast and that you can go pretty much any route you want. Gunplay is great, though I just got my arse handed to me by the
              several times. Handy I have the day off really.

Comment

I'm not a massive fan of borderlands or MMO's but I gave it a shot, I mean it's Bungie.

First off it does feel like halo, character weight and jumping felt familiar.
                Played for a couple of hours and just as I though, boring as **** looting and shooting with bullet sponge ******* enemies.

No thanks Bungie.

Only thing I didn't try was actual vs multiplayer which I am hearing is better.
                Last edited by Family Fry; 13-06-2014, 10:42.

Comment

I tested it last night where I had a scout rifle (DMR) and an assault rifle, made a note of the max ammo of both, then shot a few rounds of the scout, but the assault remained the same.

Unless primary ammo is shared between types.

I need to test again when I get back home.

Comment

In which case I think primary ammo is good. It could just be Specials and Heavies where you lose ammunition on swap.

I played a couple of matches of Crucible on a control map today. It feels quite good so far, but the gear and equipment is carried over from the PvE side of things. HOWEVER, the guns are balanced to an equal level, and the class level advantage is completely removed.

Standard weapons seem to be the absolute best to rely on here. I tried using the fusion rifle and even though it looked like every single shot hit, it barely made a scratch, whereas a standard full auto rifle ripped them apart in about a second.

Would heavily suggest you find a heavy weapon before you go into Crucible, as you can carry over your rocket launcher and one-shot some guys for good measure. Thankfully, heavy ammunition is very rare to find in PvP matches so you can't just go grenade launcher 24/7.

I attempted the Level 6 Strike mission again as a Level 7. It's still EXTREMELY difficult. Those robot walkers take a massive effort to try and destroy, and the only way we were able to even get close was to have one person stay back so the other two people can revive after 30 seconds when defeated.

Given that there's a Vanguard Points challenge for not dying once within the strike mission, this is going to be extremely difficult to pull off with this boss in its current form.
                    Last edited by Silvergun X; 13-06-2014, 11:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post
                      I attempted the Level 6 Strike mission again as a Level 7. It's still EXTREMELY difficult. Those robot walkers take a massive effort to try and destroy, and the only way we were able to even get close was to have one person stay back so the other two people can revive after 30 seconds when defeated.
                      That sounds pretty sweet as far as I am concerned, I want games to be hard where everyone has to work as a team.

Comment

From some of the previews it seems difficulty varies greatly between builds so the final release could be easier going. If this is hard and forces group play it's going to severley limit sales potential which would be very unActivision, especially given how much they've historically crowed about the high number of CoD buyers who never touch MP

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          From some of the previews it seems difficulty varies greatly between builds so the final release could be easier going. If this is hard and forces group play it's going to severley limit sales potential which would be very unActivision, especially given how much they've historically crowed about the high number of CoD buyers who never touch MP
                          I've never played it but I always imagined that Warcraft pretty much required group play to progress to the upper tier of the game and Activision have done alright out of that. I do appreciate that it and CoD are two different games but Destiny does appear to be trying to bridge the gap somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            In the instance of a Strike mission, you can't do these solo. Similar to how dungeon content works with MMOs, you're queued up with other players and grouped up into a fireteam of 3 people before you can enter the mission.

@originalbadboy - It IS certainly fun, but I've attempted it twice now and both times we've not managed to do it. I enjoy the challenge mind you!

I'll go through my Twitch footage and see if I can pull out an early attempt my group made yesterday night.

Comment

Thus begins our first attempt at taking down the walker:

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

30 minutes of failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X