Destiny Public BETA [PS4 / PS3 / 360 / XBO] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post
    In the instance of a Strike mission, you can't do these solo. Similar to how dungeon content works with MMOs, you're queued up with other players and grouped up into a fireteam of 3 people before you can enter the mission.

@originalbadboy - It IS certainly fun, but I've attempted it twice now and both times we've not managed to do it. I enjoy the challenge mind you!

I'll go through my Twitch footage and see if I can pull out an early attempt my group made yesterday night.
    Obviously there will be balances made, and I am sure there will plenty of lower tier and middle tier missions that wont be stupidly difficult, but I don't want it too easy either. I want missions where you really have to work for your money. Hopefully Bungie can provide both.

One thing that has bugged me about borderlands is that it is incredibly easy, way too easy, and that's lone wolfing it too. As a group its even easier.

Comment

Thus begins our first attempt at taking down the walker:

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

30 minutes of failure.
      Some Leeroy Jenkins moments there for sure ...!

Thing is though it seemed that when one of your so called teammates was down you made an effort to revive, and whenever you died they just carried on fighting.

That Walker does look hard as nails though.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
        Some Leeroy Jenkins moments there for sure ...! .
        Heheheh, guilty as charged.

I nailed a nice little hiding spot in the end, and we've nearly managed it with that, but ammunition becomes a problem. The boss creates endless waves of trash mobs as they drop ammunition, but it also really adds to the problems in the fight. I could either stay hidden behind a corner in relative safety, or go balls deep into enemy waves just to get some ammo back.

Comment

or go balls deep.
          Always the best option!

With that particular scenario from I can see the best thing would probably be have a 'runner' who goes and picks up ammo, they then use Heavy weapons to take down the Walker whilst the rest pick off the respawners .. as long as everyone keeps their distance and protects the 'runner' I would imagine it would probably be doable.

Of course getting randoms to do any sort of team work is about as likely as Leeroy Jenkins not getting killed.

Comment

I could either stay hidden behind a corner in relative safety, or go balls deep into enemy waves just to get some ammo back.
            We need a special name for this type of thing. I propose we call it a risk/reward system

Comment

Pfft. :P

It's ace. Reminds me of raiding.

This is on the low difficulty though. There's a 'Legend' difficulty setting for Strike missions above this one... **** knows whether that one's even possible with the alpha's current balance.

I just wanna get home! I'm stuck in a bloody office and the only thing I can think about is ripping apart this mission with a decent group.

Comment

the more i see of this game the more dwindles my faith in Bungie's ability to innovate. this looks pretty much like "Borderlands Online meets Halo scenery", which would still be fine but where the hell is Halo's intense and most of all tense combat? the AI seems to be a huge backstep from Halo and doesn't look like it's able or challenge the player or require much team oriented or tactical gameplay.

what do the alpha testers say?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                  where the hell is Halo's intense and most of all tense combat? the AI seems to be a huge backstep from Halo and doesn't look like it's able or challenge the player or require much team oriented or tactical gameplay.
                  Devil Walker...

Impressions and footage on the previous page.

Comment

This sounds ace, thanks for the first imps gents! Question: are the weapons fun to use, and have you seen any really bizarre/outlandish/imaginative weapon drops? (BTW I've been playing EDF2025 lately, so have got used to idea of strange weapons that often have only comedy value).

Comment

Just been putting some time into this and i have to say so far I'm absolutely loving it. Straight away it looks and feels like a Bungie game from the weapons and shields etc. It does look very beautiful and the first map that i have played, New Russia i think its called is huge, very open and quite a lot to explore.

It was a little strange at first because you are just dropped into the map and pretty much left to figure things out for yourself but doesn't take long to work out what was going on. The guns are very satisfying to fire and i love the fire fights I've been having getting into.

Just one thing are people free to join in your game as so far i have not seen anyone else so i have yet to experience the multiplayer aspect of it.

Comment

Devil Walker...

okay, right, i will watch your twitter footage later. so i understand the mission design is tough? in what way? surely not in terms of smart AI?

Comment

Played a few hours last night and still feel the same as I did before I played it.
                          I'm a huge fan of Halo's Multiplayer and have spent literally thousands of hours of my life playing , but I don't do MMOs and I found Borderlands boring.

It looks just like Halo, it's mazing how much of Bungie's style seems to have remained despite it being a different engine. It's not next gen in the slightest from what I have seen and could easily be mistaken for a 360 game, I'd even go as far as saying that Halo 4 was probably nicer looking.

It handles very much like Halo also, which gives it a certain level of familiarity. I was enjoying it upto a apoint, enemies that went down in a timely and predicatable fashion were fun to play against and they could very easily overwhelm you with their sheer numbers.
                          My biggest problem, which was also my biggest fear prior to playing is simply the fact that every so often you come across a bigger enemy or boss that can take you down with just a hit or 2, but as they are higher level than you and your group, expect to spend 5-10 minutes pumping bullets into it before you've taken half of it's health off.
                          Obviously at a later point in the game I will be able to replay this and decimate it in 2 seconds, but grinding for the sake of grinding doesn't interest me.

Comment

As for the walker, all go for one leg. It then lays on the floor and its head opens, cue grenades , rockets and special moves. I do think however it will be fixed before launch.

Also a good idea to draw off the adds and then deal with them away from the boss/walker.
                            Last edited by Garny; 13-06-2014, 18:23.

Comment

Devil Walker...

There is also a public event where a big guy drops down and nukes everyone, we all died and were lvl 8. That and the instances/strikes is where the challenge is.

Comment

Yup, that's where it's at.

We nailed the Strike mission. Brilliant fun. Footage incoming.

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                                okay, right, i will watch your twitter footage later. so i understand the mission design is tough? in what way? surely not in terms of smart AI?
                                At the moment, tough in terms of mechanics. The walker will target one of you and let loose with a gigantic cannon with a massive AOE that can one-shot you, while you're being attacked at the same time by adds.

It's good if you're in a well co-ordinated group.

Comment

Working...
                                X