The Last of US Remastered PS4 review [no spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    I find the combat options very limited and crafting consists purely of holding X over a preset so might as well not exist.
    Just wait until you go to Survivor or Grounded mode. Then it turns into a 'strangle simulator' as you do your best to conserve ammunition and not attract attention.

Comment

Having never gotten round to playing the PS3 version, I picked up the remastered today. Is it worth starting with the prologue first? Does it make more sense to play the prologue first, or still do the main game first then the prologue?

Comment

Yeah, start at the beginning.

Comment

Think he is talking about the DLC H-Man.

My thought would be to play the main game first as the DLC was released later. I haven't played Left Behind however so maybe someone who has can enlarge on this.

Comment

Personally I thought left behind was a load of ****e, and I think had I played it first then I most likely wouldn't have been as interested in the game. You definitely don't need to play it first.

Comment

There are spoilers up the wazoo in Left Behind, so yeah play the main game first.

So much negativity......... must stay positive....... internet grinding me down..... GAh

Comment

Only toward the DLC, the game itself is one of my absolute favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                  The funny thing is, LoU is better in almost all departments than Uncharted yet that series gets universal praise. It's nothing more than an average cover shooter with high production values.
                  As opposed to a below average stealth game with high production values.

Comment

^ And...the companion AI is comically ruinous. I've said this a million times before and I'll keep saying it until I'm shrill, hysterical and utterly spent. Upgrading the graphics while leaving the broken AI was a scummy move. Naughty dog!

Comment

The thing is, it's not a below average stealth game at all, far from it. It isn't anywhere near what it should be in terms of gameplay, but that applies to 90% of the games made last gen.

What is does have is challenging gameplay with genuine tension. It has an underdeveloped crafting system and AI issues but it also has varied weapons and a great risk/reward system when tackling situaitons. Character upgrades were also genuinely useful and choosing which ones made a difference to how you played.

Tomb Raider was exactly the same. Promise so much in the gameplay but was nothing at all new.

These games all depend on the story clicking. If it doesn't, most people state they are rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        The thing is, it's not a below average stealth game at all, far from it. It isn't anywhere near what it should be in terms of gameplay, but that applies to 90% of the games made last gen.
                        Given that you haven't played a single other stealth game on either the 360/Ps3 last generation besides MGS4, I could understand you might THINK that

Explore the new generation PlayStation 4 and PS5 consoles - experience immersive gaming with thousands of hit games in every genre to rewrite the rules for what a PlayStation console can do.
                        Last edited by EvilBoris; 06-08-2014, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura
                          These games all depend on the story clicking.

A rare gag from Nakamura!

I would describe Last of Us as an average stealth game at best. SF always refers to its gameplay as 'Pac-Man esque', and I like that comparison. It feels quite basic and not even close to something like MGS.

Originally posted by Nakamura
                          It isn't anywhere near what it should be in terms of gameplay, but that applies to 90% of the games made ever.

Fixed

Comment

Yes, the Pac-Man comparison is good but my memory of it is around four stealth sections and a big truckload of Vs Pirates sections. Is my memory failing me? I didn't end up classing it as a stealth game at all because of all those combat sections.

But then people keep mentioning crafting and I don't remember that in the game at all. My memory is far from reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              Given that you haven't played a single other stealth game on either the 360/Ps3 last generation besides MGS4, I could understand you might THINK that

https://secure.us.playstation.com/lo...ename=volkte37
                              Are you TA in disguise?

I have played very many stealth games ast gen. I just don't buy them because I find many of them rather dull.
                              We hold regular game sessions at each others houses. My house is the only one full of retro. My friends prefer modern stuff. It happens. I also don't care for achievements so it makes no odds to play something at my own house.

You will also notice that I never said it was a fantastic stealth game either. I merely said it wasn't below average. That's because it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                I do enjoy ND's games but they are style over substance in my opinion. The core gameplay is never really compelling, merely solid and workable. I went back to Jak & Daxter recently and found the same thing, too.
                                This is exactly how i feel and the reason why i havn't picked up TLOU yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X