No announcement yet.

Destiny 360/PS3/XBOX ONE/PS4 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Bungie did state in this update - https://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Week...News?aid=13575 - that he would either sell a specific exotic weapon or an exotic engram (which have always been armour afair), and these have switched each week.....so one would expect.....?

Seems RNG is finally dumping on me in this game though, and not in the 'showering of gifts' sense.

I laughed at the forever 29s. For me, Titan 30 - 2 raids, Warlock 30 - 2 raids, Hunter 30 - 1 raid(!), Crota loot drops were actually fixed rather well so there was no excuse not to hit 32 in quick time, HoW was a 34 gimme.

The King's Fall, nay, the Troll's Fall. 3 runs this week, not a single piece of anything that raised the light on any of my toons, even by 1/10 of a level (and with cross-char infusion). 2 runs last week just the same. Oh, and Oryx has taken 20 mouldering shards off me 5 times now...each time the loot has been a 302 or below mark/bond/cloak or boots.....and.....2 mouldering shards. Not a single weapon or anything else worthwhile from the loot table for those 20 shards. In fact, only ever got a primary from Oryx on my non-20 shard runs. The King's Jester!

Still a fun raid though. First run really recaptured that first VoG run feeling. Can't wait for hard mode though, as the boss fights are embarrassingly easy now.

Comment

Ha, acquired a Year One Gjallarhorn from a Heavy Exotic. Waste of coins now.

Comment

You can only get Year 1 stuff from the Legacy Engrams.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Probably should have read the description better. Got a nice paid of gloves from the other engram I bought so I guess they are year 2.

Comment

Originally posted by bcass View Post
            It's pretty obvious from the gun's description that it's still incomplete. It's just getting weird now how people keep jumping to negative reactions in this thread without being in full grasp of basic facts. The new quest system has been a revelation and is infinitely superior to relying on RNG for exotics. The way they've fleshed out VoG, especially, is excellent.
            you really think the Sleeper Simulant will receive further upgrades? oh and since you mention VoG - do we get year 2 loot when playing the old raids?

Comment

If I were to start playing this (latest, full version) now, would it make sense to me? I mean would the game explain everything to me as I went along? Reading this thread it seems impenetrable at this stage!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                If I were to start playing this (latest, full version) now, would it make sense to me? I mean would the game explain everything to me as I went along? Reading this thread it seems impenetrable at this stage!
                Sort of, but not to the level of detail people discuss on here. I think you need some outside research to understand it all to be honest!

Comment

Oryx is explained properly in calcified fragments you find on the dreadnaught. However if you pick them up in a random order they make an impenetrable mess and make no sense. Best to read them in order online.

The new story missions are better all round. Nathan fillion as cayde-6 is a particular highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    Oryx is explained properly in calcified fragments you find on the dreadnaught.
                    Brilliant!

Comment

Brilliant!
                      Good luck finding them though.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I was being sarcastic! A sentence with Oryx, calcified fragments and dreadnaught in it is supposed to help me know whether the game is impenetrable or not!?

Comment

I was being sarcastic! A sentence with Oryx, calcified fragments and dreadnaught in it is supposed to help me know whether the game is impenetrable or not!?
                          The new story missions do explain everything properly to be fair. Some nice cutscenes, decent explanation and well paced missions, while they last. The calcified fragments are lore based on oryx, the new main enemy, that you can find hidden around the new area, the dreadnaught. It's a step up from the other two expansions story wise that's for sure.

Hope that helps.

Edit. I should add that if you have never played it at all brad, you will find vanilla destiny and the dark below expansion a mess story wise. House of wolves is slightly better but very brief and the newest update The Taken King on the right track.

Edit 2. The raids are also a lot of fun.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 09-10-2015, 14:45.

Comment

Perhaps I should have stated that I haven't played the game at all at this point

Comment

There wasn't really a story until now. Now it's just Oryx wants revenge for killing Crota. You'll play it so much that you forget what happens in the cutscenes anyway.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I should add that if you have never played it at all brad, you will find vanilla destiny and the dark below expansion a mess story wise. House of wolves is slightly better but very brief
                                Vanilla Destiny (initial release), The Dark Below (1st expansion) and House of Wolves (2nd expansion) have actually been reworked into the Destiny storytelling method of Quests, so they are much more intelligible with some actual story in there. In fact both expansion quests dip into the Vanilla Destiny missions as well as the expansion specific ones, so all of the Year 1 content now flows well and does make sense. (It was painful, as well as painfully obvious, to see just how badly Activision (I assume) cut Vanilla Destiny in order to make more cash. I don't think that's tinfoil-hatting either, scumbags.)

That said, there is still a lot of in game stuff that isn't explained in the game. I'm not talking lore here (although for that you need to visit external sites to read the Grimoire Cards (in game collectibles obtained from pretty much everything you do that contain extensive yet often cryptic lore insight)), rather in game activities, materials types and currencies and their uses, character progression and so on. WTH is an Agonarch rune? What do I use Radiant materials for? Does Etheric Light have any use now? How do I maximise loot drops from Daily and Weekly playlists? And so on. A lot of this you will figure out just by playing though, and there's always the Bungie forum too, although toxic would be the best word to describe a lot of the posts there.

Over time it does all fall into place though, and if you like FPS gunplay Destiny has some of the best out there at the moment, especially on the PvE side.

(IMO the Crucible (PvP mode) is still really rather lacking a year on, with by and large awful maps, and cheap gunplay and weak connections being just as important as skill seemingly...a far cry from the PvP experiences I have come to expect from Bungie).

Comment

Working...
                                X