No announcement yet.

Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU (full game) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cracked and picked this up as well. Really wasn't on my radar but was watching a few vids of it and the amount of content is just staggering, plus I just happened to drive past a smithys toys, accidentally stopped and ended up in the store so what can you do.

Comment

Unlocked

WArio and Lucina

yesterday. Also had 3 horrific 1-on-1 matches against a player called FAWAD who used WiiFitTrainer and wiped the floor with me.

Loving playing as Shulk.

Comment

Gave it a half hour before work this morning.

Is it me, or does the extra resolution make the game feel different than before? It probably doesn't help that I'm coming from Melee on a CRT to my not-so-quick Dell LCD display.

Looks gorgeous though, dove straight into event matches on hard. The AI is much much better than before, looking forward to putting some more time in and choosing a character to main.

Comment

You get a holding room before online games and the longer it takes, the more opponents you get to face - the AI ramps up pretty fast too.

Comment

Sorry if you've seen this, but Gamestop had a Smash Bros contest and this ten year old girl beat every single person who tried to take her on, or did she...?

Comment

Was pretty obvious in the fact that none of her controller action matched up with the screen action, surely someone would of noticed a perfect game being played, and buttons being smooshed randomly and put 2 & 2 together?

Comment

Yeah that was a ridiculous hoax that didn't have me fooled for a second. What annoyed me most, ignoring the blatant advertising attempt of the shop, was the online community defending and praising the kid. That annoys me in general these days anyway, people are far too quick to believe what they are seeing rather than taking a step back and thinking about it.

Anyhoo, I'm still playing the 3DS Smash as the WiiU version is sitting in top of the wardrobe waiting for Xmas. Got fairly good playing as Megaman this weekend and would go as far as saying he is in my top three characters to play as now.
                Such a wide variety of moves - obviously there is plenty of projectile opportunities but some decent finishers and air game in there too.

Who are you guys preferring at the moment?

Comment

Man, this is absolutely brilliant, both on the 3DS and the Wii U. I've unlocked all the characters on the 3DS and played a hundred or so online For Glory matches, Shulk was my main for a while simply because it's so ridiculously easy to get some low percentage KOs going by using your back slash with the smash buff active.

His edge-guarding was also pretty damn superb what with his Up Special having such a huge KO potential on it.

Bought the Wii U version and it's just as good. I massively prefer the 3DS' Smash Run over the Wii U Smash Tour though... If they'd kept Smash Run in I'd be so damn happy. It's excellent.

8 Player Smash is a gigantic cluster****. It's so difficult to tell what's happening. Still good fun but whereas 4 player matches are some kind of tameable chaos, 8 player is just pure chaos and random stuff flying everywhere.

I'm pretty damn hooked on training my Amiibo... Wasn't too sold on them and wasn't going to bother collecting them but I started with a Marth and began training him up. Once became two, two became six, and now I'm trying to find the rest of the Wave 1 collection. Also worth noting that each Amiibo also collects presents, moves, equipment and gold for you to collect too.

I like the 3DS Classic mode more than the Wii U Classic mode but both are fun as hell.

Started taking Shulk into some For Glory matches on the Wii U version, wasn't even half as successful as I was on the 3DS version... Started learning a few characters, spending a lot of time with Marth and Lucina before realising I just couldn't play them efficiently, before settling on Robin and winning quite a few matches by stunlocking enemies in Arcthunder and Arcfire and launching them from that. Amazing fun, and about to train up a bit more on the 3DS while I'm on my lunch break.

Comment

I'm finding this really hard. It's the first smash I've put more than a few minutes into and I find the controls really... Clunky? I always seem to. Be facing the wrong way to hit someone, and always seem to dash instead of run/walk anywhere- which makes it even harder to hit folks and harder to pick up items.

Plus the usual problems of seeing and understanding what's happening. Obviously the maps changing and creating insta-death falls for me isn't helping too!

Enjoying it, but I am finding it frustrating too as I'm still learning it all.

Any tips?

Comment

Final form stages don't change, so try playing on Battlefield that way in a team battle 2v2, you and a lvl5 CPU against 2 lvl5 CPUs and see how you fair.If it's too easy, up the opposite team, and viceversa if it's the other way around. When you feel more confident, change to a 4p battle royale.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                        I'm finding this really hard. It's the first smash I've put more than a few minutes into and I find the controls really... Clunky? I always seem to. Be facing the wrong way to hit someone, and always seem to dash instead of run/walk anywhere- which makes it even harder to hit folks and harder to pick up items.
                        I find that the GamePad exacerbates these problems. It is awful for playing Smash imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          I find that the GamePad exacerbates these problems. It is awful for playing Smash imo.
                          Glad its not just me with this and the gamepad, played a few matched last night and got my arse handed to me by level 6 opponents, the gamepad just doesn't suit it, also keep falling off the arenas a lot.

Used Little Mac though and love him, it was cool doing a Pikachu and Charizzard team up for the first time as well
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 02-12-2014, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

Used Little Mac though and love him
                            Me too - pretty much my main on the 3DS version, although I've been using Ganondorf, Capt. Falcon, Ike and DK a lot more. Also started experimenting with Sonic recently.

Better players with other characters will easily dispose of Little Mac. As awesome as his ground game is he has a LOT of deficiencies in other areas.

Comment

I've unlocked everyone but R.O.B in the Wii U version in under 3 hours, much much faster than it was in Brawl and Melee. Blasting through with Link, really enjoy how he plays although his new running A move is a jumping arc rather than the usual slash as it was on Melee/Brawl.

One thing that really stands out is the HD. The character select screen looks incredible and colourful, it's awesome. Aside from that, yeah, it's more Smash.

Comment

Using 3DS to play Smash Wii U > Using GamePad to play Smash Wii U

By light years.

Comment

Working...
                                X