No announcement yet.

Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU (full game) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, thanks guys! We have family over at Christmas, and the Wii U is a present for the kids (and me...)

We have:

Wii U controller
    Wii U pro controller
    Wii Mote #1
    Wii Mote #2
    3DSXL with Smash Bros game

So I thought it would be fun that the two uncles and three kids could play some together. None of us have played Smash so it could be good!

Kryss's explanation was just what I needed, the basics. Thanks!
    Last edited by capcom_suicide; 05-12-2014, 10:00.

Comment

Don't feel any of my post was aimed at you capcom_suicide! Was addressing the poster above you.

I'm sure with you'll have a blast with it.

Comment

Im still utter crap at smash bros after all these years, hated the n64 one but loved it from gc onwards, its just such a tight hard to master game you can always go back to it to perfect those pixel perfect rolls into a smash attack. Get two masters on this and its a sight to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
          Ok, thanks guys! We have family over at Christmas, and the Wii U is a present for the kids (and me...)

We have:

Wii U controller
          Wii U pro controller
          Wii Mote #1
          Wii Mote #2
          3DSXL with Smash Bros game

So I thought it would be fun that the two uncles and three kids could play some together. None of us have played Smash so it could be good!

Kryss's explanation was just what I needed, the basics. Thanks!
          As long as you don't take it too seriously, local MP is amazing fun. With more than 4 players the variety of stages does get reduced a little, and you get limited in your options. One example of a mode that I've always found fun since the GC game brought it in is giant mode. 4 massive characters in a regular stage is a receipe for nonsense! Try it on the DK64 stage.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            I really don't get how people can't like Smash. I can only assume those people don't understand the systems, have nobody to play offline with or have no dexterity!

These games are every bit as intricate as a fighting game at the core, it is only when you introduce silly stages and item RNG that the game is knocked down a few pegs and seems far more of a "party" game.

Either way, if Smash didn't click with you the first three games there's no particular reason why this one would.
            Horses for courses I guess. I totally understand the system the game uses but still find it imprecise. I was playing with Little Mac and found that the movement with the analogue stick was too loose therefore I was unable to accurately position my character where he was needed effectively. Plus the fact that the stages can zoom out so far that you can often miss the visual clues needed for what move you are pulling off. It's not a case of the player lacking dexterity, the game makes it tricky to provide it sometimes.

Contrary to what I'm saying though I don't hate the game, it certainly has alot of charm and I found myself quite drawn to the Super Mario World stage. It blatantly isn't as precise as a proper fighting game though, the controls don't afford that level of precision. As a fun party fighting game I guess it fits the bill. This is all in my own honest opinion of course

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
              I caved and bought the 3DS version, (Have the Wii U version under the tree) I've never played the series before and am quite confused. Is there a good "Guide" or help page somewhere? It seemed a bit chaotic.
              As Kryss suggested I would turn off the "Up to jump" option as it messes you up when you want to do an up attack and end up jumping instead.

Basically you want to be causing enough damage to smash opponents off the screen, so get your opponents damage percentage nice and high!

Up + special is the best recovery in most cases if you find yourself flying off the stage (these are different for every character and some are a lot better than others.)

Shield and tap left or right is the dodge/roll move.

Comment

Thanks!! I have a bunch of GameCube controllers too, so caved and bought an adapter from eBay. Seemed to be sold out in the shops here.

im going to practice all these tips on my 3ds tonight

Comment

I just gave in to temptation as well and bought a wiiu with a few games (yay for selling some unwanted retro games), smash bros being one of them.
                  I haven't quite put a lot of time in it yet but what I have played was pretty fun. I like how they, again, have a boatload of trophies and things to do and collect, most of which tickle my fancy as a retro enthousiast ^^

Comment

You know they have a kind of "hall of fame" where you can play most of the old Nintendo games featured for about 3 mins each?

Comment

Yes, I have tried a few of them. However, have you noticed there appears to be some kind of input lag while playing these? Or is it just me?

Comment

How would you describe this game to a total layman newcomer, i know its a fighting game, but is it in the same genre as say street fighter executions and combos, or is it a different beast altogether? I always want to try get into fighting games but the difficulty always gets me stuck at square 1

Comment

It's most certainly not a fighting game in the typical sense.

Manic Party Action Game.

That's what it would probably say on a 90s Konami Japanese box.

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
                            How would you describe this game to a total layman newcomer, i know its a fighting game, but is it in the same genre as say street fighter executions and combos, or is it a different beast altogether? I always want to try get into fighting games but the difficulty always gets me stuck at square 1
                            Forgive any seeming ignorance on my part if you know anything at all about Smash, but watching this vid is probably easier than explaining it to you at this point.

It's the basic how to play video from the 3DS version but it obviously applies to the Wii U version as well.

Comment

Cool thanks guys, and no worries Nu i am 110% ignorant to the ways of smash :P

Sort of has a viewtiful joe kind of combat feel to it by the looks of that video, cool, i had a wii u...for a week then sold it, didnt sit well the large tablet with me. But...i dunno.. actually maybe i am just so bitter and sour that any kind of nintendo fun just naturally doesn't work for me. But at any rate bayo2, mario cart , donkey kong, smash, all look really good fun. Whatever that means.

Maybe ill pick up another system with a pro controller and put that tablet away and never look back
                              Last edited by Largo; 09-01-2015, 00:33.

Comment

You need to have the tablet powered on to play games, Smash no exception. Yes, I feel the same way as you about this.

As for Smash, it moves WAYYYYY better than Viewtiful Joe, as much as I love that game.

Comment

Working...
                                X