No announcement yet.

The Evil Within (All Formats) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just onto Chapter 3 and I'm loving this. It does have a retro feel to it in some respects, probably due to the controls but that aside it feels like an original game to me which is what I've been craving for so long! Simply don't go into it expecting to be blowing things up, its very stealthy but that just creates atmosphere!

Its like the dirty offspring of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Metal Gear and for that I love it!

Vita remote play works well too, dark room, deep headphones. Perfect.

Real surprise for me this as I didn't expect much from it.

Comment

Another cracking pc port then, been some shockers of late hence my interest in a console at the minute to cut out the faffing.

Comment

Widescreen fix is in! Can start playing!

Comment

It looks really stretched.

Comment

Deffo incorrect, you can see the drain cover is an ellipse.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              It looks really stretched.
              Yup my bad, it's a horizontal fix, step forward though...

Comment

Playing this on ps3 and it's rough as a badger's arse. If you've got a choice between current or last gen, forget about saving the pennies and ffs go current. Up to chapter 3, finding it decent so far. Stealth is simple and works well, enemy AI is reliable and fair (seems to me), so it's really playable. Easy and fun to tempt enemies into traps. Reeks of Resi 4, obviously, with more than a hint of unhinged Grasshopper chucked in.

Comment

Love the Game, but what do people think of the letterboxing, im playing on a 65 inch screen so dont find it to intrusive, but my son was playing it on a 28 inch set in his room and i think it somewhat ruins the experience, do we know the reason for not going fullscreen at all.

Comment

To make it 'cinematic' with 'artistic' framing have been the reasons given since it first was shown. Also, there was something said about aspects of the game appearing within the borders to mess your head up. Not seen anything of this yet though. I don't mind the borders - they helpfully mean I have to look at less of the awful graphics. Parts of internet seem to be in meltdown over this outrage, however.
                    Last edited by Golgo; 15-10-2014, 07:29.

Comment

Anyone got to chapter 9 yet?

Is there a way to deal with the

randomly spawning, unkillable, insta death enemy

?

Comment

More random thoughts: protagonist can reduce a solid barrel to splinters with a single superman punch but can't run for more than 4 steps without collapsing in a heap - the camera being stuck so ridiculously tight to his arse that he then actually disappears from view for a few seconds.

Leg hanging off due to chainsaw cut in ch. 1, necessitating a slow limp through that entire chapter, is mended completely for some cut-scene sprinting by ch. 2, which follows on exactly

. Animation for returning lamp to your belt: what?! Sound design is massively disappointing for a game of this type. Generic grunts, creaks, clanking chains and breaking glass. Surround sound very poorly implemented, if it is at all. Hmmm...not quite feeling this at the moment. At the moment all I can think is that this game has been left in the dust by The Last of Us, which it's clearly riffing off with the traps and DIY weapons. Ah well, onward...

Comment

played this for about 5 hours last night, pretty good so far but the first section is a complete rip off of resident evil 4 lol.

i never seem to have enough ammo in this either where as in resident evil you always had enough to get you through

Comment

I'm hoping this has turned up in the post today
                            I give up with Alien Isolation so hoping this will keep me occupied for a bit

Comment

Hunting down story fragments/notebooks is proving pretty interesting. I swear Mikami's given his mate Suda 51 the writing job on the sly, for a laugh. One entry in Sebastian's diary is about

his sassy new partner - "my kinda woman!" - and how he nearly got caught staring at her lovely butt

! The tone for this game is completely schizophrenic - I'm starting to wonder whether it's intended as black comedy.

Comment

I've just finished the first chapter, it was a nicely done opening but it took me two sittings. My gaming time is severely limited these days, I can't go more than half an hour before I decide its time the console was switched off... Do want to get stuck into the game so might move the set up in my bedroom and play a little bit more before I go bed.

Comment

Working...
                                X