No announcement yet.

The Evil Within (All Formats) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you guys finding the scariness of this game? Is jump out your chair stuff or is it just really gory, Saw style? Im so tempted to get this on PC but am undecided.

Comment

Gambit, it's not scary even in the slightest, at least not after 3-4 hours of play for me (2 of which with surround sound headphones in the dark, hoping to give myself the willies). Maybe the gore - of which there's quite a lot - is a factor on current gen, but on last gen it looks too pish to turn the stomach or anything.

Comment

On chapter 5 and I think its brilliant.Chapter 3 was superb with the village and the lighthouse in the distance what an atmosphere

Comment

Love the atmosphere , but can't help but think just because its a Shinji Mikami title its getting a awful lot of good will, The camera is a bit crap and the controls are in places terrible and there's times where the zombies just continue to try and walk even thought there's a wall blocking their path (and other bugs) If this was a Capcom title it not doubt be slagged off to death .

Still with all that , its great game even thought it plays (and in places looks) like a Survival horror game made by the Japanese decades ago . I guess that what's so good about the game in a funny sort of way and that's ita return to the classic Japanese Survival Horror game

Comment

In some respects I feel that it actually feels like a modern Western action game more than an old Japanese game. Most Japanese action games have an element of precision to the controls which this lacks. In Japanese action games the character stops moving when you stop inputting commands. In Western games (GTA 5 for example) there is a slavish devotion to realistic movement which means that the character finishes animating when you tell them to stop moving. They'll finish their step then do a little shuffle to look 'realistic'. The Evil Within has this as well and it means that you are constantly over shooting then nudging the character back into position to interact with a switch or a pick up. It creates sloppy gameplay and Mikami's past games don't have this (Resi 4 and God Hand are as precise as a brain surgeon).

Comment

I'm enjoying how, if you mess up a 'rush' of baddies and have to restart, the traps etc for that area are then mixed around. So you can have a shufty and plan a new approach/route, maybe setting some traps of your own, before triggering the next onslaught. Good fun. Controls and graphics are utterly ragged though, also lots of clipping/interacting/attacking through scenery, and the companion AI is as norm ****e. Don't climb over any obstacle/low wall when AI is following you or they'll just get confused and rotate on the spot until you go and retrieve them. Also, what's with the statuettes attached to back of rats and bats??

Comment

Got the special edition earlier, and just smashed through the first 2 chapters. Gets off to a slow start but once it steps up a gear into Resi mode, it's fantastic.

Comment

Chapter 3 is ace. Loving the shades of Resi 4

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                    Got the special edition earlier, and just smashed through the first 2 chapters. Gets off to a slow start but once it steps up a gear into Resi mode, it's fantastic.
                    Ye get that impression too. Watched the Giant Bomb quick look and they were saying it's a while until the game gives decent amounts of ammo and stuff. As Atticus says above Chapter 3 seems to pick up. Just got the Digital version cannot wait to play really like the old school feel about the way it plays, dare I say what Resident Evil 5/6 would have been under Mikami stewardship?

Letter box mode I believe was either an engine problem as to be honest I.d tech engine seems to be stellar but not pushing graphics as I thought it would, which is odd because Rage looked amazing. Resident Evil 4 on the Game Cube limited by power maybe same here when making the game multi platform did not want frame rate to drop or even perhaps a cinematic choice. But general atmosphere is excellent. As pointed out Resi 4 was quite precise I am starting to wonder if some of Mikami's design choices in this were to hark back to the original Resident Evil and get backs to his roots. Seems too coincidental e.g Reseident Evil 4 style Chapters, clunky character movement (maybe it was all for the disorientation effect not sure) aka Resident Evil1/2 not in 3 so much also Safe Head seems like Chainsaw bag head and Nemesis style foe plus the majorly creaking doors to name a few
                    Last edited by JU!; 17-10-2014, 20:55.

Comment

I'm just on Chapter 7. I'm enjoying it but the whole game feels devoid of any personality.

Sebastian is boring....he's just got nothing about him to like or care about.

I've mixed feelings about it so far i feel the first few chapters were pretty great but it's all been a bit samey after that.

Comment

I'm really really enjoying this. Not rushing through it, taking my time and already looking forward to re-playing it again after completion.

I also have to mention one of my favourite things about this game is....the doors! I love how every door you see, you can open and explore the room behind it. Having played stuff like Far Cry & Killzone recently where doors are pretty much just for show, I'm loving kicking the doors in on Evil Within, or smashing in windows. Aside from that, the visuals are really floating my boat, they're absolutely spot on and perfectly set the scene, and some of the gory death scenes are ace.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                          I'm really really enjoying this. Not rushing through it, taking my time and already looking forward to re-playing it again after completion.

I also have to mention one of my favourite things about this game is....the doors! I love how every door you see, you can open and explore the room behind it. Having played stuff like Far Cry & Killzone recently where doors are pretty much just for show, I'm loving kicking the doors in on Evil Within, or smashing in windows. Aside from that, the visuals are really floating my boat, they're absolutely spot on and perfectly set the scene, and some of the gory death scenes are ace.
                          Totally agree with you Dave,its one of the best games I've played for a while.Can't wait till my days off

Comment

I just tried this for an hour or two for the first time and I don't see it to be honest I think it's ****.. I loved resi 4 and Mikamis early stuff but this is just the bastard child of clock tower and deadly premonition. Really disappointed it seems a hollow shell that once was survival horror, alien is certainly better than this.

Comment

Stick with it, it improves a hell of a lot from chapter

Comment

I'm the other way around,I give up on Alien isolation

Comment

Working...
                                X