No announcement yet.

Bloodborne review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished this last night. Fantastic game in every way. Didn't think I'd like the new approach to combat as much as I did (I was an armoured, shield-up tank in my first, and preferred, play-through of Demon's Souls) but it works a treat. Think I slightly prefer the medieval-fantasy setting on Souls over the pure horror here but that's just me being picky. Once it clicks it stops being a game you want to play and becomes one you have to play.

Doubt I'll dive right in to NG+ straight away. It's a pretty intense game. Think I'll play something more light-hearted (like GTAV) first. Proper summer game

Comment

You'd be surprised, NG+ is hella short. Avoiding all the optional stuff, you can blitz through it in hours. The difficulty doesn't seems to go up that much until later NG+ runs either.

Comment

I was hoping to complete this before Witcher 3 hit but alas I'm succumbed to a bit of witchering

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
          I was hoping to complete this before Witcher 3 hit but alas I'm succumbed to a bit of witchering
          Mine is shrinkwrapped in a drawer. I'm being strong, but I've committed myself to BB now. See if it lasts!

Comment

I can't stand Bloodborne now. I gave up playing at NG++ to start Dark Souls II. I'm pretty much at platinum so I gave BB a try. I just can't get back into it.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              I can't stand Bloodborne now. I gave up playing at NG++ to start Dark Souls II. I'm pretty much at platinum so I gave BB a try. I just can't get back into it.
              I haven't replayed but can sympathize with that - BB hasn't lingered in the memory anywhere near as powerfully as the Souls games, for me anyway, even though I'm not best enamoured of DS2.

Comment

There's no reason to go back to Bloodborne after you've seen all three endings. The gameplay is old by that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Finished this last night. Fantastic game in every way. Didn't think I'd like the new approach to combat as much as I did (I was an armoured, shield-up tank in my first, and preferred, play-through of Demon's Souls) but it works a treat. Think I slightly prefer the medieval-fantasy setting on Souls over the pure horror here but that's just me being picky. Once it clicks it stops being a game you want to play and becomes one you have to play.

Doubt I'll dive right in to NG+ straight away. It's a pretty intense game. Think I'll play something more light-hearted (like GTAV) first. Proper summer game
                  I'm so desperate to finish, got a week off cannot play solid everyday due to other stuff. Agree pretty intense game thinking of giving a break for lighter games. I seem to have hit a brick wall, used some Co Op on other bosses but the

Sadows of Yharnam

can't for the life of me get any co op to appear (Beckoning bell not crossed out either, on World wide) and looked online people said they were level 40-45 when they beat this alone, so had to grind from about Level 30 still only level 35 and managed to get one or two of their life bars down to half but seems so hard. Can last a while doing but one always gets me. Before that was enjoying Bloodborne sad about this seeming brick wall. Have only fought them 4-5 times though heard some people fighting bosses 10 times upwards. Anyway guess I'll keep grinding levels (feels like Funal Fanatasy) not in a good way.
                  Last edited by JU!; 02-06-2015, 16:50.

Comment

Having spent a couple of months saying 'not my type of game, far too difficult,' I finally took the plunge last week - and I'm loving this. Granted, I'm playing it very slowly, doing some levelling grinding in between bosses to give myself a fighting chance. Have beaten Cleric Beast and Father G but am now stuck in the Cathedral Ward part - I can't kill the **** on top of the turret on the path to Old Yhartham - ive managed to kill the guy with the gun who is on the level below, but when I climb the ladder to kill the gun turret man, he combos me before I can do much damage.

Is there a tip for this bit? I'm level 28, so feel that should be enough?

Comment

If you have the Blunderbuss, you can stagger him into a fall. Climb the ladder until the last steps, he might move toward you, but won't move farther than the middle of the plateau; you just wait until he gets back to the machine gun, then quickly pop up and fire when he's beside the gun.

Comment

You can avoid him for now and come back after a certain boss and he'll be friendly.

He seemed to have fallen off the building by himself in my run. When I got there he was already gone.

Comment

Thanks guys - have the Blunderbuss so will try that way!

Comment

If he doesn't fall off instantly you should dance around him without engaging too much and try to manipulate his position. Eventually he will roll and be right on the edge, then you should strike to knock him off.

Comment

I'm at the exact same spot, except I'm at level 30. That dude destroyed me, and I never thought to try and knock him off the tower. I don't have the blunder bus though, must have missed that somehow.

Comment

Did in a mix of ways in the end - mucked up the 'wait on top rung' way, so he came at me firing. Managed to get a few shots off to stop him and, as I was healing and waiting for him to combo me into oblivion, he rolled himself off the edge!

Had to go back to the Hunters Dream and then back to the tower to pick up the item he drops.

Terry - the blunderbuss is one of the opening weapons you can choose - it's that or the pistol, I think? If you didn't take it when you started the game, there is a badge you can pick up early in the game which makes the opening weapons available in the Hunters Dream store. Might be worth checking there to see if it's available to buy.
                                Last edited by TonyDA; 04-06-2015, 08:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X