No announcement yet.

Bloodborne review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ It is. I traded the vanilla disc after completion and was able to start right into NG+ with my existing save when I re-bought the disc GOTY version.

Comment

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
        What level and playthrough were you on when you tackled the DLC? I'd like to play the DLC but ?16 for three hours play is offputting.
        I was around level 130, even then it was quite tough. I think tackling it on NG+ would take a decent amount of hours to complete it. Some of the bosses are hell, but I came to the DLC after finishing all the chalice dungeons so it wasn't overly hard for me. Save for the very last area, which is pure hell.

Comment

I got the game of the year edition and started playing this recently. So far I've gotten past 2 bosses and some way into the next area after. I'm enjoying the extra speed of the combat/dodging and having an alternative weapon mode. I always wanted the Souls game to have a bit more speed. I like these extra moves you can do like when you press the attack after a dodge you automatically shift forwards and the weapon switch attack. Also gun parrying seems a lot more forgiving in timing compared to shield parrying in the other games. As I progress the graphics are getting better as in other Souls games. The area I'm in now in particular has a beautifully designed gothic look and sinister looking enemies.

There are technical issues I'm really disappointed by though. The frame rate being the biggest one. It drops below 30fps from time to time but in general feels off. Maybe it's the frame pacing issue that's been mentioned about this game? At times it actually feels uncomfortable to play. There seems to be a lack of anti aliasing which here and there really shows itself up and combined with the frame rate occasionally make things look terrible in motion. I'm also not keen on this chromatic aberration technique they've used, it makes things look a bit blurred and unfocused at times.

It's a let down that a PS4 exclusive that's more about fast paced combat has a frame rate like this even more so since they haven't applied any fancy anti aliasing. I would've taken a drop in resolution if they couldn't manage it. From what I've read Dark Souls 3 may have the same problem. In comparison the upcoming Ni-oh (which looks a very similar style of game) is running at 1080p and 60fps.

Comment

So I think I am nearing the end of my first playthrough. An excellent game but I can't shake the feeling that there is, like all the Souls games, a lot of content that I have missed out on.

I know for a fact I haven't accessed the DLC so far and even though I found Cainhurst I haven't explored it at all yet. It might not be quite as deep as the Souls series but there is a lot of content here. It just has a different focus. Basically, I wish I had bought it sooner.

Comment

I'm stuck on blood starved beast. Horrible boss who just continuously poisons me. Good game though.

Comment

I really enjoyed The Old Hunters expansion, especially all the new weapons, and playing at level 230 on NG+++ I found the difficulty almost perfect. Playing solo, making it to each of the bosses was a tricky and tense but doable affair, although I did end up summoning assistance for the first boss and final bosses which I found maddeningly difficult. Took me a good 20 hours to complete, and I still haven't discovered all the new gear.

Comment

I cannot beat Laurence to save my life. Get him down consistently to about 10% health but he always catches me off guard. It is annoying me now because I am still on the first go around. Don't want to finish it until I've knackered him.

Comment

Remember there's no shame in summoning. I struggled against Lawrence too, to the point where it got annoying, at which point I summoned for help and got back to enjoying the game.

Don't end up like this guy:

Comment

'Please reconnect controller'

Comment

Indeed - summon and be damned. It's a lot of fun, especially the mock-serious formalities and camaraderie it generates among players, like all saying prayers before crossing the fog, etc. The bosses in these games can be cheap, after all, and it's great to gang up on them.

Comment

I've actually been playing this a lot lately and it's been almost exclusively as a 3 player team with two buddies. It's been fun!

Comment

All these coop confessionals feel really quite liberating! Watch out, though, the hardcore boys will be in soon, saying the 'Souls' aren't meant to be fun, put up a harsh challenge but always punish you fairly and are never cheap, and are meant to be endured manfully and alone.

Comment

Co-op? With a human? I've only been using the meat shields so far!

Comment

Those wanting to level up fast, know that a Pthumeru Ihyll CRF (cursed rotten fetid) root chalice is the way to go. Creating such a chalice dungeon requires some pretty rare ingredients - some available from the main campaign, some from different chalice dungeons, and completing one is very difficult, but they're inhabited by regular foes (not bosses) worth between 10K - 80K a piece (on NG+++). You can make 500,000 echoes in under 10 minutes. Furthermore the caryll rune and blood gems you'll discover are unmatched. And they're a lot of fun to play too.

Comment

Working...
                                X