No announcement yet.

Transformers: Devastation review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished this last night with just over 5 hours on the clock. I have to say that I'm pretty discussed at how short the game is. If it was say about half the price I would be bothered but come on, 50 quid for only 5 hours!? It would have been less if I hadn't let my son do some of the missions.

Besides going back and doing the game with other characters there's no real reason to play it again. Don't get me wrong, the presentation is excellent plus the later half of the game really is like watching an episode of Transformers...... But the length of content is piss poor.

This game needs three major improvements, original transformers splash screen jingle and original title music and more stages in different locations.

Comment

Unless you completed it with SS ranks for everything it doesn't count.

These games are like bullet hell shooters. Story and environments mean nothing, it's all about mastering the combo/score system and replaying for the grades on the highest difficulty - like a competitive fighter, only in single-player. 100%.

Not so sure how you can be "discusseded" by it when all of Platinum's output follows the same template.

Comment

I don't agree. The story should mean something in a Transformers game. Why bother with the original voice actors if it's not worth anything. Also, I need to be 100% perfect at a game to get any value from it? Being perfect should be rewarded with extra goodies. Platinum's Metal Gear, Vanquish and Bayonetta games were all long with excellent quality all round. Transformers is just too short for an action game IMO. It also has only 3 actual areas too, the City, bays ide / bridge and the ship, with the ship being the best. Compare to the other Platinum Games title I mentioned this is very short and low on variety. Kind of reminds me of that 360 stats based Fighter they made, Maximum Impact was it? I can't remember the name now. Didn't like that either.

If this game was longer and had more maps I would have loved it so much more.
        Last edited by Yakumo; 16-10-2015, 15:31.

Comment

It is short story wise, but I dipped into the challenge section of the game last night and it has easy 2-3hrs worth of content within that. Also like me if you are addicted to the grind, levling up just one character is going to take 15hrs +

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            I don't agree. The story should mean something in a Transformers game. Why bother with the original voice actors if it's not worth anything. Also, I want to be 100% perfect at a game to in order to squeeze everything out of it? Being perfect should be rewarded with extra goodies. Platinum's Metal Gear, Vanquish and Bayonetta games were all long with excellent quality all round. Transformers is just too short for an action game IMO. It also has only 3 actual areas too, the City, bays ide / bridge and the ship, with the ship being the best. Compare to the other Platinum Games title I mentioned this is very short and low on variety. Kind of reminds me of that 360 stats based Fighter they made, Maximum Impact was it? I can't remember the name now. Didn't like that either.

If this game was longer and had more maps I would have loved it so much more.
            Agreed, Yakumo. I played through Vanquish a few times on different difficulties because I enjoyed the gameplay and I enjoyed the setting and the variety of the campaign. Was not all about finger-dexterity OCD.

Comment

Was just wondering, what difficulty level have you guys been playing at?

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                Was just wondering, what difficulty level have you guys been playing at?
                I played on commander, with it being a short game I wanted to make the most out of it. Magnus is a whole new ballgame XD

Comment

I played this for about 20 hours now and I would say that both arguments are valid.

I do believe that when you finish a Platinum game for the first time you're really only just the beginning, however I do think that this game is done on a tighter budget and as such the the games assets are limited (areas, enemy types etc.). Doesn't mean the game itself is limited, there's still plenty to do to test your skills.

The main gripe I have is that there 5 characters to pick from but it seems once you start down the path with a character the others kinda become obsolete for the level you're taking on. I want to try the other characters for more than 5 mins but I'm part way through Magnus difficulty and the bog standard levelled character just won't cut it. Playing Magnus difficulty you well literally die in 2-3 hits, it's crazy. I can't believe there's a harder 'Prime' difficulty after this.

If you're planning on playing this one time through, I think you should definitely opt for the ?18 360/PS3 version otherwise you may be a bit disappointed. They've hidden quite a lot on the world to try and help lengthen it, but this is all optional and can be ignored.
                  If you're in it for the Platinum haul you've got plenty to do and discover and it's well worth getting.

The game feels a lot more like Revengence than Bayonetta to me.

Comment

I am just at the end of chapter 1, have bought a couple of the key moves, and I'm beginning to enjoy it. The first little while felt really crappy tbh, but after the second Megatron fight it started to get challenging.

Although, nobody ever mentioned that Bumblebee doesn't transform into a VW and Megatron doesn't transform into a gun...

Not happy on that front.

Comment

Had a quick go of this on my Bro's Xbone today.

Good fun. Looks great. Will wait for it to drop in price.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                        Although, nobody ever mentioned that Bumblebee doesn't transform into a VW and Megatron doesn't transform into a gun...

Not happy on that front.
                        bumble bee kind of looks like a VW but to be fair that would have been a license issue. I'm pretty sure that the later Megatron toys had him changing into something other than a gun too.

Comment

Haven't played this anywhere as much as I would have liked just yet, so all I have to contribute at this moment is:
                          - they've nailed the feeling of impact would be expected when such massive machines are slugging it out.
                          - I love Optimus Prime's Terry Bogard-esqe power geyser move and his shoryuken.

Comment

I'm really starting to get into the groove now, this game is fast becoming a favourite. When you pull off a well timed focus and you get one of Optimus Prime's epic declarations during a battle (would be cheesy if delivered by anyone else) it's geek heaven.

I'm just not very impressed with the vehicle mode sections - usually require you to navigate at high speed and also hit a target, but the camera will be all over the place and so will you - I usually overtake my target and completely lose track, or smack into a moving obstacle and lose the hunt completely.

Question - what are the criteria for high ranks on challenge mode? I have only done the first three, got an A, then a B in the Devastator fight, and last night I busted out an SS for the Insecticon fight. I got hit loads of times though, it didn't feel like a very smooth battle, so I'm wondering why I got the big rewards.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              bumble bee kind of looks like a VW but to be fair that would have been a license issue. I'm pretty sure that the later Megatron toys had him changing into something other than a gun too.
                              Yeah Megatron was a tank in G2

I'm not happy with that choice but having him turn into a Gun in this would be utterly pointless, he needs to be a tank for the game to work properly.

'Bee looks enough like a VW to get a pass in my book but it's definitely down to license issues as even Sideswipe doesn't have the exact Lambo Countach look but again close enough.

The Seekers & ground soldiers are pretty solid & easily recognisable as versions of Runabout/Runamuck & Ramjet

I nearly exploded with glee when I saw the Insecticons for the first time...sad they don't transform themselves (or at least not in the point I'm up to so far) but they looked so awesome.

I just wish there were more choices for the characters, but I guess scope for DLC is there & in this instance it is actually DLC I would happily pay for.

My only other real gripe is Starscreams voice just doesn't fit to me...I know Chris Latta died in 1994 but I'm sure they could have got someone else in closer or even looked back through the archives of the G1 cartoon & spliced clips in, as I'm sure he must have said what was scripted during episodes over the years.

But generally I'm just like a child with this & enjoying it more than I have any game for a long, long, long time

Neil

Comment

Just wait a bit longer for a few more surprises

@djtickle No idea how you tackled Commander difficulty from the start, well impressed!
                                Not sure how the challenge maps compare to the core game but I was struggling with the Insecticons & Destructicons fights on Commander. Maybe my Bumblebee needs a bit more levelling to take them on proper, the damage I was dealing out just wasn't good enough.

@dataDave I noticed Saur has posted up a new video playing this and sounds like he's really enjoying it. I guess there's more to it than meets the eye...

Comment

Working...
                                X