Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Concept
    Originally posted by tiddles
    I think the Xbox version is widescreen-only too...
    Ah. ****.

Thanks for the heads-up.

When I heard about the wide-screen enforced mode, I thought it was just another (and more polite) way of European magazines/websites saying 'heavily bordered PS2 PAL conversion'.
    The whole game is in widescreen, regardless of format (although I think that's console only and excludes PC). It's called cinematics... gah.

Comment

What technical flaws are there with the PS2 version? Some occasional slight slowdown? Is it fairly minor? And what of the Xbox/PC versions?
      The GC bizarrely version doesn't have prog scan (US, UK anywhere as far as I can tell) yet the PS2 does and is kinda cheap as has been said. So I'm somewhat leaning towards the PS2 version atm. But I just wanted to know if there was any downsides to speak of.
      Any help appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by martTM
        It's called cinematics... gah.
        Or it could also probably be called 'we can't get the engine running at a decent frame-rate in full screen, so let's just cut the size down instead of spending lots of time, money and man power heavily optimizing over four formats'.

But then I suppose 'cinematics' is more catchy.

Comment

Put your TV into Zoom/Cinema mode if you have a widescreen TV. It'll fill the screen and me in a 16:9 ratio.

Comment

I'm not too keen on the widescreen look and it doesn't make it any more cinematic to me.

It's such a lush looking game that I really want to see it without the border in all its glory.

Comment

I just got this, and might play it on my 16:9 PJ rather than the 4:3 TV. Hopefully that will sort out the borders and cinematic nature.

Or it could also probably be called 'we can't get the engine running at a decent frame-rate in full screen, so let's just cut the size down instead of spending lots of time, money and man power heavily optimizing over four formats'.
              Take another cynic pill matey It's rather sad that i suspect you might be correct though...

Oh and a question; do you get more cash/credits if you take "better" photographs of things? or is it one price no matter how poorly composed?

Comment

I'm beginning to dislike the controls on the PC version and I wish I had gone with the Gamecube version instead.

I wasn't aware that the option of playing with a gamepad had been excluded for some bizarre reason or another. Its pathetic really

Comment

Originally posted by ElAlcesDiablo
                  What technical flaws are there with the PS2 version? Some occasional slight slowdown? Is it fairly minor? And what of the Xbox/PC versions?
                  I've only played the PAL PS2 version and can report that there is a fair bit of light slowdown here and there throughout the game.
                  It dosent actually affect gameplay that much because the game itself is quite forgiving on the player (you can't fall to your death and you jump automatically so there are very few timing issues).
                  If you can put up with the slight slowdown it's probably worth getting the PS2 version seeings as its so cheap.
                  According to IGN's comparison article, the Xbox and GC versions do maintain a better framerate (but still arn't perfect) and have a nicer overall display, but in terms of content and controls there is little difference between any of the console versions.

All versions run in letterboxed 4:3 display - none of them support anamorphic widescreen (which is a bit odd really).

IGN also advises that you stay away from the PC version. It might be the best-looking one, but the keyboard-only controls seem to kill it.

Comment

I've just heard that the cube version has been discontinued in the u.s with other versions to follow.

Comment

><

No chance of it reaching Europe now then on the Cube. I don't think it's even on GAME's schedule.

I just hope the Xbox version makes it over here. I really want to play the best version available.

Comment

I've got the PC version. I found the controls to be fine. No problems at all.

Comment

><

No chance of it reaching Europe now then on the Cube. I don't think it's even on GAME's schedule.

I just hope the Xbox version makes it over here. I really want to play the best version available.
                          The GC version is still on schedule for something like 31st January.

Anyway I was waiting for the GC version but instead bought the PS 2 version for 15 ?...great deal.
                          I am like 2 hours through the game...and I think I've found the GOTY...I put it in the same league already as Zelda Wind Waker...but Beyond G&E is new so, I guess it deserves GOTY

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis_god
                            The GC version is still on schedule for something like 31st January.
                            Last time I checked GAME's schedule a few weeks ago, neither Prince Of Persia or Beyond Good & Evil had confirmed dates for the GC, which had me a bit worried how the likes of Ubisoft were beginning to treat it. But looks like it's still coming out, so that's good news.

Originally posted by nemesis_god
                            Anyway I was waiting for the GC version but instead bought the PS 2 version for 15 ?...great deal. I am like 2 hours through the game...and I think I've found the GOTY...I put it in the same league already as Zelda Wind Waker...but Beyond G&E is new so, I guess it deserves GOTY h34r
                            It's been the releases that I wasn't anticipating much in 2003 which have kept me the more entertained, especially compared to some of the bigger titles. The likes of Gregory Horror Show, Psyvariar, Manhunt, Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time etc.

I wasn't really expecting much from any of them but they've been quite surprising. I'm hoping Beyond Good & Evil be the same. I've delibrately stayed away from most reviews and impressions because I'm hoping it'll knock me out.

I'm still stubbornly refusing to buy the PS2 version though, despite the ridiculously low sums of money it's being sold for right now. I want to start playing the game with the most technically sound version available.

Comment

The GC/Xbox versions have disappeared from Amazon and the official BG+E website, same for PoP too.

Comment

Originally posted by topsey turvey
                                The GC/Xbox versions have disappeared from Amazon and the official BG+E website, same for PoP too.
                                Yep just saw that....this is very sad

Comment

Working...
                                X