No announcement yet.

Starfield (PC / Xbox)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't the loading times be improved on these new consoles though? Some of the loading is very noticable and have me huffing like a spoilt brat.

Some of the graphics are very last gen. The surrounding foliage and trees on New Atlantis are statically offensive There's not a lot going on either.

Some areas in the game, mainly the planets I've explored have been pretty decent. The lighting for example. The ship looks great with its detail, but it can be pretty inconsistent.

Enjoying it though. Gonna try and finish a Bethesda game this time.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
      Shouldn't the loading times be improved on these new consoles though? Some of the loading is very noticable and have me huffing like a spoilt brat.

Some of the graphics are very last gen. The surrounding foliage and trees on New Atlantis are statically offensive There's not a lot going on either.

Some areas in the game, mainly the planets I've explored have been pretty decent. The lighting for example. The ship looks great with its detail, but it can be pretty inconsistent.

Enjoying it though. Gonna try and finish a Bethesda game this time.
      Those are all features, not lazy programming or limitations.

Comment

Played for a bit and got to New Atlantis, so still very early but I think I'll enjoy my time with it based on what I've played so far. Combat's fun and smooth. Had to change the FOV as it was giving me a headache and the UI/Inventory is clunky like all Bethesda games. I'm sure a mod will come out that improves it though.

Comment

26 hours now and there are some great side-quest missions to find - I won't spoil them, but get your ass to Mars

And say hello to my newly self-built from scratch spaceship - FUD1.

Blasting off into space ...

Into orbit

I still need to train in the tech skills to increase pilot and shipbuilding to be able to build ultra high-end ships tho :/

I would encourage you to do a bit of exploring systems not on the main mission, as there are some great places to find - when the sun is bouncing off the volumetric fog, this game looks great.

And I also found dinosaur dung.

Last edited by MartyG; 04-09-2023, 07:20.

Comment

That ship needs more engines Marty, and some fluffy dice.

I'm keen to try this new steam deck mod if it can work on the windows version. Does some taking to get it all running at a stable 30.

Comment

Is this going to support mods on SeriesX eventually?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                Is this going to support mods on SeriesX eventually?
                If it does it’ll be the lightweight curated ones. Certainly nothing that utilises any script extension (the best/useful ones).

Comment

I installed on Xbox to see how it compared and, well, I wouldn't want to play the game on Xbox after playing it on PC. It's fine and it looks nice, but there is input lag, loading times are noticeably slower and motion is bad, which the motion blur doesn't hide very well.

If you don't know any better you'll find it just fine, and I didn't really expect the game to be able to match my PC setup - but the gap in performance is larger than I'd assumed. It's perfectly playable, but if you have the means, play the PC version over the console.

Comment

Any tips on how to manage resources? I've been exploring and mining at leisure, but soon find myself running out of space to put my stuff. The 2 places on my ship and my companion are stuffed to the brim. I'm trying my best to research/mod etc to use up resources, but hitting a plateau as I need to level up research etc (via Skills I imagine?).

Also, if a companion has resources, will they be utilized automatically if I try to research/craft etc or do I have to physically move them?

Comment

Resource space can be a bit small at first, but eventually, you'll be able to buy a house and add storage chests. You can also modify your ship and add extra storage modules and you can level up skills to personally increase your carrying capacity. There might be general storage on the outpost buildings (I've not looked at this), and you can leave things in the Constellation house too, but might not be as convenient as having ship storage that you can get to more easily.

Not sure about the companion resources (or indeed resources stored in the ship cargo), but from what I can tell, I think you need to be carrying it to use it at workbenches.

Comment

please tell me the settlement and ship building is done better than in Fallout 4

Comment

The base building still relies on having resources to build things, but there's no need to build anything, It's a slightly more refined Fallout 76 implementation, I haven't done that much of it as I'm not that interested.

The shipbuilding is great and entirely separate from this. There are some restrictions in that you have to spend points on pilot skills and shipbuilding to get access to the B,C and experimental class parts, and it requires credits to buy things - the builder will tell you if you've got mismatched parts (just take care when you're selecting them, ensure they are the same class as your reactor). You could probably get something made that's quite close to Space 1999's Eagle Transporter.

The error messages could be a bit more helpful and highlight the parts that are a problem in the editor, but it's pretty fun - I hope to see this expanded a bit actually, with more parts for customisation, as I don't think you'd be able to create a Borg cube design (you need engines and the selections all stick out) and a ship needs landing gear, docking hatch and landing bay accessible. It'd also be nice to be able to export/import/trade ship designs, but there's no way of doing this.

Overall it works pretty well, and the ships look good.

and that's no moon ...

No, really it isn't, I'm on a moon and that's a planet it's orbiting. You cannot land on asteroids that orbit planets even if they're on the solar system map. I was disappointed.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 05-09-2023, 07:42.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            Any tips on how to manage resources? I've been exploring and mining at leisure, but soon find myself running out of space to put my stuff. The 2 places on my ship and my companion are stuffed to the brim. I'm trying my best to research/mod etc to use up resources, but hitting a plateau as I need to level up research etc (via Skills I imagine?).

Also, if a companion has resources, will they be utilized automatically if I try to research/craft etc or do I have to physically move them?
                            Out in the wild literally just use your companion as a pack horse as they can usually carry a fair amount before it becomes an issue. Plus when buying and selling (and I think also at workbenches), anything being carried by your companion or stored in your ships hold will be accessible directly so you don't have to cart stuff back/forth.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              The base building still relies on having resources to build things, but there's no need to build anything, It's a slightly more refined Fallout 76 implementation, I haven't done that much of it as I'm not that interested.

The shipbuilding is great and entirely separate from this. There are some restrictions in that you have to spend points on pilot skills and shipbuilding to get access to the B,C and experimental class parts, and it requires credits to buy things - the builder will tell you if you've got mismatched parts (just take care when you're selecting them, ensure they are the same class as your reactor). You could probably get something made that's quite close to Space 1999's Eagle Transporter.

The error messages could be a bit more helpful and highlight the parts that are a problem in the editor, but it's pretty fun - I hope to see this expanded a bit actually, with more parts for customisation, as I don't think you'd be able to create a Borg cube design (you need engines and the selections all stick out) and a ship needs landing gear, docking hatch and landing bay accessible. It'd also be nice to be able to export/import/trade ship designs, but there's no way of doing this.

Overall it works pretty well, and the ships look good.

and that's no moon ...

No, really it isn't, I'm on a moon and that's a planet it's orbiting. You cannot land on asteroids that orbit planets even if they're on the solar system map. I was disappointed.
                              I hated the Fallout approach to base building so this is good news. I much prefer they just give you complete lego piece modules that slot together and then some smaller bits to decorate.

Comment

Can base building/settlements etc be completely ignored?

Comment

Working...
                                X