No announcement yet.

Metroid: Zero Mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As good as the game is, I have not wanted to replay it.

Most games need to be really special or include lots of extras to make me want to replay it and Zero Mission Isn't one of those games. I was hoping it would be a marked improvement over Fusion but in my mind it is let down by being just as linear and having ridiculously easy bosses.

Having said that, I still think that it's a good game, but it isnt good enough to say, get a nine for example.

Comment

I still maintain that you haven't yet seen everything Zero Mission has to offer and have missed some of the best parts by simply running straight to the last guy. And no matter how much you think you poked around for items along the way, as I thought I had, it's probably not going to have amounted to much when set against the total experience. It's almost like the real game begins when you reach the last save station, and you take that last opportunity to turn around and peek in every hole and snatch every last item out from the clutches of the planet.

If however, you're already bored with Zero Mission and can't be bothered to pick it up again, well...maybe you just don't enjoy Metroid games as much as I do. It's still an excellent game either way, no matter when you decide to stop playing.

Comment

Funnily enough, I'm actually now playing through it again. Just so I can say I found everything 100%

I love Metroid games, but I still have to take in consideration that no matter how good a game is, it should still offer more than X amount of hours of enjoyment. It's still going to get a decent score in the mag, but anyone who might be expecting a nine is going to be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
          As good as the game is, I have not wanted to replay it.

Most games need to be really special or include lots of extras to make me want to replay it and Zero Mission Isn't one of those games. I was hoping it would be a marked improvement over Fusion but in my mind it is let down by being just as linear and having ridiculously easy bosses.
          ICO is ridiculously easy and it has almost no extras. You are not really defending your position on this.

Having said that, I still think that it's a good game, but it isnt good enough to say, get a nine for example.
          How did Prime get a ten then?

Comment

Prime was nothing to do with me, I wasn't at gamesTM then.

My whole point about Ico is that I feel it is a beautifully constructed game and despite it being so easy, I'm constantly drawn back to it. Metroid Zero hasn't grabbed me in the same way.

Honestly, I don't know what the big fuss is about, I've said I like the game, it's just not as good as I was expecting. Crikey, it's not as though I'm slating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxon
              It's almost like the real game begins when you reach the last save station, and you take that last opportunity to turn around and peek in every hole and snatch every last item out from the clutches of the planet.
              And that is precisely why Fusion left me feeling so Meh. It sounds like Zero Mission suffers in the same way. The great thing about Super Metroid was that you didn't have to force yourself to explore the world, it just sort of happened. The whole game was brilliant with the exploration and progression finely balanced. Fusion threw all of that away and essentially you have the 2 core elements of metroid unravelled.

I think I'll pass on Zero Mission.

Comment

If you loved Super, give Zero a chance! It's nowhere near as linear as Fusion. The game does constantly point you in the direction leading to quick completion granted, but I spent a good ten hours constantly going back and forth between areas to gain more items on my first playthrough. It is on the slightly easy side (only died a few times on a couple of the bosses) but I'll definitely give it another go on hard mode soon. Got to be my fave game in the last couple of years on any format!

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
                  And that is precisely why Fusion left me feeling so Meh. It sounds like Zero Mission suffers in the same way. The great thing about Super Metroid was that you didn't have to force yourself to explore the world, it just sort of happened. The whole game was brilliant with the exploration and progression finely balanced. Fusion threw all of that away and essentially you have the 2 core elements of metroid unravelled.
                  That's a pretty big misconception. All of the exploration and progression elements from Super Metroid were retained in Zero Mission. The sequence of events is transparent, and it's possible to break if you're creative enough. It is certainly nothing like Fusion where you progress to stage 2 after beating stage 1 and aren't allowed to return until the very end. Although...maybe you're picking up a little bit of it in our comments because:
                  Originally posted by spoiler
                  After losing your suit you're confined to the Space Pirate Mothership, a pretty large area, for a good portion of the game and you aren't allowed to leave until you acquire a new one. It's not so dissimilar from certain areas in Super Metroid where you're confined to a series of rooms and aren't allowed to leave until you find a powerup or the way out. And there are certain items outside the ship you can't pick up without the Space Jump, Power Bombs, and Gravity Suit you get while inside. But once you complete the section and have full access to all of Samus's abilities again, you find that the ship is as much a part of the rest of the world as the other zones, with its own hidden passages and items.

Comment

Personally I'd much rather pay ?18, which I have, for Zero Mission and complete it in 4 hours than pay ?30 for something that's much bigger and harder, but ultimately not nearly as fun. Anyhow, with the likes of Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Harvest Moon, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and Castlevania's all out on the GBA, all requiring serious levels of time to play, I'm happy there are games I can blast through and enjoy.

Anyhow wasn't it Striders GamesTM that wrote an open letter to Nintendo in the Fire Emblem review asking for shorter games.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxon
                      That's a pretty big misconception. All of the exploration and progression elements from Super Metroid were retained in Zero Mission. The sequence of events is transparent, and it's possible to break if you're creative enough. It is certainly nothing like Fusion where you progress to stage 2 after beating stage 1 and aren't allowed to return until the very end.
                      Jaxon thanks for clearing that up, this sounds more like my kind of game. Looks like I was reading a little too much into the comparisons between Fusion and Zero Mission. If this is closer to Super in spirit then I will be picking this game up.

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
                        Personally I'd much rather pay ?18, which I have, for Zero Mission and complete it in 4 hours than pay ?30 for something that's much bigger and harder, but ultimately not nearly as fun. Anyhow, with the likes of Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Harvest Moon, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and Castlevania's all out on the GBA, all requiring serious levels of time to play, I'm happy there are games I can blast through and enjoy.
                        Spot on.

I've managed to get Zero Mission for ?20, and if I manage to get four hours of enjoyment out of the game then the ?20 will be more than worthy of it.

On the other hand we have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which (for me) was utterly dull and slow for the first 15 or so hours before becoming anywhere near interesting. I paid ?30 for that and it has lasted longer, but the first half of it just wasn't fun and became a chore to work through, to the point where I almost gave up on it. When you spend 52 hours a week working in an office, having something that you can sit down after work with and have a blast playing is a godesend - even if it is just for 4 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
                          Personally I'd much rather pay ?18, which I have, for Zero Mission and complete it in 4 hours than pay ?30 for something

Anyhow wasn't it Striders GamesTM that wrote an open letter to Nintendo in the Fire Emblem review asking for shorter games.....
                          No, I didn't review Fire Emblem (not even got around to playing it yet).

You're right 18 pounds for Zero Mission is an absolute bargain, but the majority of gamers will end up paying around 30-35 quid for it. That's not a bargain.

Anyway, I'm now close to completing it for a second time and will now be refraining from this thread. I really like the game, I just think it's way too short and very easy. I appreciate everyone's comments (especially gameboy's) and will take all this into consideration.

Comment

Question for all you peeps who have completed Metroid:Zero Mission.

I have also completed it but want to go back to all the original areas and 100% the power ups. How can I get back to the other areas? I see on the map there should be a route from The Space Pirate ship back to the other areas but cant find it? please help Gamesmaster??????

cheers.

Comment

Strider- Maybe in your you can highlight where the game is so cheap (Tronix and Videogamesplus are just 2), or recommend purchasing from Game so that it can be returned before 10 days.

Comment

I got mine form DVD box office but it has still not shipped.

I think there price is around the ?20 mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X