No announcement yet.

Ninja Gaiden / Ninja Gaiden Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finished ninja gaiden last night on normal with 45 scarabs in about 35 hours. my judgement: simply the best non-shooter action game on the xbox. period.

it's a game that gets better the longer you play it - just like halo. combat never gets boring and there's so much detail int the controls and the gameplay in general. great level design an graphics as well. the story could have been better, but it's ok for an action game. i've already started a second game - not just to find the remaining scarabs to unlock the original ninja gaiden but also for fun too.

the ending indicates that a sequel is very likely. let's hope for!

Comment

Yeah I started again as soon as I'd finished too Funny how much easier it seems second time though, granted you can't change the difficulty with the second runthrough savegame it gives you when you finish, but bosses that did my head in before like Alma and the tanks & helicopter have all fallen to me first time so far Got the 50 scarabs now

Comment

Originally posted by womblingfree
        Just played through the first few levels.

What is up with the backgrounds? Xbox character models from 2004 running around Dreamcast scenery circa 2000?! Ryu also walks like a girly boy.

Camera is managable, just. It reminds me of the camera in ZOE2 in it's chaotic swinging around. What is up with the 'interact' feature? Many times I have been mid way through a fight only for the action to freeze so that i can be told,'There is a dead ninja lying on the ground.'

Also the cutscenes seem to have little or nothing to do with the gameplay. Beautiful cut scene of a burning village preceeded by running through a definitely not burning village. No smoke, flames, particle effects. All eye candy I know but it would add to the atmosphere.

One for the Old Skool. Enjoyable enough but could have done with a few more months fine tuning.
        As a quick re-cap:
        I wrote that a month ago and I've been playing NG most days since then. Currently on the big fire dragon.
        Whilst i still think the backgrounds are rather bland I have to say that it is an excellent and compelling game.
        Hey this is called 'First play' though right? and the above comments were my first impression

Comment

I'm at the end now and aside from the camera issues, which weren't as bad once I'd gotten used to it, I've really enjoyed this game.

I think Tecmo have struck a good balance of difficulty within the game; bosses that initally made short work of you, would gradually succumb to your abilities and would fall.

For instance; I went into one particular mini-boss battle (the 2 worms), with half an energy bar and a Talisman of Rebirth, my goal was not to take any hits, since they do mucho damage. It took my an hour, but I did it.

My favourite boss battle so far...
          Originally posted by spoiler
          Vigoorian Boss Mk II - Superb, when those skulls started reigning in on me, out came the Vigoorian Flails, which cut through everything.

Comment

Another across the finish line here.

Well what can I say, I enjoyed it a lot but tbh I started to find it a real grind for the last 3/4 levels, as mentioned before it does just turn into mini boss/mini boss/boss battles interspersed with a small amount of getting from one place to the next. I preferred it when there was a tad more exploration in the earlier levels but then again that's not really what the game is about so fair enough.

A fantastic fighting engine but just not really my cup of tea overall. Though a mention must go to the final and 3rd from the end (field of flowers is all I'm saying) cg movies. Like I said I was a bit jaded by that point but they cheered me up no end. Absolutely stunning I thought.

And again as mentioned earlier, what was the 'Team Ninja would like to thank you or themselves (can't remember) for playing or making one of the games of this generation'.

Excuse me my head's too big to get through the door. Deary me I think they should leave that up to their audience to decide. It was good yes but not one of the games of this generation imo but each to their own.

Anyway enjoyable stuff but I won't be going back.

Originally posted by spoiler

P.S. A mention must go to the bit under the monastery when you fall off the ropebridge and have to activate a red and blue key/stone/whatever. One of the most laffable moments when the locks/latches open, they look like they're gonna fall off and it's just so clunky. Made me crease up...

Comment

FHM magazine have reviewed it this month and gave it 1 out of 5!!! They played for about 18 mins and then couldnt get past the first boss so after 50 attempts they gave up!

Comment

Seriously...?

That is hilarious and just says it all...

Comment

Ack. Played it for around two hours, and have constantly has by backside handed to me. The camera is a bother, but that's only annoyed me during those horse battles on level 2. I was expected a challenge but at the moment it's more like a chore than a game. Even the goons seem to be able to kill me easily, let alone the bosses (I nearly gave up on the first one). To cap it all, I just spent around 20 minutes taking my time through the level after the airship, then these ninjas throwing exploding things at me and I get toasted. Again.

I'm not asking for hints (doubtless there will be tons in this thread somewhere) but I am already getting fed up of it. For me personally, it's like Devil May Cry all over again (which isn't a good thing). However, I'm willing to give it time. Plus for ?20 I can't really argue

Comment

Definately gets better the longer you play it. As your skill level increases ( along with your understanding that you really do need to use the Block button ) it becomes a bit more enjoyable.

Having said that I think if Team Ninja really do believe the comments they made about this game before it was released then they should be given a damn good kicking.

Its fun but flawed ( spawning enemies on top of you straight at a save point is just poor IMO ).

Comment

Also the fact that you have to replay whole sections before trying the bosses again is unforgiveable. I want to enjoy and experience the game not have it destriyed by repetition and reloading

Comment

I'm really, really enjoying this. I'm not an uber gamer by any means, but it's clicking quite well with me. Sections that were once impossible are now quite easy, and I know this is only because I've actually got better at the game. It's all about the block button, learning when to *stop* combos (3-4 hits are often better than 6, because if you go on longer, you'll whiff harder when the enemy recovers, and then that's you stuffed), and careful use of the environment. And of course, coping with the camera.

I've just begun Chapter 9. Hardest boss, so far, really, would be 2's Samurai Horseman. Alma was damn hard to start with, but mad jumping/rolling, careful application of Ninpo and some evil combos saw her off in no time. Most annoying bit so far, the blue/red button rooms. Hate jumping. Have just hit the Warehouse and it's driving me mad. But all in all, am very impressed; having a lot of fun with the beat-em-up elements, and it's quite surprising how so much of the levels can be reused in new contexts.

Spawning enemies at save points is a bummer, though. Also, the black-spider ninjas require a paradigm shift in skill: they are seriously tough for 'bog standard' enemies, to begin with. Jump like buggery. Avoid the shuriken. Nail the bastards. You'll be fine

Comment

I'm really impressed with this game. I got it erm... Bank holiday money and i played it for a couple of hours. I'm feeling the challenge of it all with the almost endless waves of enemies. Graphically i'm stunned by it the areas are amazingly realistic.Although i have one beef with the game where the hell are the saves points?

I'm on the 2nd chapter where your running around the village and then you get trapped between to flaming gates and you have to fight off the horseman which is pretty difficult cos i run out of arrows to knock em' off the horses, and when i can't be bothered to play it any longer i load up from the first levels save point cos i can't find one so far on the second chapter :| but all in all i can truely believe its a must have xbox title. Oh and those camera angle issues can be easily worked out by using the second analogue stick to manually adjust the camera.

Comment

I played this albeit shortly, and it was entirely mediocre with average graphics a bad camera and tedious gameplay dynamic...but then it might have been the level I was playing. Also the game wasn't difficult clever, it was difficult unbalanced and unfair. And who the heck thinks 3rd to first person shooting is a good idea?

Comment

It does seem to have got a bit better. The enemies drop health for once, and I spent an hour on some respawning bad guys to get myself the moon armlet and tons of life potions. The sword upgrade improves things immensly, as you can actually dish out some beatings for once. Shame the PAL version lacks the decapitations. It may seem only a minor point, but when I finally manage to pull off the charge essence move, I want heads to come off, not just piles of blood.

Hardest boss for me has been the first one. Hit him, drink health, hit him etc. The horses are a nightmare until you stuff the bow, and run up the wall vertically, smashing down on them when the go past.

The bow is a right pain in the arse. Especially as sometimes it refuses to go into first person, then takes an age to get back out of it again. In fact, so far the shruikens are the number one choice, ahead of the windmill shuriken. I love floating people.

Maybe not the right thread, but how does Bunjingai or however you spell it compare? Is it easier and better? I may be forced to get my first ever import game, as I hate stupidly difficult games. The save placement is ridiculous given the relentless hammering the goons give you. When you die, it doesn't have the good grace to carry over your earned essence a la Viewtiful Joe to help make things easier.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj
                                I'm really impressed with this game. I got it erm... Bank holiday money and i played it for a couple of hours. I'm feeling the challenge of it all with the almost endless waves of enemies. Graphically i'm stunned by it the areas are amazingly realistic.Although i have one beef with the game where the hell are the saves points?
                                After you've crossed the bridge and before you enter the village, there's a statue/save-point lurking in the corner.

Comment

Working...
                                X