No announcement yet.

Steel Battalion: Line of Contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get me wrong right, but you're marking the game down due to technical issues, beyond Capcom's control? Maybe they can patch the game, fix some lag issues (I doubt it, various reasons...) but even so, there is a fasinating level of depth to the title that I think will go overlooked because of online issues.

I'd rather it weren't reviewed at all, if a game cannot be gleaned for all its content. Know what I mean?

I played for around 4 hours last night, campaign mode, and got some decent stuff going on. Optional parts are now in my inventory along with 80,000 supply points. Not great, granted, but it makes me feel much more comfortable with the game, having a few "buffer" points to cushion some bad games

Another hint, for anybody interested -- the sidestep pedal is analogue in control, so use it as such. I had someone "complain" I was cheating, because of how often I was sidestepping/jumping. It was simply a case of "tapping" the control to gain four, maybe five jumps before an overheat. Something one learns playing the original title, carried over to LoC.

(note, also helps with an additional power cell ).

Comment

Don't get me wrong right, but you're marking the game down due to technical issues, beyond Capcom's control?
      The decision to make the online game totally peer to peer was a poor choice no matter what way you look at it.

Sure, having a slowish connection is going to cause problems but not on the scale that SB has caused.

It should be noted that Capcom Vs SNK 2 for live was a total lagfest too...

*sees a pattern forming*

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
        Don't get me wrong right, but you're marking the game down due to technical issues, beyond Capcom's control? Maybe they can patch the game, fix some lag issues (I doubt it, various reasons...) but even so, there is a fasinating level of depth to the title that I think will go overlooked because of online issues.
        If it wasn't online only, that would be fair enough, but it isn't the case. As Valken has said, certain problems are Capcom's fault and many people I have spoke are less than happy with the game's current guise as well.

Indeed, I've lost track of the number of people who have since gotten rid of the game, or refuse to play it until the relevant problems are fixed. In my mind, that's what justifies the score, regardless of how immersive.

When we do our next update, for Xbox Live the score will be effected (providing problems are sorted out).

Comment

I'd love to know the percentage of people with problems as I'd reckon they're still in the minority. I can understand your viewpoint but I still think it's a moot point -- what if the game is patched, like Capcom vs. before it? Does this suddenly make the game worthy of a higher mark?

Let's draw parallels to a PC game requiring a certain spec. Just because I can't play or install it, doesn't make it a bad game. But, I feel as though that is what you're doing with SB:LoC, which is unfair (imho). Makes me more than a little frustrated to see some people giving up on a game only a few days after they bought it too; I'd have at least give it a week or so before moving on... maybe they have resolved some problems since, or introduced European servers on official release*? What about the initial problems of suddenly hammering the game servers with new people joining the war, etc?? All problems which may have been resolved, yet certain people have finished already...

I can't comment on the later, it's something only Capcom would know about but I also haven't had any problems playing. Oh well!

* In game is peer-to-peer, but there appears to be centrally managed servers on Live for persistent data.

Comment

Let's draw parallels to a PC game requiring a certain spec. Just because I can't play or install it, doesn't make it a bad game.
            This is a fair point, and me myself (and I *breaks out into De La Soul dance*) certainly still think SB: LoC's got great design and ideas; but even so, the game was out for a month before the UK release appeared, and these were problems evident in the Beta version. Capcom have had over 6 weeks to sort this mess out.

And if they're too lazy to do something about it, then I don't want to play their stinking game

Comment

Game info:

Note the server reset time is back to 21:30hrs in the UK. Garpike (HSD - melee, Jar like), M3 (PRF - Railgun), Siegeszug (RB - evil feckin' mechs, don't get in their way!) and Jaralaccs NS-R (JAR - Jar C & N combined) VTs available in turn 6 (limited).

Comment

Extra hint (applies to both games):

Don't fire your weapons unless you're within effective range! Can't remember the range? You don't have too - the targetting cursor (once locked on) changes to represent an effective firing pattern for sub and main weapons. Fire anything outside of this range (distance or close) and you'll do no damage.

edit: Same applies to guided weapons; if one is coming towards you (say, PZ-mis), don't release chaff if you're outside of the effective range (note that missles have a minimum range too [1000m], so if you're close it renders them useless).

I played somebody last night who constantly shot at me outside the range of his guns. I just kept my distance and levelled the city (mission 18?) until he stopped firing; he'd ran out of ammo

Comment

Another hint:

Use the manipulator to target main weapons in melee mode. Yep, that's right - if you're in melee mode (e.g. Decider with plasma torch active, close range targetting on the HUD), your main gun is in "standby" and you can't obtain a target lock. Activating the manipulator arm will activate a targetting cursor, allowing a main weapon lock in melee mode.

Just remember to turn the arm off if you want to use your melee weapon.

(applies to both games)

Comment

Just to address something Marklar said about SB not working on some connections being like some games not running on low spec PCs...

I know "teh Xbox is teh PC" is a bit of a running joke on the internet but the comparison is unfair...

If the someone buys a console game and has what is for all intents and purposes a connection suitable for online gaming and it doesn't operate because of poor design or implementation you can't compare it to games that use new technology to run as intended.

Marking a game down because it doesn't operate correctly is perfectly legitimate in the console world (I'd even argue that games that need high spec PCs are a taking the piss a little)

Comment

Originally posted by Valken
                      Marking a game down because it doesn't operate correctly is perfectly legitimate in the console world (I'd even argue that games that need high spec PCs are a taking the piss a little)
                      That's exactly my point, the game was created for ONLINE PLAY and at this moment in time, it doesn't do the job it set out to. As I've already explained, once Tekki does get patched it will receive an updated score in the magazine (the same as we did with PGR2 which rose to a 10).

Obviosley, I'm not going to change Markler's mind, but I for one actually forked out a 130 quid for this and it's not providing me with the experience that was promised. Went online again last night, and again it took me around 30 minutes to get into a game witohut losing the connection. I'm sorry Markler, but that simply isn't good enough.

Comment

If the someone buys a console game and has what is for all intents and purposes a connection suitable for online gaming and it doesn't operate because of poor design or implementation you can't compare it to games that use new technology to run as intended.
                        That's exactly my point, the game was created for ONLINE PLAY and at this moment in time, it doesn't do the job it set out to.
                        See, I'm gonna be pendantic now and say it is a fair comparison. At the end of the day, there are minimum guidelines for Xbox Live usage that some do not meet (for whatever reason); I do, and have had zero problems with the game. It does do the job it set out to do and I'm enjoying every minute.

Strider, when did you go on last night dude? Maybe you entered campaign around server reset... Other connection problems can be due to running a restricted server, which give the host a choice of who plays or not. Open servers, OTOH, have no such restriction (apart from kicking people) so maybe you were getting into bad sessions again? Also, connection problems may not be your fault but rather the host or other players in open session.

Have you tried running some games in free mode? I bet you don't have any problems playing, just getting into a solid game. Maybe you should add me to your friends list and jump in some games with me? I can't play tonight mind, but I'm on mostly from 22:00-03:00.

edit: btw, I do understand what you guys are saying but I feel it unfair [for a publication] to mark a game poorly based on one, maybe two reviewer's bad online experience. I feel the depth of the title hasn't been experienced to any suitable degree and disregarded like a cheap whore

Comment

I was simply trying to get into a free game last night (around 8.30) and was still having problems. As I've explained, I've spoken to lots of people online who currently have the game and not one person has told me that they've not experienced any problems.

Hopefully if people continue to complain, Capcom may actually do something about it. The average gamer will expect to play Steel battalion like any other Xbox Live title, and this is something they won't be able to do.

Comment

I definately approve of this game getting a bad review. I've had a few solid games, but more often than not there has been serious lag. I also meet the requirements of XBox Live. The issues seem to effect people randomly.

I love the game though. I hope that a bad review will result in a patch or something that will sort the issues out. I see no technical reason that every LOC player's game shouldn't be lag free. It's not as if there are hundreds of mechs running around on each map.

Comment

edit: btw, I do understand what you guys are saying but I feel it unfair [for a publication] to mark a game poorly based on one, maybe two reviewer's bad online experience. I feel the depth of the title hasn't been experienced to any suitable degree and disregarded like a cheap whore
                              But it's impossible for many of us to experience that depth, Marklar. I don't think I'm alone in considering the quality of the single player - which is almost as deep anyway. If we could just play it we'd all love it

Comment

God damn its frustrating Still think you're in the minority; I've played 20 hours online now and still haven't had any issues. Nobody has mentioned it the past few days, so all you lag'ers leaving have probably made it better for everyone else

Originally posted by hank
                                But it's impossible for many of us to experience that depth, Marklar.
                                That's exactly my point -- I don't approve of a bad review as the content of the game hasn't been experienced properly to warrant any kind of game play review (imho). Maybe if you just printed "Capcom screwed this game up so bad, we refuse to review the game until such a time it is playable"; you understand my point??

Is Splinter Cell:PT gonna get marked down for crashes and voice lag?

Comment

Working...
                                X